“Lovely spot”

Ranked #556 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Glens Falls, New York, United States
“Lovely spot”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Stayed here with my 76 year old mother at beginning of November. The suite was spacious with nice decor. The staff was unfailingly helpful and friendly. When we opted to eat breakfast there, the buffet was well stocked with fruit, cereals, breads, pastries, yogurt, cheese and meat. Garden in back was peaceful and pleasant. Would go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Suite number 54, altho nice, is up several staircases. #51 is just as nice, but a floor lower. They...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Enid M
AcademyHotel, General Manager at The Academy, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience here with us at The Academy London.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that our continuous improvements in service and quality are experienced by our guests.

We will be delighted to welcome you again in the future and please do not hesitate to check our website as we are always uploading offers and packages as “It pays to book direct”

Once again thank you for choosing The Academy,

Kind Regards
Federico Ciampi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Czech first
Yoknapatawpha
Reviewed November 17, 2012

This is the perfect location for anyone looking for an intimate but elegant small hotel near the centre of London. It's close to most of the main attractions, but reasonably quiet. The rooms are relatively small but very tastefully furnished. The staff are very helpful, friendly and efficient. There are, as far as we could tell, no lifts; and the climb up the narrow staircase can seem a little precarious. But this was the only drawback in an otherwise just about perfect stay.

Room Tip: If you don't want too much of a climb, go for a room on a lower floor. The hotel is on Gower Str...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
AcademyHotel, General Manager at The Academy, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience here with us at The Academy London.

I was glad to read that you did enjoy your stay. Indeed our building is full of history and charm and our staff are always there to make our guests’ stay special.

Infact, if you are planning to come back to London soon, please do check our website as we are always adding promotions and packages as “It pays to book direct”.

Lambertville, New Jersey
Reviewed November 11, 2012

had a very nice stay here. very comfortable room with a great bathroom w huge tub.
had a few problems w electric conversions and room service was tnere in minutes.
nice touches like big bottles of chilled mineral water, free wi fi, i pod dock.
no prob getting cabs here and close to tube. and the staff is very friendly and attentive.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
AcademyHotel, General Manager at The Academy, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with regards to your recent stay here with us at The Academy.

I was pleased to read that you did enjoy your stay with us; indeed our Suites are large comfortable rooms with several nice amenities.

Please do check our website if you are planning to come back to London as we are always uploading different packages and promotions.

Looking forward to welcome you again,

Reviewed November 4, 2012

I had a lovely stay at the Academy hotel. The very excellent features were the wonderful staff, who were very helpful, attentive and professional. The room service and breakfast provided superb food - absolutely delicious. I had breakfast in very pleasant surroundings. It felt very peaceful and relaxed. The building itself is quirky with many stairways. It is easy to get a bit disoriented and I found the fire escape routes did not inspire me, as I was on the third floor. Also if you have a disability the third floor is quite a challenge, as there is no lift. This said, the room was noisy but overall it was clean and pleasant. The bed was comfortable and over all I very much enjoyed staying here. The staff and food were so nice this overcame any quirks of the building. I would recommend this hotel as place to stay. By London standards it was also quite close to museums, tubes and services.

• Stayed November 2012
AcademyHotel, General Manager at The Academy, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

I was glad to read that you enjoyed your stay, and most of all that you found our staff warm and friendly.

Indeed our breakfast buffer offers a wide selection of Continental items as well as a freshly cooked Full English.

Our building does not have a lift due to the heritage of the building, being a beautiful townhouse dated 1776.

I do hope to see you again in the future, and please do check our website as there are always offers and packages throughout the year.

southport
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Having just stayed at the hotel, we found it comfortable and clean. e had a family suit and the room was big enough for me, my husband and 11 year old daughter. The only thing I would mention is that the bathroom could do with a bit of an upgrade, but everywhere was clean and fresh towels everyday if needed. The provision of bottled water was welcome as well. There is a very nice conservatory and garden at the rear of the hotel, which if the weather been warmer we would have used. The location was superb, with some very nice cafes and restaurants just round the corner.We will definatley use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Having only stayed in the family room i cant really recommend any other ones
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
AcademyHotel, General Manager at The Academy, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedbacks with regards to your recent stay here with us at The Academy.

