“Very nice hotel, surrounded by both the Tower and Docks”
Review of The Tower

The Tower
Ranked #264 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Brussels, Belgium
“Very nice hotel, surrounded by both the Tower and Docks”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Very nice hotel indeed, mostly business-style. Rooms are clean and spacious, some with a view on the river/Tower bridge, but the others with a view on St-Katharine's Docks are enjoyable as well. Breakfast is ok and service is really good and kind.

Surroundings are great, with some good restaurants on St Katharine's Dock and the underground station tower hill is just a few meters away, if you want to visit the touristic centre of London. For business it's perfectly located as the City is at walkable distance and Canary Wharf a few minutes away with the DLR.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Lau0915
IanFletcher, General Manager at The Tower, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thanks for your post,
It’s great to read that you found us well located for both business and leisure requirements and I’m glad that you were pleased with the service from the breakfast team.
I hope you’ll return the next time you’re in London.
Ian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,871)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I suppose the most important thing about The Tower Hotel is its location – beautifully situated for The Tower, Tower Bridge, St Katherine’s Dock and the East End in general. However, you’re going to want to see more of London than just that so the fact that it’s only a five minute walk to Tower Hill Underground (Circle/District lines) or Tower Gateway DLR means you’re still suitably located. That said, there is a bit of a hill to walk up parallel to Tower Bridge so if you have trouble walking that “five minute” could be a huge battle!!

This was my fourth weekend stay at the hotel and only once have I had a room that I’d describe as “getting a little worn”. Nothing serious but maybe some people would be a little put out. Generally speaking, though, I’ve always had a thoroughly pleasant stay here and love the relaxing atmosphere.

If I’m going to be negative it must be pointed out that the Housekeeping staff seem to think the “Do Not Disturb” sign is just a guideline rather than a request. After a poor nights sleep (not the hotel’s fault I hasten to add) I decided I’d need a lie-in to recover for the day ahead only to have someone constantly ringing the doorbell at 08:30 asking if they could come in, until I was sufficiently awake to shout back. While the vast majority of the staff are polite and welcoming it does seem one or two find the guests are an inconvenience…

Room Tip: Try to get rooms on higher floors… the noise from outside, especially at weekends, can be a bit much...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thanks for your post,
It’s always important to receive feedback particularly from our regular guests. I appreciate your comments on the rooms as we have refurbished the majority of our rooms and continue with our improvement works. The importance of the “Do not disturb” sign is recognised by all team members so I apologise that you were disturbed and I have shared this with the Executive Housekeeper to follow up with her team.
I hope that you will return to enjoy the relaxing atmosphere you have experienced in the past.
Glossop, England
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Stay at this hotel with work several times per month, I have now cancelled all forward bookings.

On arrival at 6pm, took 1 hour to get a room key, even though earlier that week I had checked while I was staying with work that my weekend booking was OK. We then went up to the room (with bags and kids) to find someone else in the room.

Went back down to be get another room assigned (20 min wait for that), which I went up alone to, and found out it wasn't a family room (in fact the room I had stayed in earlier that week), went back down to found my youngest had been injured on the stairs, while waiting.

Then told there is no family rooms, so nothing they could offer us, they did upgrade us to a suite which was good, but on getting there found there was only a double bed.

Many heated phone calls later we eventually did get the spare bed and cot, this was eventually sorted at 10.30pm (4 1/2 hours after arrival)

Really disappointed as this has potential to be a great hotel, though will not be staying for a long time for me now.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank Mark.L.Johnson
Thanks for your post,
I am truly sorry to read that we let you down during your recent stay. I can understand how frustrated you must have felt and I regret that our attempts to resolve the situation were not to your satisfaction. I really hope that we will have the chance to welcome you back and restore your faith in our ability to deliver a truly comfortable stay.
Ash Vale
Reviewed October 8, 2012

