“Will not be staying again.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Thistle City Barbican

Thistle City Barbican
Ranked #578 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Will not be staying again.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

I stayed here for one night on business in December 2012. Checkin was slow (15 minutes). My room was tiny, with two small single beds, and very cold. The insulation against the winter weather is non-existant. The shower was awful.
Then, when closing my room door behind me, the handle came off in my hand. Summed up the hotel for me. Will not be staying there again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank pmooneynet
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
Dear P Mooneynet
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle City Barbican
I was disappointed to read that you would not be staying with us again . I am sorry that you were unhappy with the size of the room booked and that you were cold ,All our rooms are equipped with raidators and our deluxe rooms have the additional feature of air conditioning units which can heat and cool, I am sorry if they were not working to your satisfaction
Have a Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year .
Jane and team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

This hotel was terrible. We were put in a room which can only be described as a cupboard it was so small you had to scuttle around the bed as there was not even 30cm between the bed and the wall. The bathroom was dirty the toilet had not been cleaned from the previous people. Also again because of the size the door stop was located in the middle of the room and was the same colour as the carpet in the morning I stubbbed my toe on it and it was black with bruising, I complained to the receptionist but she didn't seem to care! It is also a terrible location and I wouldn't recommend walking around there late at night.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CharlieTS13
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Charlie TS13
Thank you for writing a review of the Thistle City barbican
i was very sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay in the hotel . There is no excuse for the room not to have been serviced properly and for this I do apologise.
The location of the hotel is in an area of social and expensive private housing and safe but as any where in London it is always better to be careful and when returning to the hotel late at night , I would suggest a taxi is a good option.
Midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

When we read the reviews we were a bit Apprehensive but we were delighted to find a lovely twin room very clean staff very pleasant & helpful breakfast was every you could wish to eat
It took my friend & I about 7 mins to walk to old street underground &we are in our sixties
Mal

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Marilyn B
Dear Malb59

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle City Barbican
I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us .
Thank you for your positve feedback and recommendation
Merry Christmas
Southampton UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

We stayed at the Thistle for one night on Sat 15th December after taking our two boys to see the sights... They are 6 and 3, so one of the reasons I booked this hotel is because they have rooms with connecting doors, so we booked a deluxe double and a deluxe twin, and phoned to explain our requirements.. We were fortunate as they upgraded the double to a Junior Suite,which was great.

The staff are fantastic - very helpful and even though this is primarily a business hotel (no childrens menu), the staff in the restaurant made a real effort to accomodate the children and came up with some other options for them which werent even on the menu.

A 12 noon check out makes things really easy because you dont have to rush about to pack and get gone... My only slight niggle about this place was the swimming pool - it's really grubby and in need of a good clean. That said, I would definitely stay again - if you time it right and manage to pick up a deal on late rooms this is a very reasonable hotel with clean rooms, comfy beds and great staff.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Matt F
Thank you fro taking the time to write a review on the Thistle City Barbican
I was very pleased to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay and my team did their utmost to accommodate your needs .
Thank you for your feedback and recommendation.
We look forward to welcoming you back on a future occassion
Wigan, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

Stayed in a family room for three, found it very plain and basic this combined with it's poor location means it has little to offer for a London City break. Staff all very pleasant, polite and helpful. Breakfast good value.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Laticstraveller
Dear Laticstraveller
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle City Barbican
I was sorry to read that you did not feel that the location had much to offer for a weekend break.
We are a 10 minute walk from two major underground stations which will take you any where in the city. At the end of the road the number 55 or 243 bus will take you to Holborn for Covent Garden or Oxfors street . In walking distance is St Pauls and the trndy area of Hoxton where you can visit the shops and bars in Spittlesfield market .
I was pleased to see that you enjoyed the breakfast selection we offered.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

I booked a standard twin room for my daughter and myself. When I checked in, I was asked whether I wanted to upgrade to a deluxe room for an additional £15. I declined as knew we would only be back to the hotel late at night and to sleep, however did think that this would mean the standard room would be very Basic given the very low price I paid. Wow was I surprised. The room was an excellent size with very comfortable beds. Bathroom was large with a bath and shower. Towels were of a quality you would expect to find in a much more expensive hotel. I ordered a drink from room service which arrived within 5 mins. Staff were courteous, polite and knowledgable. Some of the comments on here suggest the hotel is a bit away from things, but in reality it is only a 5 minute walk from either Old Street or Barbican tube stations, which allows you access to all of London. A real gem for a weekend when the City is quiet and there are bargains to be had.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Rosemary S
Tha nk you for taking the time to write a review on the Thistle City Barbican .
I was very pleased to read that you and your daughter enjoyed your stay with us.
Thank you for your very positve comments and recommendation .
We look forward to welcoming you back on a future occassion .
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

I stayed at the Thistle City Barbican for 4 nights in a single room whilst on business. The room was in an adjacent block opposite the hotel and was a little small (and yes, I hear you say, it was only a single room), but still relatively small and a bit dated. The shower is still operated from the bath taps and the quilt cover was rather grey in colour rather than white. My towels were changed daily (against my will, but ok), but on one occassion were not of the best quality.
On a positive note, the meals served in the restaurant were excellent

Room Tip: Don't get a single room