I was pleased to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay and that you are looking to stay with us again.

Once you have a date in mind, please do check our website or call us directly as we do upload various offers and packages throughout the year.

Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I was responsible for booking this hotel for my sister and I to stay in whilst visiting my daughter in London. I was initially attracted by the location close to UCL, and by the fact that this is supposed to be a 4* hotel. I also - foolishly as it turns out - thought that at almost £200 for a night's accommodation (breakfast not included) we would get a decent hotel. As it is this is one of the worst hotel experiences I have had and I cannot believe that there are any remotely positive reviews of this hotel at all. Some rooms may well be better than the room we were given (room number 24 at the top of the building which I think must be one of the rooms referred to by some other reviewers on this site) however, nothing apart from location is good about this hotel. Don't book it.
I complained to Federico Ciampi, the hotel manager, about the dirty valance and bed linen, the mould and lime scale in the bathroom, the smell, and the decidedly unhygienic looking bottle of water left in our room. To be absolutely fair he conceded to my criticisms and in acknowledgement reduced the cost of the room. In an email he promised to act on my criticisms. However, now I'm back home and able to get online I can now see from reading reviews here that he has been aware of these problems for some time and that nothing has been done to rectify the situation.
It seems that the Eton hotel group,or whatever it calls itself, is callously prepared to continue to charge tourists an exorbitant amount of money for truly grim accommodation. They can get away with this because booking hotel accommodation from a distance is pot luck to an extent.
On the evening we checked in and when we first complained, we were offered an upgrade to a 'suite' if we were prepared to pay extra. We declined the offer given that the suite was simply not worth the money being asked of us, and given that it felt like we were being asked to pay extra money for the hotel's terrible standards.
My husband and I will be visiting London fairly frequently for the next years and we will want to stay in Bloomsbury. I will always try to book into the Montague on the Gardens as my first choice. It is slightly more expensive but it is much better value for money.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank hsks12
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback with regard to your recent stay here with us.

As discussed already, please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

We are taking every feedback in consideration and as I mentioned we are working to make The Academy a primarily choice for guests booking in Bloomsbury.

Once again thank you for your comments,

Federico Ciampi

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Rye
Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

I travel a lot for work, and last week, my usual haunts being booked, I took a last minute chance on The Academy for three NOS. I was plagued by small problems, not too serious of themselves, but cumulatively frustrating in a hotel that evidently has such potential in its charming Georgian Townhouse setting: errors at check in and check out, mottled ceilings, sinks that wouldn't empty, poor house keeping, an early closing bar and dodgy wifi. The Academy does provide a direct email for its manager to whim I wrote explaining my experience, and I was astonished to receive not only the expected apology but also the offer of a complimentary night with full breakfast. Even more astonishingly, this could be expedited immediately which was incredibly convenient as I needed a room for the following night. The Charlotte Suite was delightful, one if the most comfortable rooms in which I have ever stayed (and I travel a lot for work in the UK and Europe). Particularly charming was the staircase down to the beautifully appointed bathroom. The WiFi was impeccable, the breakfast filling and delicious. If all the rooms can be brought up to this standard, The Academy will be a boutique hotel to reckon with given its location and building. True, the is no lift, but a porter is provided, and there is even a courtyard garden if the weather is clement. If I give five stars despite my initial reaction, this is to reflect the superb follow up and customer service shown by Federico Ciampi (itself part of any hotel experience) as well as my truly delightful stay on my second visit.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jrhblack
AcademyHotel, General Manager at The Academy, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback on your two separate recent stays here with us at The Academy London.

I was pleased to read that we did re-establish your faith with our property and certainly looking forward to welcome you again in the near future.