As we were getting married in London, we decided to splash out and book a suite at the Guoman. The suite was absolutely wonderful and a bottle of champagne was awaiting us, a really nice touch from the hotel staff.
Most of our family and friends stayed in the standard double rooms, although some upgraded to the executive rooms at £30 per night extra. There were no complaints from anyone regarding the rooms.
I had read the reviews about the breakfast and was nervous but I can happily report that we experienced no problems. The food was hot and plentiful.
Yes, the hotel exterior could do with a facelift, but we had a wonderful time and would return

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Thames and Tower Bridge
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your post,
I’m delighted that you chose to spend such a significant stay with us at the Tower and I’m so pleased that the team went the extra mile to help you celebrate. It’s also great to read that your friends and family stayed with us too and that they enjoyed their stay. Thanks also for your comments on breakfast; this is testament to the effort the team has made to improve after listening to our guests’ feedback.
I hope that we have the chance to welcome you back again soon.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Stayed for a weekend, and was impressed with the location. Great views of the Tower Bridge and Tower of London. The reception area was impressive, the staff friendly and accommodating. The room itself was large and comfortable with a nice bathroom. All basic amenities included, but the iron did not work.

The buffet breakfast had an extensive spread. The Brasserie was worth a visit, too, at least for the ambience, not much impressed with the under-seasoned risotto and over-seasoned soup of the day.

However, I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your post,
I appreciate your feedback on your meal in the Brasserie, I have shared this with the Chef and I hope you let the team know at the time as well. I am sorry to read the iron did not work and I hope that a replacement was delivered to your room swiftly.
I am glad that you had a comfortable stay and would return.
Matthews, North Carolina
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I preface this review by agreeing with all other reviewers on two fronts - the location is superb, and if you're lucky enough to have a room overlooking the Thames, the view of Tower Bridge is gorgeous. I would also add that the lobby/reception area is quite nice, and the brasserie breakfast buffet was quite extensive. Outside of those elements, though, this property is vastly overrated. The hallways are dark with very low ceilings. The hallway and guest room wallpaper is peeling in many places, and looks like it hasn't been updated in many years. The upholstery on one of the chairs in my room was ripped; the carpet had more stains than I cared to count. The room, while good sized for London, had built-in furnishings that are woefully out of date and marked with scratches from years of use. The iron/press in my room did not work either and the Internet was painfully slow. The bathroom was better than the room; I'd probably give that three or four stars if the grade was just for that component. Overall though, to pay 200+ pounds per night for a room of that standard is appalling to me, even with the view and location. The hotel desperately needs an upgrade, but so long as tourists/businesses are willing to pay the rate for what you get today, they have no incentive to make the changes. If I wasn't staying at the hotel specifically for a client conference, I would have changed hotels.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 2nd floor or higher
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Doug H
Dear Reviewer,
Thanks for taking the time to post,
I understand your concerns on the décor of you room and the corridor; the refurbishment of our rooms is an ongoing project and our key focus remains the updating of our rooms and public areas.
A faulty item in a room is unacceptable and I hope that the team replaced the iron. I am also very pleased to confirm that following feedback from our guests, Wi-Fi is now complimentary to all guests at the Tower and the connection has been significantly improved.
I hope that we will have the chance to welcome you back to show you the changes we have made.
Munich, Germany
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We have been there just recently and booked the hotel because of the location. The place is a decent hotel with a great price for London. Yet... You see every now and then some corners that need maintenance. Marble in the hall that is chipped, paint that needs touch up. And our room... We'll finding some stiffeners and cuff links next to the bed when moving in is not comforting. Breakfast was ok - wouldn't book it extra.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for your post,
I’m glad that our location suited your needs. I value your comments on general maintenance and can assure you that we are committed to refurbishing the hotel. We are currently halfway through this project with the majority of our rooms already completed. Finding items from the previous guest in the room is not acceptable and I do hope that you brought this to the attention of the team so they could arrange an alternative room for you.
Thanks again for your feedback.