Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch
$288
$279
Orbitz.com
3,396 results
All reviewsold street tube stationsteam roomtheatre breaktea and coffeegood nights sleepfull englishwest endtaxisshoreditch
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Unfortunately, I was stranded in London as my flight was cancelled. British Airways sent me to this hotel from Heathrow Terminal 5. The room was tiny, as was the bathroom, but overall, comfortable. Dinner, which was buffet style, was adequate, nothing special though. The bar area I sat in afterwards was quite small and every time anyone entered the hotel, a blast of cold air could be felt. As I was staying there not through choice, I may have checked out the other facilities like the swimming pool or the fitness suite, which seem quite good in the brochure. I didn't have to pay the bill as this was picked up by British Airways, but I would say that if I had paid the £106 for the room dinner and breakfast (which was buffet style and plentiful), I would say it would have been good value.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear Tab2Tab
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Thistle City Barbican .
i am glad that for the short time you were with us that we were able to make you comfortable .
it is certainly not fun when flights are cancelled due to bad weather . it is a shme that you did not get a chance to use the leisure facilities as they are very good .
Thank you for your feedback and I do hope we will have a opportunity of welcoming you back on a future occasion .

Reviewed February 6, 2013

I would describe the hotel as a solid 3/5 rating - it's perfectly nice to stay at and can be perfectly affordable via some booking sites, yet I don't consider the rooms to be much over the quality of a budget hotel.

This isn't a negative point - clearly the hotel is 4 star for the brilliant health club, bar and restaurant; but the room we had was fairly dated.

Location wise, it's about 20 minutes walk from the Barbican and 15 minutes from either Old Street or Angel stations, meaning it's a nice isolated.

Overall, an average stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Dear Pikerloo
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Thistle City Barbican
I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and very pleased to see your very positive comments in regards to the Health Club and restuarant .

Reviewed February 5, 2013

I had this hotel booked for me while I was help man a stand at a trade show. Having stayed there last year around the same time, I did try and book elsewhere .. but the booking was all pre-paid, so couldn't. So I had hoped for some changes.

Not much had changed. Bed not comfortable, room SO dated (like mid 80's style), drinks expensive and very little choice. But the staff on the front desk were nice.

Location isnt great, it would take you a good 10 minutes to walk at a pace to anywhere near the Barbican. Nearest tube is 10 mins too. So taxi's everywhere increases the price ... and even if you get a good price (I paid £111 per night) .. after taxis as well it would have been better staying elsewhere nearer a tube.

I would stay again ... if the price was right. Anything over £100 per night and I would proabably look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Try to get in the main building and not the annex part ...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear Pete2306
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle City Barbican .
I was very pleased to read your comments about the team which I will pass on to them but sorry to see that you did not feel the hotel had changed since your last visit .
Our rooms in the main building are brightly decorated and curtain design would seem a little 80's . A 100 of the twins and doubles in the front building were redecorated last year and are more contemporary in style.
In regards to our location there are some very good transport links but they are all a 10 minute walk away .

Reviewed February 4, 2013

It's on my company defined list so I have little choice. However, it has good and bad points:

Good: Gym, 10 min walk to Old Street station, excellent Fish restaurant nearby, reasonably priced for the location and now free WIFI

Bad: Only one lift working out of 2 makes for long waiting (when will it be fixed?), mandatory service charge for food (blows my expenses), as mentioned below the inroom AC in many rooms is a little flaky. Generally the decor belongs in 1988 rather than 2012 and I hate plastic shower curtains!

OK for business but I wouldn't take the wife. And I did not appreciate why did they inceased my rate from average 125 per night to over £300 during the first week of the Olympics?

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade if you can afford
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Dear Nigel Mac
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle City Barbican .
I was very pleased to read your very positive comments in regards to the hotel.
With our lift I am afraid this will be out of service for a while as part of the upgrade programme we are installing complete new lifts into the building which is a necessity .The programme is planned to limit disruption as much as possible but will take up to 9 months to complete .
Thank you for your constructive feed back

Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night. After the reviews I was a little apprehensive but there was no need. The room was large and clean. A nice flat screen telly, a double bed and two chairs and coffee table.

We had a great nights sleep and got up early to use the facilities. They is a gym, swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. I didn't use the gym but took full advantage and the rest and spent over an hour in there.

I will stay here next time I stay in london I won't bother with any where else.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank jaxjax123

Dear Jaxjax123
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Thistle City Barbican
I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and would be returning.
Thank you for your very positive feedback and recommendation