“Functional”
Review of The Academy

The Academy
Ranked #560 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I agree with most reviews for this hotel - I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in early Feb and found it to be functional, with a good location, and a clean room. I stayed in a single room with en suite bathroom on the 1st floor (about 6 stairs from the main floor). My room had a private entry, which was nice, and it was quiet during the evening. It could be considered expensive for what you get, but for me, I wanted to be able to walk to my office and this hotel was very close.

I would highlight 1 thing for future guests:

Wifi: The 'free' access was not sustainable - the manager did note that it was due to bandwith - played with the settings on my computer and ipad - and tried to make it work. At the end of the day, it just didn't - it was too slow to send an email. I had selected this hotel over another nearby hotel because of the free wifi savings (about 12GBP/day), and this was very disappointing for me.

Room Tip: Room 50 was great for a single guest
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank scm1133
AcademyHotel, General Manager at The Academy, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback with regards to your recent stay here with us.

We are currently changing our internet provider to offer free high speed internet throughout the Hotel with no restrictions.

I was glad to read that you found overall our hotel to be what you were looking for and I do hope we can welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We spent one night at the Academy as we had tickets for Ronnie Scott's late show and wouldn't make the last train home. We arrived at 11am just to drop off our bag, checked in and then went off to shop. Everything so nearby it was great location. We got back and our bag had been delivered to our room. We were in room 37 right at the top of the building. We found it clean, a reasonable size and had everything we needed. It was very warm but the air con worked well. The staff were all very polite and professional. We arrived back at around 2am and were greeted at the door by the night porter. The next morning we once again left our bags so that we could do some more shopping and they were once again very accommodating. I would definitely stay here again. Thank you.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing The Academy London for your recent stay here with us.

I was pleased to read that you did enjoy your stay following Ronnie Scott’s late show, which is one of our favourites.

I have passed your feedback to our staff as there would be delighted to read that you are planning to come back, and when you do so please feel free to check our website for the best packages/promotions.

Once again thank you for choosing The Academy,

Regards,

Reviewed February 4, 2013

The Academy is well located at the south end of Gower street - not 10 minutes from Soho or Covent garden by foot.
Room 10 was comfortable with a quirky bathroom down stairs - p.s. huge bath, great hot water.
Breakfast was continental - fresh and tasty, but the music was too loud.

The gardens outside would be a pleasant place to be come summer, but there are signs of neglect showing at the edges.

With a bit of effort, this hotel could shine, bit it is no "Dean street townhouse". It is somehow pedestrian and lacks the sparkle of a special place to stay. Although better than a budget chain hotel, I still felt "processed".

What it needs is two proprietorial gays to really give it the edge over the average offering!

Room Tip: Room 1 is tiny, room 10 average size with a good bathroom
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
AcademyHotel, General Manager at The Academy, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience here with us at The Academy London.

We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay overall and glad to let you know that we are undergoing a refurbishment programme in order to make this hotel a selected location for guests in Bloomsbury.

I hope we will have a chance to welcome you again in the future and please feel free to contact me directly for any further inquiries.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

I will keep staying here on my trips to London. This was the third stay and I can't say enough about how much I love this hotel. It is walking distance to UCLH where I come in for work and lots of restaurants and shops in the Fitzrovia/Bloombsury neighborhoods. My favorite part is the Full Academy Breakfast and French Press of coffee. There is nothing better than starting my day with a fantastic breakfast. I travel a lot for work and finding a good breakfast is usually my biggest challenge. They have a really good buffet of fresh fruits, yogurts, bread, juices, cereal, etc but I always choose the Full Academy Breakfast that comes with two eggs, sausage, bacon/ham, mushrooms, beans and a seared tomato chunk. The staff is very friendly downstairs at breakfast. The front desk staff is also very friendly and helpful. The rooms are kept very tidy and I appreciate the free bottled water each day. The beds are very comfortable and I rest well every night.

Room Tip: The single rooms are great for when I am by myself, but I recommend upgrading to the bigger rooms if...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
AcademyHotel, General Manager at The Academy, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here with us at The Academy London.

I am delighted to read that you have been enjoying your stays with us and that overall our staff are making those remarkable.

We are looking to improve our standards every day in order to achieve our main goal, which is to have our guests remembering their positive stay at The Academy.

Looking forward to welcome you again in the future,

Kind Regards,

Reviewed January 24, 2013

I have been here on 3 separate occasions. The first time (Room 37) the room was large and comfortable although the shower was old and the shower door broken
The second time (Room 35, I think), the room was tiny and I constantly had to get the card reader reset.
The third time I was in Room 1....it was too loud and I asked to be moved.
I can never understand why some hotels don't pick up rubbish.....and this is one of them....they tend to strategically relocate the rubbish unless you specifically put it in the bin.
One night I arrived late and had to stand outside for 20 minutes ..... while the person on duty went to make someone room service.
The hotel has a bar downstairs but it is not a typical bar....you have to ring for service and the only beer was bottled Becks.
They charged me extra for a packet of crisps .... that I never ate !
I would not recommend this for anything more than one night, I would not recommend for a family and I don't think it was great value for money.....for me on average around 125 pounds sterling per night.....without breakfast.
There are no fitness facilities.....and you have to ask for an iron and ironing board to be sent to your room.
The food is basic but good value for money.
The service is excellent and the personnel are friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Do NOT take Room No 1(Loud)......and ASK where is the room....if you are not willing to walk up seve...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank walshp4

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience here with us.

I was sorry to read that you felt that our Hotel was not up to your expectations; however I was very pleased to read that our staff have been given an excellent service throughout.

I do hope you will give us another chance in the future and you decide to stay with us again.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

The Academy is very comfortable hotel with helpful staff. It is very well situated in London and has an attractive building. The room was well equipped and the room service delicious. The British Museum and The British Library were within easy walking distance.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ann M
AcademyHotel, General Manager at The Academy, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay here with us at The Academy London.

We love to read that our guests enjoy the heritage of our building and that our staff made your stay a pleasant one.

Please do check our website as we are always updating promotion and offers throughout the year to ensure it pays to book direct.

Looking forward to welcome you and your family again, and please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay in this hotel. Is not a boutique hotel as they say, but is really comfy and cousy. Staff very nice and correct. Room for the 4 if us was perfect. We took a Junior Suite family room, and was perfect for us. I book it through www.preferredhotelgroup.com and there was a promotion called "Mastercard Global Offer Exclusive offer to Mastercard card holders Guarantee and payment with Mastercard 4 night stay required to get fourth night free" so the price was really good. The location perfect, nice places for breaksfast and to move around, will definitevily book again,

Room Tip: Try to book a room that is not on the road side, will be more silent.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank IbizaSpecialist
AcademyHotel, General Manager at The Academy, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Our hotel has a partnership with preferred hotels and indeed the offer that you suggested is one of the most attractive; however we do offer as well packages and promotion on our website, so please check it out!

I was glad to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay and please do let me know when you wish to book again.

Looking forward to welcome you again,