“A Sparkling-in-every-way Gem of a Hotel!”
Review of The Academy

The Academy
Ranked #573 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed at this hotel recently whileattending a writing workshop in the West End. Arriving early, I found the reception quite amenable to checking me in early. I had booked a single, and found the room clean, albeit small (but I wasn't expecting anything more grand!). The walk up to the top floor was made less onerous by the assistance of someone carrying my bag. All advertised amenities were in order. The bed was extremely comfortable (and I am a fitful sleeper, so that matters a lot). Rooms on the front overlooking Gower Street are a bit noisy, but not unusually so for central London, and the traffic lessens later at night. Double-paned glass helps mitigate sounds. Hadn't booked breakfast, but wandered down to the dining room and had a very satisfying omelette and capuccino. All in all, a very pleasant experience and I have already booked a return stay (at a higher priced room rate, since others unavailable, but I wanted to try out other rooms, anticipating return with spouse). Management and all staff are friendly, welcoming. Tip: book early and watch for the available discounts; weekends are less costly, as is winter months, and late summer.

Room Tip: Rear rooms over the gardens are quieter. Some singles have bathtubs; others only showers, so request...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank KBJWrites
AcademyHotel, General Manager at The Academy, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience here with us at The Academy London.

I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay and glad that you are deciding to come and stay with us again.

Our Reservations Manager has already noted your next reservation with us and we are all looking forward to welcome you again.

Kind Regards

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Location was a big deal for us. The hotel its just 3 minutes walk to Googe Street subway station and another 5 minutes to Tottenham Court Road Station. It took us only 10 minutes to get to Soho and all the excitment, so the location of the hotel is really central.
Large room with squeaking floors, but really clean and comfortable. We didn't have breakfast or any kind of food in the hotel so no opinion about the restaurant, though they offered us a bottle of Prosecco for half price on new years which was nice.
If you're willing to explore the city on foot, The Academy would be a wise choice to make.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Gower Street can be noisy after 8 am.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TolgaPaul
AcademyHotel, General Manager at The Academy, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

I was pleased to read that you fully enjoyed your stay especially as it was a celebrating night like New Year’s Eve.

We do strive to achieve high standards here at The Academy, and having our guests recognising this is what matters the most.

I do hope you will have a chance again to stay with us in the near future and please do check our website for the latest offers and packages.

Once again, thank you again for staying with us,

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Our bathroom was a disgrace as the pictures will verify.
I had used this hotel over the last 10 years, its not cheap but this was the final straw. The rooms are very tiered now and in urgent need of refurbishing.
I was offered a complimentary upgrade and a free breakfast which I thought was not enough to temp me back a free night and breakfast would have been more like it.

Room Tip: Best tip, stay at The Charlotte St Hotel!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank offint
Reviewed January 1, 2013

i have travelled all round the world staying in different hotels with all differing qualities but this hotel is one of the worst !! I actually stayed here twice as i complained and they promised me it would be better next time and it wasnt,tiny room' the bathroom was lovely but the shower just a dribble i did complain and they said theyd fixed it but it was still the same and i had to rinse myself with a cup in the shower,the water pipes banging and noisey at all times especially at night',did complain about the experience but all to no avail oh and they charged me twice for the privelige !! Dont be fooled by the exterior 'looks lovely from the outside but terrible and i advise you to steer clear,its also massively overpriced !! you have been warned !!!

Room Tip: no good rooms
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fennerjames

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here with us.

I was disappointed that your stay in July 2012 was not satisfactory. I have passed your feedback to my team to ensure that corrective action is taken to avoid similar circumstances in the future.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused,

Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed for one night in this hotel and enjoyed the convenience of location ( 15 mins walk from West End in 1 direction and 15 mins walk to Kings Cross in the other). The room (60) was spacious and well furnished. Bed was comfortable and we had a good nights sleep.

The only reason to prevent unreserved recommendation to this hotel was the bathroom. The tiles needed regrouting so that it looked fresh and well looked after rather than a bit dated and mouldy.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing The Academy London for your recent stay in the capital.
I was pleased to read that you did enjoy your stay with us and you had a good night sleep.

We are currently planning a refurbishment programme for all our bathrooms to ensure that we keep the high standards that we strive to achieve here at The Academy.

Looking forward to welcome you again in the future, and please do check our website for the latest offers and packages.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

I booked one night at this hotel through www.hotelmap.com which was a very easy website to use.

To be honest my criteria was that the hotel must be within walking distance of west end, not be a dive and not cost a small fortune. The Academy pleasantly exceeded all expectations. It is only about a 5 minute walk from Euston and about a 3 minute walk from Goodge Street tube so was perfectly placed.

We arrived about noon and our room wasn't ready but the hotel checked us in and stored our baggage. First impressions were good, personal service and beautiful decor. When we finally came back in the early evening we were quickly shown to our room and our bag was already there. The room was spacious, particularly for London (we stayed at The Marble Arch Thistle a couple of weeks ago and our room at The Academy was double the size). We had been upgraded to a deluxe room, number 10, which was split level and the bathroom was large too with a freestanding bath and a separate power shower.

We never tried the restaurant as we like to explore a bit when it comes to food whilst in London but as a room for the night this hotel was perfect. Space, beautiful decor, a comfortable bed, good service, good facilities and a fab shower. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

I was pleased to read that you fully enjoyed your stay and that you found our Hotel for what it is…full of character.

Once again, thank you again for staying with us,

Reviewed December 20, 2012

We were return clients of this rather attractive establishment in Bloomsbury. On check in we were not recognized as return clients which I feel is rather poor client relations ( last month in Paris at Hotel D'Aubisson, we were welcomed as returned clients and our last visit was over 5 years previously). The room we were allocated for a 5 night stay was so small that we could not put our bags into the room without having to climb over the bed- needless to say we could not even open the bags as there was no floor space yet alone a bench or bag rack. The bathroom did not contain a bath just a toilet with the hand basin over the toilet (no shelving for toiletries) and a shower stall that my partner could not get into as it was so small and narrow. I complained and asked for a bigger room, where upon we were moved the NEXT night to a room slightly bigger- we still could not open our suitcases but at least we could use the bathroom facilities. The room however was not clean and there were blood stains on the curtains. One night we asked for a drink from the bar (bar is advertising as open until 11pm) at around 10.30pm. 2 of our party asked for a glass of wine which was served but when the third member of our party asked for a scotch he was told "no" no polite explanation just no. The staff are all non English and struggle with the language. My guess would be that they were trained in a former eastern block country and have carried on the same style of service. We will definitely NOT return.

Room Tip: Ask specifically for a room with a bath to ensure the room is large enough to get into.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Bimme_12
AcademyHotel, General Manager at The Academy, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback with regards to your recent stay.

I was disappointed to read your comments and please rest assure that I will discuss those with my team to ensure corrective action is taken to avoid similar circumstances in the future.

Once again please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused,

Kind Regards