Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch
Ranked #576 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I fly to London quite a lot and choose to stay at this hotel whenever I am in town. It started because I have friends in the area so it was convenient, but this Hotel is continually one of the nicest and most affordable places to stay in London. I arrived there for a few nights in December I booked just a single room as I was solo. The room was very clean and neat as expected, but unfortunately the water in the shower was very hot, something was wrong with the thermostat I expect. I called reception to report it, they immediately transferred me to another larger room and called the maintenance man to take a look at the shower in my old room. I was really impressed with the level of customer service and the fast pace of arranging things. The concierge service is excellent, information about the city and taxi bookings were a breeze. This is always the number one choice!

3  Thank Hollance
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2013

Dear Hollance
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Thistle City Barbican
I was very pleased to read that you always enjoy your stay with us. Thank you for your very positive comments in regards to the team and the service you have experienced .
We look forward to welcoming you back on a future occasion .
jane and team

Write a ReviewReviews (3,238)

Reviewed January 9, 2013

I booked this hotel because I was going to a concert at the Barbican. In the event it took me twenty minutes to walk there though I did find a shorter route on the way back. Both ways were very quiet and as a woman on her own I didn't feel very safe. Also coming back from a day in central London I found the walk from the underground grim.
I had booked a single room but paid extra to have a deluxe room which was fine though nothing special and not very large.
The staff were efficient and pleasant.
All things considered I shall not stay there again.r

3  Thank ann a
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Dear Ann A

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle City Barbican .
I was sorry to read that you were disappointed with the location of the hotel , The Barbican centre and underground station is 10-12minutes walk from the hotel and the area is residential and can be quieter in the evenings .
I was pleased to read thta you liked the room and found the team to be pleasant .

Reviewed January 9, 2013

We ,4 ladies, stayed here over the New Year 2013 for NY Eve night. We got to the hotel to meet up and had a coffee then we handed over our bags to the concierge until we were ready to book in later,so we were free to explore the area. We had lunch in a local pub The Shakespeare where we had gorgeous burgers mmm ! then back to hotel to spend a relaxing afternoon in the 'spa'. A little dissappointing as jacuzzi wasn't working and spa quite grubby and no lockers or towels ! but towels were found and thew staff couldn't apologise enough The spa is not run by the hotel so they have no control over it. We went out into the night with directions from the excellent staff to find the fireworks etc !! when we returned at 1.30 am the staff welcomed us with cries of Happy New Year that continued in the morning when we eventually got going !! we were able to leave our bags again so we could go out for the day unhampered until we picked them up at 5pm.
Rooms were lovely and clean and lots of tea and coffee etc.
Thanks to The Thistle City we had a lovely start to the New Year.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank tanyg

Dear Tanyg
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle City Barbican .
I was very pleased to read that you had a great time with us and I will pass your comments on to the team.
I am sorry that the Spa was not as good as it should be and very disappointed that you felt it was grubby , New lockers will be installed in the next month and the Jacuzzi is now up and running .
Thank you for your feedback and recommendation

Reviewed January 6, 2013

stayed for new year our toilet was not working had to ask them twice to fix it, dirty walls in room and holes in curtains bathroom very small couldnt belive it for a four star it was more like a hostel it was very far from everything in london. good points are friendly staff and breakfast was gorgeous.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Amy A
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Dear AmyA
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle CityBarbican
I was sorry to read that you were disappointed with your room . The hotel is an AA rated 3 star but you should not find holes in your curtains or a toilet not working and I apologise for the poor standard of housekeeping.
On a positive note I was pleased to read thta you found the staff friendly and enjoyed our breakfast .
Happy new year

