“Not Hilton quality”

GreenLeadersSilver level
scotland
“Not Hilton quality”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We recently stayed with in a family room as it is one of the few London hotels that we could find that provides a family room big enough for 5. This was our second visit to the hotel and we were disappointed overall. We experienced a poor service overall, room not available at check in time of 3pm, electrical sockets in the room not working. Hilton did provide us with a free breakfast and made a slight discount to our bill. Overall having stayed at various other Hilton hotels in London and elsewhere this hotel is not Hilton quality. We will probably look for alternative accommodation for our next trip.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank LolScotland
Marketingteam, Manager at Hilton London Metropole, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear LolScotland,
Thank you for your review. Having read your review it was disappointing to see that you left the hotel a little unhappy with your experience. We do our best to ensure each guests time in the hotel is exceptional and apologize for any inconvenience that may have marred your stay, specifically with the late check in, we are also looking into your comments regarding the electrical sockets. Kind Regards,
Rebecca Barr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (780)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Hi, I have the misfortune of staying at this hotel on a regular basis due to the firm that I work for.

Fundamentally, the hotel's key issue is that its staff do not take responsibility for customer service and this regularly means that:
1) You are passed from person to person to person when you have an issue that you need help with, this wasted a lot of time.
2) When you do get to speak to the right time, frequently they do not deliver on what was agreed.

Three examples, all from this month:
1) For one stay, I was given a room with a window that did not close properly and so could hear outside noise (more so than normal) and the room was cold. It should have taken ten minutes to move room but instead this process took three hours. During this time I got to speak to six different people multiple times (front desk, 'Magic dial' in-room help, maintenance, etc). At various points I was told the hotel was full (it wasn't and I had to show a front desk operator that I could still book a room online at 11.20pm in the evening) and that someone was going to come to my room in 30 minutes to give me my new room key card (they still hadn't after 60 minutes).
2) On two occasions this month I have ordered room service and been told it would arrive within 30 minutes. After one hour, I again got to speak with three different people and was told that my order would be with me in 15 minutes. After a further 30 minutes I was told that the item I had ordered for dinner was no longer available.
3) For the last three days I have been trying to get a duplicate invoice for a recent stay. As is normal, I have spent over 45 minutes on hold in total as the general enquiries team try to pass me to the front desk (in between them telling me that no one at the hotel can provide a duplicate invoice). I have had the joy of making it through to a front desk operator three times: on Friday I was told the invoice would be emailed immediately (it never was), on Saturday I was told that it was not possible to email invoices, today (Sunday) I was told the invoice would be immediately emailed and two hours later I have just called again and have finally received what I was first promised three days ago.

Perhaps I am really unlucky but such consistently poor experiences suggest a bigger problem.
Other than customer experience the hotel is ok (or will be once all the building works are finished) with the exception of the traffic noise from outside.

2 Thank Adam B
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We booked a family room for a weekend in London. As we were trying to get to sleep all we could hear was the bass from a wedding party in the hotel. We were offered a room move but as we had small children and had been told the noise would only go on for another half an hour we stayed on our room. Two hours later the noise was still going on!!!

When we complained the next morning we were told that no one had told us that in would only go on for an other half an hour and it was our fault for not accepting the move!!!

We were offered a 25% refund but I feel this was unacceptable for a room we struggled to sleep in.

On a positive side the breakfast was nice.

