“Rooms are so small I couldn't open my suitcase!”

Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch
Ranked #568 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 15, 2012

The lobby is deceptively nice, the rooms feel like student dorms from the 70s and haven't been redone well enough to say they're "renovated". A bedcover does not make a renovation. Wallpaper is peeling, bathroom door wouldn't close. I wouldn't mind but for the price, which was what I'd expect for a small (renovated or new) hotel. Concierge was not familiar with how to get to Luton airport (basic, I'd think) or the Heathrow Express train! Not too close to the tube, but walking distance to Islington.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Gibtrotter
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Dear Gibtrotter
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Thistle City Barbican.
I am sorry that you found your room small , our single accommodation does vary in sizeand is a little dated in decor which we are currently addressing with 100 rooms recently being redecorated but they do all have new curtains and bed throws .
The fact that our concierge could not give you directions to some key destinations is not acceptable and will be addressed.
Thank you for your feedback which we take seriously and will act upon.
Jane and team

Write a ReviewReviews (3,275)

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Im a Travel Agent in Gloucester who stayed here on the 11th October for one night, on arrival i was met by A very pleasant young lady called Ursula Mateo,she very helpful in all questioned i asked.
Having read the reviews on here i was a bit apprehensive as to what it was going to be like when we arrived.

We had a double room on the 2nd floor, the room was very clean, extra pillows, safe, air con/heater,mini fridge, and a very comfortable settee to relax and unwind.
The only downfall was that once your in that bed you wont want to get out :)))))
I woke up at 10.05 which meant we missed our breakfast !!!!!

Had a wonderful stay - thanks very much
Tracey :)

Room Tip: I had room 1240 - very happy with it :)

Dear Tracey
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Thistle City Barbican .
I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back on a
future occasion
Thank you for your feedback and I will pass on your comments to Ursula .

Reviewed October 13, 2012

This is not a pretty hotel on the outside... inside, the reception area is good although the corridors are confusingly lablelled. Some of the rooms and corridors are a little tired but by no means the worst I've seen.

The room was a fairly standard, ambitiously four star hotel... probably not up to those standards as it's more than a little old fashioned, but solid and good quality. The twin beds were comfortable and I slept well and although by no means huge, the room was certainly a good size for central London. The colour scheme is more than a little dated but pleasant enough.

Although I paid a corporate rate, public rates are extremely reasonable. In short, I'd consider it a good alternative to a Premier Inn or the like; unremarkable, but good value. It's nothing like a grand hotel but equally, it's not priced in that market.

Breakfast was very good - maybe a little more selection would have been welcome, but otherwise I couldn't fault it.

Dear DavidCF36
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Thistle City Barbican .
I am very pleased to read that you had a comfortable stay and would stay with us again.
Thank you for your feedback and recommendation

Reviewed October 12, 2012

I stayed at this hotel on Wednesday night and was pleasantly surprised at how nice and well decorated reception was and the efficiency of the staff, despite the queue. Others have complained about having to wait a long time but there was a considerable queue when I arrived and this was dealt with promptly and extra staff immediately appeared so only had to wait a couple of minutes. I received an upgrade to a twin room on arrival and found the reception staff to be excellent - they were undoubtedly warm, friendly and efficient.
The gym too is small but well equipped and more than adequate. I didn't use the pool or spa but these again looked fine for a central London hotel.

Room was clean and facilities fine. Nice shortbread biscuits!

Now for the bad points. I ordered room service and was told that there was a £5 tray charge per order. I commented that this was steep to be told in a sing song rude voice that it was company policy. I then commented that that was a charming tone and, to my amusement, the staff member then obviously panicked and was exceedingly nice to me asking if that was ok and would i be alright with the charge. Anyway, point is I basically had to pay £20 for a barely warm tuna toastie and a can of diet coke. As I was a female travelling alone I would not have ventured out in that area of London so the hotel get away with ridiculously high prices for poor food!

Next bad point is hotel is split across 2 buildings with a central drive way and bar smoking area. My room was facing onto that area as are many of the hotel rooms and so it was very loud at night. In fact I was disturbed until after 2.30am with people running around the corridors shouting to each other. Some better sound proofing is definitely required as I do recognise that people are using the hotel for pleasure too and everyone is there for work!

