“Basic but comfortable”

Thistle City Barbican
Ranked #590 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Spent two nights here while on business in the area. The hotel is in a residential area, 10 minutes from Old Street Tube. I had a single room in the older annex which was a reasonable size but tired looking and the bathroom was fairly old fashioned. On the plus side the room was quiet and there was a kettle and tea/coffee available and a good, free WiFi service. I didn't use the restaurant as there are a number of pubs and restaurants within walking distance.

Room Tip: Stay in main building as this is more modern.
1  Thank psandps
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Dear psandps
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Thistle City Barbican
I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and you found the room comfortable
Jane and team

There are newer reviews for Thistle City Barbican

Reviewed March 4, 2013

The Hotel was very clean and our room was was of a very good standard. There were tea and coffee making facilities. Our outlook wasn't too exciting but it didn't seem to matter, after all this is a city hotel.
There was a lovely deep bath, with a fixed shower which was a bit of a nuisance
if you didn't want to get your hair wet but all your requirements were there including a hairdryer, shower gel and shampoo plus lots of very clean towels.
The staff were very friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble.
Breakfast was a self service delight, with something for everyone from cereals to full English. Unlimited amounts of Coffee and Tea was served by cheerful attentive waiting staff.
We had an evening meal in the restaurant, which was very good, do give it a go should you stay there.
There is a fitness suite and swimming pool, we had a look and it all seemed pretty good, we never got around to using it, but, it was good to know it was all in the price and there should you feel the need.
Just one downside the nearest tube is around a fifteen minute walk away, the one we used was the Barbican. However, there are Taxis outside the hotel which you could use to take you there.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Shehzerade
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Thistle City Barbican
i was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and will pass on your positive comments
about the breakfast and service you received to the team .
jane and team

Reviewed March 4, 2013

I visited this hotel as part of a group of four office colleagues as we have an office in London we were training at. All four of us disliked this hotel immensely and will not be visiting it again. I will offer the most balanced opinion as I have recently stayed in a number of other hotels in the area and therefore have a valid base for comparison.

The lobby area and public areas are impressive and in stark contrast to the run down poorly maintaned block of rooms we were directed to. I imagine there are executive suites available witihn the same building as the reception area and so my review may be biased as we were housed in the 'cheap rooms'. The block of rooms over the road from the main building in a five floor building full on tiny unkempt rooms.

I asked for a quiet room as I am a poor sleeper and was given a shoebox of a room with a narrow single bed (like something out of a caravan) overlooking four large air-conditioning units. i promptly about-turned and went back to the lobby and had my room changed to one i was assured by the Italian girl on reception was quiet. So back I went, taking the lift this time to the top floor where I found my room situated right next to the lift. The room was anything but quiet. The noise of the lift motor, recorded annoucenments to 'mind the doors' and the traffic noise from outside (through woefully old possibly single glazed windows) seemed cacophonous during the night.

The room itself had tea/coffee facilities and it's own ironing board (made for dwarves) and surprisingly functional iron. The television was okay and having been upgraded to a twin room I found that I had a decent amount of space, although the beds again seemed to be stolen from a caravan. The bathroom was grubby and had fixtures that needed screwing back on properly. The shower was powerful, but the temperature control was stuck on temperature level more suited to boiling potatoes than washing my bits!

All in all and even ignoring the three unhappy faces I was greeted with in the morning from my fellow guests I will not be returning.

Room Tip: I would advise you to either get the most expensive room you can if you MUST stay here and you can a...
1  Thank couchmagpie

Dear Couchmagpie
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Thistle City Barbican
I was sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay and that my receptionist could not allocate
you a quiet room.
Thank you for your feedback which we take seriously and will act upon
jane

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Corporate bookinfg forgot to include breakfast. On Weds 27th Asian lady in black suit was so polite and kindly got us coffee and pastries. This helped four of us who were so embarassed.
In the evening Mush was also so professional, helpful and both members of staff represented excellent customer service.
The second day breakfast dabarcle was resolved by employer..Excellent experience, chef making omelette etc at your table. Lovely.
I became ill with flu and staff proptly gave extra blankets during the night. I waited minutes. Really impressed with this excellent hotel.

Dear Vpea
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Thistle City barbican
I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and will pass on your comments
in regards to the service to the team.
Thank you for your feedback and recommendation
kind regards
jane and team

Reviewed February 28, 2013

I have just returned from a 2 day theatre break and this hotel was a "mystery" hotel so I didn't know the name till I booked! Having read reviews I was concerned as they were quite mixed. Having paid only £75 a night with breakfast I hoped for the best! The hotel is a 10min walk to Old Street tube. It is not really walkable to any tourist spots but most attraction are easy enough to get to by tube. The theatres and Covent garden are a 20min tube away. The room I had was clean and adequate. If I wanted to be picky then I noticed a couple of bits of loose wallpaper by radiator. Our room was a premium room in the main building. The bathroom was fine. The breakfast in the morning was good with plenty of choice. The only problem I had was reception allocated someone else my room on 2nd day luckily I had just returned to my room. I was told it was accidental due to system being down.
To summarise I thought I got a bargain for London so no complaints. Next time I might try and stay nearer theatres but I would use this hotel again if I got a good rate

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank stevecuth

Dear Stevedcu
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Thistle City Barbican
I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay .
Thank you or your feedback and recommendation
Jane and Team

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed for 3 nights whilst visiting family in London. The first room I was allocated was on the second floor and very dark and dated. The safe was locked shut and the overflow in the bath was leaking causing an annoying dripping sound all night. I reported these problems the following morning, however on my return nothing had been rectified. I requested a move to a different room and this was immediately arranged with no fuss. The new room was on the fifth floor and a complete contrast to the original room. There was a strong smell of paint and the room had obviously just had a facelift and was lovely and light with a view out to the Shard and the Gherkin.

The staff were helpful and polite, but overall I was unimpressed with the general facilities, only one lift was working and the bar prices were too high to enjoy an evening on site.

There is an excellent fish and chip shop/cafe just opposite the hotel, that was recommended to us by several cab drivers as the best in London.

The location of the hotel was just a bit too far from the Barbican tube station for me and for the money there are better deals to be had in the city, there was nothing on offer at this hotel to tempt me back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor with a view
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Anwen B
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Dear Anwen B
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle City Barbican
I was very sorry to read of the problems you encountered with your first room.
One of our lifts is currently out of service as it is being replaced which at peak times can cause short delays .
Thank you for your feedback and your very positive comments in regards to the team
Jane and team

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Small rooms and dirty carpet in my room in February 2013.
The couple in front of me were canceling the rest of their reservation because their shower and sinks were dirty (mine seemed clean). Too many reviews with bad experiences (I read too late) -- save your money.

5  Thank a11424
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear a11424
Thank you for writing a review of the Thistle City Barbican
I am sorry that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations.
Cleanliness is of the utmost improtance and stains on a carpet are not acceptable and for this I do apologies.
Thank you for your feedback which we take extremely seriously
Jane