“Perhaps I'm easily pleased”
Review of The Tower

The Tower
Ranked #259 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed November 9, 2013

But I found The Tower a fairly decent Hotel. It is representative of international chain hotels, expansive public areas, functional rooms, good food, just what you would expect. The location however is brilliant, next to Tower Bridge and St Katharines Dock. We had a room overlooking the dock and Thames with views to Canary Wharf, spectacular. Everything in our room worked, it was clean and comfortable and quiet. We ate dinner in The Brasserie, just steak and chips but it was fine, though dearer than we are used to, London prices and all that. We didn't drink in the bar but went for a stroll around the dock to admire the very expensive vessels anchored there and had a drink in the pub on the dockside.
Breakfast is also served in the Brasserie, buffet style with everything you could ask for,fruits, cereals, cold meats etc, and of course cooked Bacon, Sausage, Eggs etc.
The attentive staff serve Tea or Coffee and clear away professionally making for a relaxed start to the day. In fact all the Hotel staff were courteous and efficient. All in all a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (7,204)

Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

I have now stayed there for 5 nights, in a small room, that has just seen too many guests over too many years without any renovations. My company has already booked all of us at The Tower for last years WTM and the hotel has just gotten worse. Well, mainly the hardware, as their staff is attentive and polite, but they can't make up for it anymore.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
GMTower, General Manager at The Tower, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Dear reviewer,
Thanks for your post. I’m sorry to read that you were disappointed with your room
and appreciate your feedback following previous stay. I am pleased to share
some exciting news. The hotel starts a major investment programme in February
next year, with all 801 bedrooms and all public areas to be extensively refurbished.
Please contact me direct to find our more information.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

Yes, it should be good. Yes the reception is very grand. Yes it's a great location. BUT the rooms are shabby, tired, a bit grubby and in need of a refurb. I had room service - a steak panini, fries, onion rings and a salad and it was - well very average. The steak was good, the fries were very greasy and the salad was limp (to say the least). The room was very outdated, one three pin plug, can you believe it, in this day and age with iPhones iPads, etc. just not good enough. The air con was non existent. A nice location, potential to be a good hotel but needs some investment and soon.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Dear reviewer,
Thanks for your post. I appreciate your feedback on your room and am pleased to
confirm that following guest feedback, the hotels starts a major investment
programme in February next year, with all 801 bedrooms and all public areas to be
extensively refurbished. I have shared your comments regarding the room service
with the team and I hope we were able to resolve this on the day for you.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

we recently stayed at this hotel for one night after a function we attended in London. As it was only for one night our group were not too worried about getting a luxury hotel so I found rooms here virtually half the price of any similar hotel in the area through Travel supermarket. We were staying here with other couples and due to a mix up with room keys and walking in on our friends wife half naked we were given an up grade to a room with a fabulous view over Tower Bridge. It was amazing and I hardly slept a wink all night just seeing it in different lights and watching the world go by. The hotel is very large and the rooms are a bit tired but standard rooms are still perfectly acceptable and comfortable. The hotel is in a great location overlooking the Thames with a small marina next to it which houses the Royal barge. There are shops and restaurants surrounding it. Breakfast at the hotel was self service and very good but I suggest you get this included in the price as it is approx. £22 per person otherwise (but there are a lot cheaper places close by if you cant). There is no swimming pool at the hotel which is a shame. There is an exclusive bar which is dead and shuts at 10pm (so don't pay extra for that) and also a public bar with great views and atmosphere which was still open after our function and untill the last person dropped. We enjoyed our stay very much.

Room Tip: walk in on your fiends half naked and get an up- grade, or ask for a river view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Liz D
GMTower, General Manager at The Tower, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Dear reviewer
Thanks for your post. I’m sorry to read about the mixed up with your keys, however, I’m glad to hear that you’ve enjoyed your stay and liked the views of Tower bridge from your room. I hope you’ll visit us again.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

I will describe the initial impression and allow you to make your own mind up, bear in mind that I travel extensively on business so have an expectation of service levels in the hotels I stay in, the core of my happiness is reasonably simple - a wifi connection, a comfortable bed and a good shower, I am now adding - a mini bar - something I thought was basic, but evidently not.