2  Thank E M
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Dear EM
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle City Barbican.
I was very pleased to read your positve comments in regards to the front desk team and the hotels facilities.
I have noted your comments in regards to the tray charge , which is something we are currently reviewing . i am sorry that you were kept awake by other guests who were not as considerate as they should have been in the early hours.
Thank you for your feedback which we do appreciate .
jane and team

Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed one night here on a business trip and was booked into one of the single rooms which turned out to be tiny. The room was at the end of several corridors which smelled rather odd and the whole hotel felt very worn and tired. It took ages for the key card to work, the room smelled a bit musty and the room and and bathroom were not completely clean. The sink and bath had not been properly cleaned and there were cobwebs under the window sill. The furniture was very scruffy with rough edges of broken laminate in several places. The carpet in the bedroom was old, rather grubby and stained. There was nowhere, except on the bed, to put bags to unpack, there was no full length mirror and no drawers, just a few small shelves in an open hanging space. There was a built in ironing board and iron with the trouser press, but the iron did not work and there was an additional ironing board and iron stored in the hanging space, next to the safe. This meant that there was hardly any room to hang clothes as the ironing board took up most of the space. The dial on the working iron was not in English.

The single bed was on castors and moved every time I sat on it, which was rather odd. The chair was old and the upholstery dirty and stained. There was an ancient looking electrical switch unit on the wall above the door - no idea what it was for. The TV was mounted on the wall opposite the bed, over part of the mirror - very odd arrangement.

The room had a window, with old and rather grubby curtains and an equally grubby net curtain, but one of the window catches did not work so the window could not be fully closed.

In the bathroom, the corner sink was tiny, the taps were tarnished, some tiles were cracked and some of the grout was brown and dusty. The towels were old, thin and hard and the toiletries were poor quality.

The breakfast buffet was OK but there was no muesli.

This hotel is expensive for what you get and is also not near a tube station, so it is not very convenient.

1  Thank Retmanc

Dear Retmanc
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the Thistle City Barbican.
Some of our rooms are a little dated in decor which we are currently updating but there is no excuse for poor standards of cleanliness and for this I do apologise and will address the issues highlighted .
Breakfast for us is the most important meal of the day and we do have a varied selection of cereal . We do not have a muesli pre-prepared but have separate bowls of oats, dried fruits and nuts so that guests can mix their own . I will ensure that this is displayed in a clearer way in the future .
Thank you for your feedback which we take extremely seriously.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed at the Thistle Barbican whilst i was undergoing treatment at St; Barts Hospital
the staff were all friendly & obliging,nothing was too much trouble.The room that we stayed in was perfect for our needs. Breakfast was excellent [set me up for the day ] I asked for a late check -out as i was flying back to Jersey on the Friday evening from London City ,this was arranged at no extra cost.I needed to rest each day after my treatment and was not disturbed at all. Thank You to all the staff for their help during which was a stressful time for me .The only thing that could improve the rooms would be a small fridge in which to keep drinks & medication.But all in all i would recommend the Hotel and their staff. Pamela Read [Jersey]

1  Thank pamela r
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Dear Pam & Val
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle City Barbican .
We appreciate your very positive comments and recommendation.
I do hope that you are recovering after your treatment at St Barts .

Reviewed October 7, 2012

I have stayed here before and would recommend this to anyone looking for a relatively good hotel in the centre of London. The main issue is that there is not a good connection to the underground or railway network – even the closest bus service is a 5 minute walk away. However, the hotel does have its own taxi tank.

Barbican tube is a 5-10 minute bus ride away. Similarly Angel is about the same.

I have had no issues with the hotel. Bar prices are expensive but no more than other central London hotels. Room is clean and spacious. Prices for the hotel are good if booked in advance and the staff are helpful. Again, I still had issues checking in and out which seems to take forever.

I have no issues with this hotel and would recommend if staying in London although it is not great for public transport.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear AngusAsh
Thank you for writing a review of the Thistle City Barbican .
We appreciate your positve comments and your recommendation .
We look forward to welcoming you back on a future occassion