“best hotel in london”
Review of The Academy

The Academy
Ranked #560 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed February 24, 2011

This really is an excellent hotel. Small enough to be peaceful, intensely comfortable beds and all with a sense of old London townhouse. I've stayed a few times and the staff are invariably friendly and helpful. There is a sweet conservatory room at the back of the hotel and it's walking distance to the British Museum and Covent Garden. If you have a chance to stay here it is well worth the booking.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
AcademyHotel, Front Office Manager at The Academy, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2011

Thank you for your great review. I am happy to see that after several stays you have taken the time to post a review. The conservatory is really a lovely place to relax and so is the Alchemy Bar downstairs. Looking forward to welcoming you back next week and I am sure you will enjoy your stay as usual. Best, Raquel

Reviewed February 21, 2011

Fisrt of all, the room I've stayed in (No 17) did not resemble at all the ones shown on the website. I made my choice of this hotel based on the pictures provided. Upon arriving, I asked for a change of the duvet as the one provided was 100% acrylic and sometimes I develop an allergy to it. There was not a single cotton duvet available in the entire hotel or so I was told! Again, I was not aware that the bathroom does not have a bathtub instead a very tiny shower. The hotel should make people aware of these things with a more accurate description of their rooms on the website otherwise they may feel deceived, just like I did. The toiletries provided were for one person instead of two and were replaced only three days later. Overall, the hotel was not bad, but it certainly does not look or feel as is intended when advertised as "luxury boutique 4 stars hotel". I have stayed in many boutique hotels but this one is certainly the most average in quality and service. By the way, we were not asked once during our stay whether we are ok or not or if there is anything we might need or like.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank miko16
AcademyHotel, Front Office Manager at The Academy, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2011

Thank you for your review.

I appreciate your comments and I would like to apologise for the inconveniences you had during your stay at The Academy.

I will contact you direclty to find out further information and I hope I will have the opportunity to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed February 6, 2011

This was our second visit to this hotel - on the first we had a very special offer through a professional magazine and were based in a suite. On this occasion we went for a twin room (we are not fans of small double beds and felt this gave us the best deal). The room was quite small but beautifully decorated with the twin beds zipped together thus giving us an excellent large bed which was extremely comfortable.
The bathroom was an embarrassment for a boutique hotel - about the same floor area as our understairs toilet with a cloakroom basin, toilet that had a fair build up of limescale and a shower. When we arrived the room was sweltering (as indeed was the hotel in general) - the porter appeared to turn the radiator off but to no avail - it continued to be burning hot. There was a problem with the drainage from the sink and shower and this combined with the heat made the bathroom somewhat smelly. A further issue for us was the high tog quilt which left us far too hot in the night.
The staff were extremely helpful in trying to sort out our problems (with success in turning off the radiator) and responded promptly (although we did take exception to just being left with a blanket and sheet for us to make do-it yourself changes to the bedding (and in leaving this bedding, the housekeeping staff appeared to forget to leave bath towels!).
By the evening of our second day (with the plumbing problem not solved) we were offered (and accepted) a move to the Woburn suite; this was an excellent room - beautifully appointed and very comfortable.The quilt cover was filled with a couple of blankets so much less hot, and the air conditioning worked well.
We recalled the lovely continental breakfast and were not disappointed. Good choice of cereal, fresh fruits, croissants, rolls, cheeses and meats. Coffee was lovely too.
Hotel is well placed for theatre / shops / British Museum.
So all in all there are aspects of this hotel that we love and we would not hesitate to recommend one of the more luxurious rooms; however, the lower priced rooms may leave you disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HeatherDavid
AcademyHotel, Front Office Manager at The Academy, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2011

Thank you for your review.

The team and I have found this feedback most valuable in our endless endeavour to improve both the product and service we provide our guests.

