“Gorgeous, historic and centrally located.”
Review of The Academy

The Academy
Ranked #557 of 1,068 Hotels in London
West Hollywood, California, United States
“Gorgeous, historic and centrally located.”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights in August and absolutely adored the hotel. It is made up of Georgian-style townhouses and our room was breathtaking - very high ceilings with beautiful crown molding and gorgeous high windows. Room was a very good size, with a television, large bed, small lounge area and lovely attached bath. It was the first time we had been in London for more than 1 day, so we were gone all day anyway!

The location could have been a LITTLE closer to the tube, although it was only about 2 blocks from Goodge station on the Northern Line, and a few more blocks from Tottenham Court Rd Station if you prefer Charing Cross or the Central Line. I also assume being on top of a tube station comes at a price premium! It was in a pretty central location, however, and also walking distance to the British Museum. I also felt that the neighborhood (Bloomsbury) was fairly clean and safe. Tottenham Court Road, one block over, had plenty of pubs and restaurants.

We bought a few "picnic items" on the Sunday we were staying in London (since shops and restaurants close early) and had an evening meal in the beautiful back garden - very peaceful!

We would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Even facing the street (2 floors up) we had no trouble sleeping.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Meredith M
AcademyHotel, General Manager at The Academy, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with regards to your recent experience here with us at The Academy London.

I was delighted to read your comments and I am glad that both you and your husband have enjoyed the charm of our historical building.

Looking forward to welcome you again in the near future and please do check our website regularly as we are always updating new offers and packages as “It pays to book direct”

Federico Ciampi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Czech first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights over the bank holiday weekend in August after getting a decent price from londontown.com. The location of the hotel was perfect, walking distance to Leicester Square and Convent Garden. We had a room on the top floor which I could see could be challenging if you're less mobile as the only access was via the stairs. The room was clean and comfortable and the staff were friendly and helpful. I would definitely recommend to anyone wanting a decent hotel in London that doesn't cost the earth.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here with us at The Academy London.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay over a very nice bank holiday weekend here in Bloomsbury.

I will pass your comments to our staff as it always gives a positive boost for the team morale to see that we are able to serve our guests in the way we promise them.

Please do check our website as we are always uploading special offers and packages as “it pays to book direct”

Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Hotel desperately needs updating, decor in poor condition.Television not working, reception and manager totally uninterested to the point of being quite rude! Positive points: convenient location, comfortable beds. Would I stay here again..........NOT A CHANCE!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
AcademyHotel, General Manager at The Academy, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with regards to your recent stay here with us.

I was sorry to read that you clearly did not enjoy your stay with us and I have emailed you in private in order to discuss, if you wish, the matter further.

Regards,

Federico Ciampi

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Vercelli, Italy
Reviewed August 19, 2012

What a nice place The Academy is. There is so much history and from check in to check out there was something to learn about the building. The gardens in the back of the hotel where a nice surprise and we enjoyed the nice weather in London. The staff were great and looking forward already to come back next year.

Room Tip: Ask for back facing
1 Thank Rosella S
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your recent comments with regards to your stay here with us.

I was glad to read that you did enjoy your stay and that you were fascinated by the history of our building.

Our Georgian townhouse was built in 1776 and indeed it has a lot to offer both with the décor of the room and our public areas.

I do hope you will have the chance to come to visit us again soon and please do check our website regularly for latest promotions and packages as “It pays to book direct”

Gurgaon, Haryana, India
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I stayed for 4 nights at this hotel. Very close to every thing in Central London so it becomes very convenient especially for business travelers . I Wish it had a swimming pool as well. Also a few Vegetarian choices on breakfast / Room service menu would be great

Room Tip: Ask them to give you a room which has the street side view,
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Mahen_gur
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor with regards to your recent stay here with us.

I was really pleased to read your comments and glad to see that you did enjoy your stay.

Please do not hesitate to contact us directly for your next reservations as “It pays to book direct”

Bristol
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I booked a room for two nights at the beginning of August and specifically requested a twin room as I was staying with my 26 year old daughter. We complained when we were given a double room but were told that we couldn't be moved to another room. The duty manager was very unsympathetic and merely offered us a complimentary breakfast on one of the days. This was totally inadequate compensation especially considering the extortionate amount I had paid for the room which I had booked in August 2011.

Our stay in London was spoilt by the fact that we had to share a bed. It would have been common courtesy to inform us that the room we had requested was not available so that we could have chosen another hotel. We will not be returning.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Caroltwocoats
Dear Reviewer,

I was sorry to read that your request for a twin room was not confirmed upon check in. Request cannot always unfortunately being guaranteed as mentioned on the terms and conditions of your booking.

We did however offer you a complimentary upgrade to a Luxury double room and complimentary breakfast as a gesture of compensation.

Once again please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused, and do hope that you will stay with us again in the future,

Kind Regards

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed August 6, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night this past weekend. The hotel itself is underwhelming. I really prefer to stay in small boutique hotels but I can't say that this one is worth the cost considering the good vs. the bad.

The Good:
1. The room was clean and comfortably decorated. It really keeps to the antique boutique feel.
2. The breakfast was one of the best continental breakfasts I have had (at least 10GBP add-on though)
3. The bedding is nice.
4. The location is alright. Central London but 10 min walk to the closest underground station--but that station is off one of the main loops so it will require a line change. Right next to a bus stop and the British Museum. Food options close by.
5. The staff was friendly and helpful.

The Bad:
1. It’s an old hotel with extremely squeaky floors, loud piping and really loud closing doors--you can hear people around you quiet easily, including the water pumping through the old pipes and the doors closing.
2. The garden that is shown on their website pictures--and is the reason why I chose this hotel over the others--is only a 20" area off the back that we were told is not used for breakfast service.
3. The beds are very hard (surprising since the bedding is so nice).
4. The bathroom shower had mold in the corner (again surprising since it would just require a small amount of beach to remedy).
5. The A/C was not sufficient for the room. We left it on 16 degrees the entire night and it was still extremely hot in the room. Understand that in England, you don't need this often but this is annoying when you do need it.

Bottom-line: Just an alright hotel. I will probably not stay here again. I will try some of the other hotels in that same area.

2 Thank Janell B
AcademyHotel, General Manager at The Academy, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

First and foremost I would like to thank you for the nice feedbacks with regards to our staff members, the room and the breakfast service.

We are always striving to achieve high standards here at The Academy and we are valuing our guests feedback constantly.

I was therefore sorry to read that you were not overall impressed with your stay and I do hope that you will give us another chance next time whilst in the capital.

I have passed your feedbacks to my team to ensure corrective action is taken to avoid similar circumstances in the future,