At check in I was offered an upgrade to an executive room for £50 a night (no, its a company paid business trip) the main benefit of which was that I got a mini bar!! When in a hotel for a week or more, you don't want to have to call room service every time you want a quick snack or a drink, this is basic. I checked in with my wife, yet we were only provided with a single room key, again, basics for a hotel receptionist.

On entry to the room, its small, was dirty and the bed was small. We gave the hotel the opportunity to address this, and in fact when housekeeping came to clean the room they were very nice and did a good job. The hotel reception manager spoke a good game but was not able to offer a suitable room, it seems all the beds are small in this hotel.

Given we didn't have a hotel mini-bar, we called room service, the phone rang for 5 minutes before I gave up. I then called the receptionist and asked to speak with the duty manager, the receptionist asked me if I knew the name of the person I wanted to speak to! After explaining I would expect her to know the name of the duty manager, she put me through, the phone rang again for 3-4 minutes and was not answered.. I gave up and went to reception.

The manager promised to address the issues, and I asked him to contact my wife and show her alternative rooms. The manager I spoke to masqueraded as a duty manager and turned out to be a reception manager, and was unable to address the issues raised.

Finally, when returning from work, all that had been done was an extra key was provided for the room, I called room service and yet again had to wait 2 minutes for the phone to be answered. Room service was of average quality so I eventually tried the shower which took 5 minutes to get working, the sink in the bathroom (tiny) was blocked and we are now leaving today for alternative accommodation..

Never again...

Room Tip: Choose one at another hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank honeymooncoupleuk
GMTower, General Manager at The Tower, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Dear reviewer,
Thanks for your post. I’m sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay. I understand that one of our Guest Relations team members have been in touch and if there’s anything I can do to assist in resolving this for you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

We arrived Friday the first of November at the Guoman Tower Hotel. We felt welcome from the very first moment. The room was really nice and clean. And the stunning view completed the first hour of our stay. We wanted to a have dinner, and decided to go downstairs to the Brasserie.

After the host gave us this really pretty table to the window. Bram was taking care of us. He did recommend us the Goat Cheese which was just fabulous. He had a lot of knowlegde about the menu and wines. Another waiter was also really nice, I think his name was Maurits. He made sure that we had enough wine during te night and even gave us some brown pepper to go with our Main Course. After an stunning desert we went back up to our beautiful room.

We slept very well and on sunday went to see more of Londen. The weekend was one of the best we ever had together. Massive thanks to the Staff from the Guoman Tower Hotel.

We won't hesistate what hotel to choose for our next stay in London!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andrea V

Dear reviewer,
Thanks for your post. It’s always a pleasure to read such great comments and your stay at the Tower Hotel was one of the best. I’m thrilled to hear that you’ve had a lovely dining experience in the Brasserie and Mauricio, Bram and the team looked after you so well, and I’ve shared your kind words with them. Also great to hear how much you enjoyed our new “Goanut” dish which has been a big hit recently. Do let us know when you’re planning to return.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

I stayed at The Tower with my wife and 4mth old daughter as my sister was getting married at the hotel. Whilst the wedding itself was wonderful (an outside caterer and events organiser was used), our stay here was nothing but a nightmare beset with problems and abysmal customer service. We suffered rudeness, incompetence and a lot of the time felt like we were being fobbed off. None of the staff were pro-active in resolving any of our complaints and in general there was a total lack of compassion or understanding of the fact we had young babies to care for.

First off, this is the least family friendly hotel I have ever been to. Upon arrival we parked in the onsite car park and made our way to reception. First hurdle is that there are no lifts from the car park and we were treated to a double flight of stairs to carry our buggy up. Not the end of the world but a bit of hassle what with our wedding suits and all the items needed for an overnight trip with the baby. Once at reception we were seen after a short wait to check into our room. We had specifically requested an inter-connecting room as we had hired a sitter to come and look after both our daughter and our niece. This way she could go between the two rooms easily. We were told in advance this was absolutely fine and of course would be arranged for us. We'd also requested a cot and a mini-fridge to store the milk. My brother did the same.

When we got up to our room, we looked around and could see no connecting door. We called down to reception to explain that we had not been given the room we asked for and were told "well we can't guarantee those rooms". I explained the situation but was met with a rather cold response that there wasn't anything they could do. I stressed the fact that we were here for a wedding, had arranged everything in advance and that the current situation was upsetting and was going to make caring for our little ones a nightmare. Aside from empty apologies and a weak excuse that they'd "only just found out the whole of the 6th floor was taken out of service for maintenance and that was where our room had been allocated". I would have thought something as major as a whole floor being unusable would be known by core staff. Apparently not.

