“very pleasant stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #516 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Lambertville, New Jersey
“very pleasant stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

had a very nice stay here. very comfortable room with a great bathroom w huge tub.
had a few problems w electric conversions and room service was tnere in minutes.
nice touches like big bottles of chilled mineral water, free wi fi, i pod dock.
no prob getting cabs here and close to tube. and the staff is very friendly and attentive.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
AcademyHotel, General Manager at The Academy, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with regards to your recent stay here with us at The Academy.

I was pleased to read that you did enjoy your stay with us; indeed our Suites are large comfortable rooms with several nice amenities.

Please do check our website if you are planning to come back to London as we are always uploading different packages and promotions.

Looking forward to welcome you again,

Federico Ciampi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

I had a lovely stay at the Academy hotel. The very excellent features were the wonderful staff, who were very helpful, attentive and professional. The room service and breakfast provided superb food - absolutely delicious. I had breakfast in very pleasant surroundings. It felt very peaceful and relaxed. The building itself is quirky with many stairways. It is easy to get a bit disoriented and I found the fire escape routes did not inspire me, as I was on the third floor. Also if you have a disability the third floor is quite a challenge, as there is no lift. This said, the room was noisy but overall it was clean and pleasant. The bed was comfortable and over all I very much enjoyed staying here. The staff and food were so nice this overcame any quirks of the building. I would recommend this hotel as place to stay. By London standards it was also quite close to museums, tubes and services.

• Stayed November 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AcademyHotel, General Manager at The Academy, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience here with us at The Academy London.

I was glad to read that you enjoyed your stay, and most of all that you found our staff warm and friendly.

Indeed our breakfast buffer offers a wide selection of Continental items as well as a freshly cooked Full English.

Our building does not have a lift due to the heritage of the building, being a beautiful townhouse dated 1776.

I do hope to see you again in the future, and please do check our website as there are always offers and packages throughout the year.

southport
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

Having just stayed at the hotel, we found it comfortable and clean. e had a family suit and the room was big enough for me, my husband and 11 year old daughter. The only thing I would mention is that the bathroom could do with a bit of an upgrade, but everywhere was clean and fresh towels everyday if needed. The provision of bottled water was welcome as well. There is a very nice conservatory and garden at the rear of the hotel, which if the weather been warmer we would have used. The location was superb, with some very nice cafes and restaurants just round the corner.We will definatley use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Having only stayed in the family room i cant really recommend any other ones
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
AcademyHotel, General Manager at The Academy, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedbacks with regards to your recent stay here with us at The Academy.

I was pleased to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay and that you are looking to stay with us again.

Once you have a date in mind, please do check our website or call us directly as we do upload various offers and packages throughout the year.

Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

I was responsible for booking this hotel for my sister and I to stay in whilst visiting my daughter in London. I was initially attracted by the location close to UCL, and by the fact that this is supposed to be a 4* hotel. I also - foolishly as it turns out - thought that at almost £200 for a night's accommodation (breakfast not included) we would get a decent hotel. As it is this is one of the worst hotel experiences I have had and I cannot believe that there are any remotely positive reviews of this hotel at all. Some rooms may well be better than the room we were given (room number 24 at the top of the building which I think must be one of the rooms referred to by some other reviewers on this site) however, nothing apart from location is good about this hotel. Don't book it.
I complained to Federico Ciampi, the hotel manager, about the dirty valance and bed linen, the mould and lime scale in the bathroom, the smell, and the decidedly unhygienic looking bottle of water left in our room. To be absolutely fair he conceded to my criticisms and in acknowledgement reduced the cost of the room. In an email he promised to act on my criticisms. However, now I'm back home and able to get online I can now see from reading reviews here that he has been aware of these problems for some time and that nothing has been done to rectify the situation.
It seems that the Eton hotel group,or whatever it calls itself, is callously prepared to continue to charge tourists an exorbitant amount of money for truly grim accommodation. They can get away with this because booking hotel accommodation from a distance is pot luck to an extent.
On the evening we checked in and when we first complained, we were offered an upgrade to a 'suite' if we were prepared to pay extra. We declined the offer given that the suite was simply not worth the money being asked of us, and given that it felt like we were being asked to pay extra money for the hotel's terrible standards.
My husband and I will be visiting London fairly frequently for the next years and we will want to stay in Bloomsbury. I will always try to book into the Montague on the Gardens as my first choice. It is slightly more expensive but it is much better value for money.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank hsks12
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback with regard to your recent stay here with us.

