“In need of renovation”
Review of The Tower

The Tower
Ranked #261 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 25, 2013

It is a bit of a shame as I think the tower has the potential to be a good hotel. It has a nice location and the staff are helpful. It is however rather shabby and run down, while i was there one of the lifts was broken, the walls in my room where badly marked and exterior is badly in need of a clean and paint.
Breakfast was ok, the gym was a bit of a joke, more of a cupboard with two running machines squeezed in, free weights but no bench, no windows or air con.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

My partner and myself stayed at the Guoman hotel for three nights in March. The hotel is located a short walk away from the nearest underground which meant it had easy access from many of the top tourist spots (on the Circle and district lines). When we arrived at the hotel, we were disappointed with the exterior look, it was old and dated, falling apart... We walked into the lobby and it was beautiful. The staff were very friendly at the reception, giving us a free bottle of wine because it was my partners birthday. We were asked if we wanted a tower bridge view for an extra £15 a night, we rejected as this would have been an additional £45. After seeing the lobby we had high expectations of our room. Our room was right at the end of the 8th floor, an elderly person would have been tired from the walk to the room! We got to the room to be satisfied with the view, looking up the Thames with Tower Bridge in sight, there was no need to pay the extra £45!! The view was lovely however the bathroom was very very small and got very slippy at times. It was also odd that there was a drain in the floor (even though the shower was in the bathtub), this smelt. The bed was very comfortable, and had feather pillows. I am allergic to feather pillows so I phoned room service and they bought me up TWO pillows. I said to the woman that bought them that we needed another two for my parter, she said she would sort this out, this was around 8pm. At 10pm we were still without pillows, so we had to sleep sharing two pillows...(I know asleep at 10...seeing all the sights in London is very tiring!!). I was disappointed with this service as I was so pleased when arriving at reception. Waking up the next morning, we went to find breakfast. We only booked the bed at the hotel and did not purchase breakfast, thinking we could purchase on the day as on the phone when offered, it was very expensive. Breakfast at the hotel was £21 each, rip off. Instead we found a small diner just down the road and ate there instead.
We purchased tickets for Madamme Tussards at the hotels, being told we were paying to only wait 20 minutes. When we got there it was packed, we asked a employee where we should stand with these tickets and he said the long que. waiting time was nearly 3 hours. I understand that the hotel worker who sold us our tickets would not know how busy it would have been, however we were under the influence that we would not be joining the usual que and would have been fast tracked. Honesty would have been the best policy!!

On the last day, we had to check out early and we wanted to do things that day. The hotel said we could leave our cases there until we were ready to go home later that evening. I was so pleased as carrying around the cases (especially at Madame Tussards...!) would have been a pain.

For the price, was not worth it.

Room Tip: Don't pay the extra money for a "room with a view" the view was great anyway!!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I was on business trip and stayed for 1 night in the Tower Guoman Hotel in London. The hospitality, the warm welcome, the professionalism of the staff immediately overwhelmed me. The room itself was a little outdated but certainly not a minus. The view over the Tower Bridge is just spectaculour. The breakfast is served on 2 places both with a lovely view either over the tower bridge or over the yachtclub. The hotel isn't cheap but really worth all the money. I would certainly recommand this hotel to anyone who is going to London. My compliments to all the staff!!

Reviewed April 22, 2013

I stayed at the Guoman on the night i proposed to my now fiance. The moment i made the booking the service was fantastic. My room was upgraded to an amazing view of the tower right outside my window. The room was spacious, service was great all round and the staff went out of there way to make sure my proposal went perfect. From the delivery of champagne and strawberrys to the cleaniness of my room and bathroom. It was a perfect stay and my misses loved it. Definetly a great stay and will be going bk on as many anniversaries as i can to experience that moment and stay again.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I am a business traveler who was booked into this hotel by my company. The one outstanding aspect was the front desk staff, who were very friendly and helpful. The lobby is fine as well. Otherwise, this is a VERY mediocre, tired property that seems to rely heavily on its view. What's outside the window is nice, but I want comfort and a level of luxury commensurate to the hotel rating INSIDE the room. Breakfast was fair at best, pretty bad at worst (including the long coffee wait and spoiled cream). The mezzanine (upper foyer) level smelled heavily of sprayed air freshener laid over coffee. The room -- one of the newly refurbished ones on the 5th floor "executive" level -- was the size of a postage stamp. To me, the carpet and furniture felt tired, with some new pillows and fun art thrown in. The room was very warm, so I tried turning on the AC with the control; it did not get any cooler. I called downstairs and they said "We know. Heating is centralized and it's still winter, so there is no AC. Can you open a window?" (This was April 14, BTW.) Fine for a hostel, not for a supposed 4-star hotel. Later on, when I was still uncomfortable, I called guest services and they sent up a fan. So between the window and fan, it was bearable -- again, not acceptable for a 4-star hotel. I will say my bathroom was clean and comfortable. I checked out as soon as I was able and went to the Grange Tower Bridge, a brand new hotel that felt like a wonderful 5-star property. It seems the main offering at the Guoman is the view.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

The Tower Hotel at this time of year is a height of activity around the London Marathon. It hosts guests either taking part or working on the Marathon. As part of the team covering the photography I have stayed in the hotel for over six events now.

I always find the hotel to the highest standard albeit dated in its exterior design and the rooms are well presented. The rooms offer very good views over London.

On arrival the check in was found to be very efficient and completed by friendly staff. The reception area is full of activity as you would expect in a hotel hosting guests to a major sporting event but offers quite corners to read and relax if you so wish.

I did not eat dinner in the hotel so difficult to comment on the quality of its meals but breakfast was good with no complaints but there are opportunities for improvement I feel.

Given the hotel's excellent location, for example the Tower of London and for walks along the Thames, the hotel is quite a distance from the nearest underground station, but a pleasant walk nevertheless.

A very good London hotel and one I very much enjoy my annual visit there.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Steve_Dormer
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Second visit upgraded as a previous customer to a club room. Another great stay thank you. Breakfast was very expensive so look to eat elsewhere or get a package.....................................................

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the river