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I stayed here one night in December. I’d booked a single room but I was pleased to see that I’d been allocated a double on arrival. The room size was good, and it was very clean. It was disappointing, however, to see that the wallpaper was peeling off the walls in some places, and there was even a big hole in one of the walls.
The good:- although quite a walk from Old Street Tube stn., it is quite close to take a bus from Old Street, and connect with Islington and Kings Cross areas. The room size was very good. The quality of sleep was great, no noise from other guests (although there did not appear to be many people staying), nor any street noise. The Spa facilities were great. I enjoyed a massage and reflexology for a very competitive price. Highly recommended. The breakfast was good.
The not good:- As others have mentioned, it is quite a walk from Old Street Tube station, so beware if you are carrying suitcases. The rooms are in need of redecorating.
By far the worst thing was the service at reception. My check in process took a little longer than necessary. However, my check out process was the worst I have ever experienced.
I understood that I could check out later on a Sunday (6pm) with no fuss. I was told by the receptionist that it would cost me an extra £20. I pointed out that it is a free benefit offered for Signature reward members. The receptionist just kept changing her story so that she was just contradicting me and herself, and I noticed that she had her arms folded in front of her the whole time covering up her name badge. It was like a bad comedy sketch/role play.
I complained later when I’d got home, and was emailed twice by a manager. The spelling and punctuation in these emails left a lot to be desired, and I am left wondering whether they can really be so unprofessional, or whether they were just having a laugh at my expense.
Try elsewhere first, and only come here as a last resort

1  Thank ImASunseekerMe

Dear ImASunseekerME
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Thistle City Barbican
I was very sorry to read that you had caused to comment on the service you received from my reception desk and the subsequent correspondence and for this I do apologise.
We are going through the process of updating our rooms and 100 rooms were decorated last year and this will continue over a period of time .
I was pleased to read that you felt the size of the room was good and that you enjoyed the Spa facilities .
Thank you for your feedback which we will act upon

Reviewed January 3, 2013

One working lift for a hotel this size was, at busy times, not nearly enough so we were glad to only have two flights of stairs to our room. The room was standard with the usual basic amenities although the second chair, which should have been situated with its pair at the table, had obviously gone walkies! Provision of tea/coffee/milk in the room was mean and a request at reception for more met with a poor response for a four star hotel. There was no choice of pillows and the ones provided were, in our opinion, of poor quality and the cushions were eventually brought into play as replacements!
The bathroom was poorly lit and the shower very disappointing as there was no way of adjusting the flow. The towels, placed in the tub for replacement, were just folded and put back on the rail - or this hotel has a lot of towels with black marks on (already there when first used)!
I would not use this hotel again because of the disappointing standard of accommodation and service from reception staff, none of which I don't consider typical of Thistle Hotels. Location has to be another negative. Whilst we knew it was obviously by the Barbican, distance from the subway was, especially after an evening out, a tad too far.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Geffold

Dear Geffors
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle City Barbican .
I am sorry that you had cause to comment in regards to the service you received from our front desk and housekeeping and for this I do apologise .
We furnish all rooms with a small supply of tean and coffee on a daily basic and will automatically tops this up on request . In regards to the towels in the bath I will ensureour housekeeping team are reminded that the towels should be changed .
Thank you for your feedback which we will act upon

Reviewed January 3, 2013

The reception area looks very well kept but once you get into the corridors you realise that the hotel is a little worn. Since we didn't eat at the hotel the only contact we had with the staff was when checking in and the lady who we saw was very friendly.
We were attending an event so had booked the hotel purely as somewhere to sleep that night, rather than for the quality of the hotel itself. I had always thought Thistle were supposed to be a posh chain but I'd say the quality of the room was slightly lower than a decent Travelodge. The furnishings were all a little worn, the room was tiny (not really a problem for us) but what was an issue were the very thin walls. We could hear everything in the adjacent rooms. Also the size of the room meant that the bed was in the corner so if you are a couple one of you will have to climb over the other to get in and out of bed.
Overall no major complaints - it served its purpose as a place to stay and the staff we saw were lovely, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who was going to spend any time in their room. We have stayed in much nicer hotels in London for the same money.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank centralscrutiniser
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Dear Centralscrutiniser
Thank you for writing a review of the Thistle city Barbican
I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us . The hotel is a little dated in decor but over the last six months we have been updating this , with 100 rooms in our front building being redecorated , 167 rooms had new soft furnishings such as curtains, bed throws and cushions , as well as new carpets in many areas and this will be continuing .
Thank you for your feedback .
Happy New Year