8,304 results
All reviews st katherine's dock bridge view xi bar guoman tower tower hill tube station executive room fantastic location bit dated large hotel an upgrade the club lounge theatre break lovely room stayed here for one night full english cooked breakfast tea and coffee
Reviewed May 12, 2007

Having accepted an invitation to a Friday night business function in the City of London, my wife and I thought we'd make a romantic weekend of it, being the sort of thing we'd do perhaps only once a year, living in Worcestershire. So, having had a good experience last year of booking a hotel on-line through a booking agency I adopted the same game plan and spent a couple of hours trawling through sites like London Town, Hotel Doorman and Lastminute.com. Eventually I decided on The Tower, which looked the perfect venue- 4 stars, on-site parking and a great riverside location overlooking Tower Bridge and close to our function venue. Surprisingly, the best price I could find for a Deluxe room was with the hotel direct, but upon calling them 2 days before our visit they said there were no rooms whatsoever available (remember this later!). In desperation I revisited Lastminute.com, who were offering details of hotel prices "so good the hotels won't allow themselves to be named". I don't normally buy that kind of sales line, but from the description given I was pretty sure it was the Tower (and was right), so booked a Standard room with English breakfast, 1 night for £79. Disappointed only Standard rooms available, but at least I'd got the venue I wanted. The night before we were due to travel I looked up a location map on Google, found this review site by accident and was completely gutted to see that just about every reviewer totally slated the place- "don't touch with a bargepole" being the general concensus of numerous reviewers. By this time it was too late to cancel, so hoped for the best, deciding to ask on arrival if any remote chance of a room upgrade . To cut to the chase, upon arrival first impressions were great, we were told at reception that we had been given a free upgrade as hotel was not full (excuse me?), the room was lovely (Deluxe) overlooking Tower Bridge, and we were very impressed with both the customer service and the riverside views from both the XI bar and the Brasserie where an excellent English Breakfast was served. We felt that the quality of accomodation and location was exactly what we were hoping for, and would definitely stay here again and recommend to others. Also would recommend Lastminute.com- all this for £79 was an absolute bargain!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed April 17, 2007

We spent a night at the Tower Hotel as part of a Dirty Dancing Theatre break. We found checkin to be very quick and our room to be just what we wanted for our stay in London. Great view of the Tower Bridge and the Thames. Breakfast was self service buffet style but there was plenty of it. Our package included continental breakfast but we could have had a cooked breakfast and paid the extra. All in all we had a good stay and for a very busy hotel we couldn't really find anything to complain about. Infact we have stayed in several hotels in London over the years but I would certainly put this one as one that we would return to for a night or two in London.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2007

I have stayed at this hotel on several occasions, on business.

Fantastic location. Only a few minutes walk from Tower Hill Tube Station and literally right beside Tower Bridge.

I believe that this hotel was part of the Thistle Chain but now forms part of the Guoman Group.

The website focus on the parts of the hotel which have been refurbished and indeed the feel is modern, airy and contemporary.

Check In - This last visit I found that the receptionist looked down her nose at me until she realised upon checking her records that I had stayed at the hotel before. Her tone then changed.

The meals that I have had within the hotel have been ok. Not great but certainly not inedible.

Room Service is efficient - so no complaints there.

However the rooms are tired. I have always been lucky enough to have a Tower and River facing room, but thats where the pleasantries end. The rooms smell fusty and feel dirty and tired. I read other reviews to see if I was being somewhat fussy, but the reviews have been consistent with my thoughts. Tired bed linen and dirty on one occasion.

My bathroom was covered in cracked tiles. I noticed that standard room rate was £220. If they want to charge this amount, this hotel needs a full refurb and to step up its game.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank Suzanne-Cantle
Reviewed April 4, 2007

The hotel is OK only for a cheap price. The rooms are indeed well-worn. The attempt to get you to upgrade on check-in is easily brushed off. However, at check-out, I wasted ten precious minutes telling the Eastern European clerk that I was not going to pay an extra 70 pound per night. (I already paid Priceline). She went back several times to talk to her "manager" with different arguments, all weak, including "Priceline only used your credit card as a 'hold.'" I had heard about these stories at this hotel before and was surprised to see they're still trying this old scam!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed April 2, 2007

This hotel was booked as part of a Theatre Break.

Hotel Receiption area and staff very nice but that is where it ends.

The rooms we had been allocated were smoking rooms and we had requested non-smoking rooms. On arrival in the room we found it to be smelly, decor yellow with smoke, furniture scratched and faded with plinths missing. The bed cover was so old it had started to fray (looked like the months had been eating it), it looked dirty and had stains on it and the valances did not match. On top of this we found the previous occupant's T-shirt left on the bed.

We complained and was given another room. This was a non-smoking room but the decor, etc, was exactly the same as the first room - tired and tatty.

Breakfast was not the best. We had to queue for a table, food basic, breakfast dishes were old soup bowls which were stained from the soup, no pots of tea or coffee just a waiter walking round offering you the odd cup here and there.

Overall opinion : 2 star rooms, 2 start service, 4 star location.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with friends