We then noticed that there was no mini-fridge as requested as well as no kettle which we needed to sterilise the water for our baby's feed. We also had to request a separate bed sheet for the cot as all that was provided was a tired looking stained mattress topper that offered no support. We used to bed runner folded over the topper so our baby wouldn't feel the metal bars from the base of the cot and put the bed sheet round that to hold it all together.

When my brother arrived he experienced exactly the same problems except his room also had no cot and instead, 3 single beds. At this point we both went to complain again and were told that they could put us in an adjoining room on the 7th floor and that we could go and have a look to see if it was acceptable. We went upstairs to look but had been offered a suite, with only one bathroom. We went back to reception to emphasise that we were two separate families and needed to have a bathroom each. The manager then came out to offer more weak apologies before telling us that actually they do have an inter-connecting room on the 6th floor that we could take. We were stunned that this hadn't just been sorted out from the start. Ultimately we had to turn down the room as we had been messed about so much that with due to start imminently, we were out of time and would not have been able to move everything across.

Unfortunately mine and my brother's experience was not isolated. My in-laws had requested a room from 2pm as my father-in-law is currently recovering from leukemia and wanted to rest before the ceremony and allow himself extra time to get ready. Upon arrival their room – a special disability room – was not ready and when pressing for it to be opened up to them, they were told they could get in there by 3pm as it hadn't been cleaned yet. The hotel failed to meet this time too and it was not till after 3.30pm that there room was finally ready for them to go up with my father-in-law exhausted and in pain. Left waiting in the foyer, at no point did any of the staff seem to take charge of the situation and offer a different room or quiet place that they could go. This however was not the end of it as a mini-fridge had also been requested for his medicines which had not been set up and when they retired to their room they found that the door would not lock. The hotel could offer no assistance, and already fed up, they had to secure their room by jamming a chair up against the door.

Equally as shambolic, the groom's mother also found her room was not ready upon arrival so she got prepared in her daughters room, leaving her belongings (including credit/debit cards) in their safe. Come the end of the night, the hotel would not release her room without re-confirming her card details, despite having given them when initially booking. Her daughter also has a newly-born had gone up early so she was reluctant to wake them by knocking on the door to get her cards, to which the hotel refused to release her room and left her standing in her evening dress in the foyer.

To add to the frustrations, at breakfast I had ordered poached eggs. I waited for them whilst the chef went off to prepare and was approached by the dining room manager who kindly asked what I was waiting for, before saying "please sit and enjoy your breakfast and I will bring these to you as they take 10mins or so". I waited, and waited but subsequently was forgotten about. I asked a waitress what had happened and mentioned that my wife had ordered the same some after me yet had hers turn up first, and was met with the response "well you didn't order them from me". I was too stunned to follow up with a response.

And finally, I had the misfortune of leaving my phone charger plugged into the wall. I phone up a few hours later when I realised and asked if housekeeping could put it aside for me. I was told they would check the room and get back to me which they did after a short while to say they had it and I could pick it up or have it sent to me. I told them I could pick it up as my offices were nearby. When I went to collect, I was kept waiting for over half an hour whilst someone went to security to find a key to lost and found. Needing to get back to the office I told them I had to leave and asked them to bring it to me which they did. Except what they brought wasn't my phone charger just a cable. When I phoned up to tell them, I was told that is all that was found which leads me to believe that they either picked up the wrong item from lost and found or that the charger was pocketed. Either way it's not a reassuring thought to know that the staff employed are either incompetent or light-fingered.

All in all, what was a fantastic wedding, was marred by the total lack of genuine customer service from any of the staff. I wish I could speak more favourably towards our stay but am left dismayed at our treatment at what I considered a premiere hotel.

Room Tip: All the rooms here are a bit tired and need updating but they do offer excellent views of Tower Brid...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank frighthorse

Dear reviewer,
Thanks for your post. I'm sorry to hear of your continued disappointment. I understand this was dealt with and resolved on the day. If you still have any questions regarding this, please feel free to contact me.