As discussed already, please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

We are taking every feedback in consideration and as I mentioned we are working to make The Academy a primarily choice for guests booking in Bloomsbury.

Once again thank you for your comments,

Federico Ciampi

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Rye
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

I travel a lot for work, and last week, my usual haunts being booked, I took a last minute chance on The Academy for three NOS. I was plagued by small problems, not too serious of themselves, but cumulatively frustrating in a hotel that evidently has such potential in its charming Georgian Townhouse setting: errors at check in and check out, mottled ceilings, sinks that wouldn't empty, poor house keeping, an early closing bar and dodgy wifi. The Academy does provide a direct email for its manager to whim I wrote explaining my experience, and I was astonished to receive not only the expected apology but also the offer of a complimentary night with full breakfast. Even more astonishingly, this could be expedited immediately which was incredibly convenient as I needed a room for the following night. The Charlotte Suite was delightful, one if the most comfortable rooms in which I have ever stayed (and I travel a lot for work in the UK and Europe). Particularly charming was the staircase down to the beautifully appointed bathroom. The WiFi was impeccable, the breakfast filling and delicious. If all the rooms can be brought up to this standard, The Academy will be a boutique hotel to reckon with given its location and building. True, the is no lift, but a porter is provided, and there is even a courtyard garden if the weather is clement. If I give five stars despite my initial reaction, this is to reflect the superb follow up and customer service shown by Federico Ciampi (itself part of any hotel experience) as well as my truly delightful stay on my second visit.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jrhblack
AcademyHotel, General Manager at The Academy, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback on your two separate recent stays here with us at The Academy London.

I was pleased to read that we did re-establish your faith with our property and certainly looking forward to welcome you again in the near future.

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

A pretty genuine London experience. The main advantage of this hotel is its location - very close to the university and the British museum. But my room (no. 58) was small, quite dark and with a typical London "bathroom" (shower only, low water pressure and the smallest hand basin I have ever seen - can only wash one hand at a time). In addition, i was on the top floor with no elevator. Bed was very comfortable and the room was very quiet, so slept well. Never found the tea and coffee facilities (despite asking) - on checkout I mentioned this again and was told that they should have been in a cupboard (why? And not one I looked in). Breakfast was good, though pricey (£10 each for continental; £18 for cooked breakfast; both plus service charge, which they don't tell you about when you check in!)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

AcademyHotel, General Manager at The Academy, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your experience here with us at The Academy London.

I was pleased to read that you had a comfortable night and you found your room quiet. Our hotel, being a townhouse property, cannot have unfortunately a lift, in order to keep its Grade II listed building certificate.

Our breakfast service indeed offers a buffet service for £10 and you can upgrade to a Full English breakfast for a further £5. All our prices have displayed the service charge which is completely discretionary. Please accept my apologies if this was not showed while ordering breakfast.

Hope we will have a chance again to welcome you in the future,

edinburgh8
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

Where do I start! The room I checked into had a strange smell about it. I also noticed that the pillows were stained and asked for new ones. After the (only saving grace, the helpful young porter) tried to find new ones, but couldn't, I got the old ones back with an extra pillow case on. Resigned to this unacceptable situation I went out for dinner locally. When I returned and washed my face in the sink - then let the water drain away, I discovered the source of the smell. Sewage and drain blockage bubbled up the drain in the shower and into the shower tray!! The room, and the hall outside the room it was that bad, was filled with a foul, putrid smell! I went down and asked to be moved.The night manager couldnt even be bothered to get up and come and see what had happened and I was put in an alternative room. Cold, uninviting and with a bed that had a huge dip in one side and was solid as a board on the other. Dirty valance sheet and freezing bathroom with no source of heat. I would never, ever stay in this horrible hotel again and if cleanliness, comfort and customer care are important to you my advice is stay well away!!

Room Tip: Avoid the bed in room 10 (and the whole hotel if at all possible!)
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank edinburgh_8
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your review with regards to your recent stay here with us.

I was extremely disappointed to read your comments and I have messaged you in private in order to discuss your feedback further.