Once again, thank you for staying at The Academy and I very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed January 29, 2011

I stayed here for two nights largely because it was very convenient for the British Museum, the back entrance of which is only 5 minutes walk away. I had a single room which was very small but quite adequate and very reasonably priced for London. I had room service both evenings - the food was very good and the service excellent. Breakfast was adequate but, in comparison with most other hotels I've stayed in, the continental breakfast buffet is quite poor and certainly not worth paying for if it isn't included. My room faced an inner courtyard and, apart from the noise from the hotel stairs outside the room, was very quiet and I slept well. All rooms seem to have double fire doors which help reduce noise.

As a woman staying on my own, I felt very safe in the hotel. The only thing I would say is that although the tube stations are only 2 blocks away, it can be quite an uncomfortable and quiet walk home on your own on a dark night. Also, Goodge Street has no escalator, just a lift so I used Tottenham Court Road when coming home after the theatre.

To find fault might be picky but, if I could change three things, they would be a) that the towels are fluffy as the card in the bathroom states, and not just crispy which they certainly were! b) soap at the bathroom sink - it's weird washing your hands with body wash c) front of house / reception is professional but distant and impersonal - it doesn't hurt to wish people a pleasant evening / day in passing, or to ask if everything is alright now and again. I wasn't even asked on check out and felt I had been dismissed as soon as my credit card was approved. He didn't even say goodbye or wish me a pleasant journey - he just turned away. None of these things would put me off staying here again though and I'm sure I'll be back.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank fmck49
AcademyHotel, Front Office Manager at The Academy, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2011

Reviewed January 27, 2011

i was reluctant to move to this hotel from Mint near westminster area in the beginning. after seeing the room, i was happy about our choice.

the room was neat, cozy and full of classic british styled details.
the hotel is only 10 minutes walk from the happening soho area, which offers a wide options of restaurants, shops and entertainment.
the hotel staff were helpful and friendly too.

i will probably stay at the academy when i visit london again.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chen X
AcademyHotel, Front Office Manager at The Academy, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2011

Reviewed December 22, 2010

This hotel had everything that I could ask for. As I was only there for one night I didn't make use of many of the services,butthose that I did use were excellent. The room was slightly on the small side but was exteremly comfortable.
A minor point - I'd booked through expedia and had requested non-allergenic pillows etc. but found that there were feather pillows and duvet. I mentioned it to Reception as I went out for dinner. they were most apologetic and promised to rectify it. When I returned a few hours later it had all been done, and morever, the things that I had left on my bed had been repositioned in exactly the same place! Obviously they should have got it right in the first place, but once they'd been told about the problen the service was excellent

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank ChrisTowcester
AcademyHotel, Front Office Manager at The Academy, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2011

Thank you for your review.

In the meantime, if I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed December 16, 2010

The refurbished private residence turned hotel was quite cozy and generally welcoming. My room was an adequate size as was the bath - though the sink faucets were rather strange in that there were hot and cold taps but the water did not combine to make "warm" water. So you had to be very careful not to burn yourself while brushing your teeth. Common areas could use some sprucing up as carpets rather worn.

The stay, however, was ruined by an incompetent night manager who was on duty at 11:30 PM on Thursday, December 16. The person did not understand the meaning of "included (continental) breakfast" and though it should have been obvious that staff had not intended to charge separately for the included coffee, could not wrap his head around that notion and refused to take the charge off. So much for taking advantage of "express check-out." When asked for his name, he refused to disclose it saying instead that he could be referred to as the "night manager; they would know him as he was black." His words, not mine. Now, if he knew he was in the right, why wouldn't he disclose his name? Quite obvious that he knew he was acting unprofessionally and in a manner that was unacceptable in persons in a service industry.

The coffee is cheap, but it's the principle. Unfortunately, though the room price was fairly reasonable and the accommodations generally fine, I would not recommend this establishment. Why take the chance of ruining your stay with incompetent staff? There are better hotels at which to spend your money.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
AcademyHotel, Front Office Manager at The Academy, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2011

Thank you for your review.

We appreciate your comments and can only apologise for the disappointing experience you had at the hotel.

We take such matters seriously here at The Academy so I will contact you directly to investigate further and hope that we can have you stay again to experience The Academy at its best!