Bottom line is; I will never stay in a Hilton Hotel again.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Coates719
Cranston, RI
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 5 nights at the end of September. Had an Executive Suite that included breakfast & access to the Executive Lounge. Came back to our room every night to find a complimentary surprise from the chef & chocolates by our pillows. Housekeeping wasn't exceptional, but all of the other amenities certainly were. Location was excellent for touring the city for the first time. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Marketingteam, Manager at Hilton London Metropole, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear RITravelingMama ,
Thank you for such a great review we are delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the quality of service you experienced met and exceeded your expectations. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed the executive lounge and that the added extras you received in your room were appreciated. Again, thank you for taking the time to write a great review and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Kind Regards, Rebecca Barr
paris
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I called the hotel and also sent an e-mail prior to our arrival requesting a room in the newly refurbished wing, however when we arrived at reception, we were told there was none available. We arrived in our pretty small room and to our horror found a used shampoo bottle as part of our bathroom amenities. We rang reception to inform them, left the room for something to eat, came back and found a whole see through bin liner of amenities thrown on the shelve. From this point on we had very little expectation.
This hotel is definitely in need of refurbishment, we also noticed that our bedroom window would not shut properly, therefore allowing noise from outside, we mentioned it to reception and throughout our stay nothing changed
The only thing we enjoyed was the lounge access, breakfast was also okay with a huge variety if you can withstand the queue and the rowdiness, staff members however were great in terms of coping with the breakfast pressure and tried to stay composed at all times.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank montage2000
Dear montage2000,
Thank you for your review. Having read your review it was disappointing to see that you left the hotel a little unhappy with your experience. As I’m sure you are aware, we are a very busy hotel and as much as we try our best to fulfil the requests of quests, these cannot be guaranteed; depending on the occupancy it is often hard to do so. We do our best to ensure each guests time in the hotel is exceptional and apologize for any inconvenience that may have marred your stay, specifically with the housekeeping issues, your comments have been sent for further investigation.
Regards,
Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Me and a friend stayed at the Metropole for five nights, checked out for three nights (went to Paris), then checked back in for four nights. Overall we enjoyed this hotel...we could look past the construction and see that eventually the lobby will be finished and very nice.
For the first reservation, I had requested early check-in and I'm glad I did. I arrived at the hotel at 7:30 in the morning...and got a room! I had reserved the 'family' room with two queen beds and the sitting area. The room was large and comfy and the bathroom was the perfect size for two females and all of our stuff! I was glad to see two complete sets of shampoo/conditioner/lotion so we didn't have to request more. The room was quiet although we could hear the sirens on the street below. The major downfall of this room was that the door sensor for the key card didn't work that well...two times I had to call security to come and open our room and every other time we had to swipe our cards at least 10 times before it would open. I changed key cards twice so I know it was the sensor on the door.
When we checked out for our weekend trip we asked the concierge if we could store our large luggage (two pieces). He was happy to take them and he significantly reduced the daily charges because we were going to check back in a few days later.
When we did arrive back, the same concierge greeted us warmly and went to get our bags before we even asked for them! This time the room was a little disappointing...we didn't mind the twin beds but the bathroom and overall size of the room was too small. It's ironic...this small room cost more per night than the larger room! And the air conditioner never cooled the room down. (Weather that week was unusually warm, with day time highs over 70.) Even with the old, worn-out AC turned on highest setting, the room was never comfortable to wear anything but shorts and light shirts. When we checked in, there was only one set of shampoo/conditioner/lotion but the next day housekeeping replaced the set we used and left us another set...thanks!
Overall, the staff was friendly and always helpful. We only ate one meal there...the breakfast buffet. The food and beverages were very good and the service was quick and friendly. There were always taxis right outside the door.
As many people have said before, it is a 'conference' hotel and is very busy during the day as people come and go. But we were gone so much that it didn't bother us!
As for the neighborhood, it is a block away from Edgeware Road Tube station, and there is one that is right across the street that is closed right now but should re-open in December. There is a Starbuck's and other coffee shops just around the corner, as well as a large drugstore. It's a quick walk to Marble Arch, a bit farther for Regent and Oxford Streets. The neighborhood is populated with Indian, Pakistani, and Iraqi restaurants. We never felt unsafe walking on Edgeware Road to/from Marble Arch. We also stopped at some of the small markets and bought fresh fruit and bottled water.

Room Tip: If you want a larger room then reserve the 'family' room with two queen sized beds and a sit...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Annmarie D,
Thank you for your review after your recent visit at Hilton London Metropole. It was a pleasure to see that the quality of service you experienced met with you expectations. We appreciate all your feedback as this helps us to monitor and maintain the level of service we offer as a Hilton Hotel. It was a pleasure to read how happy you were with our ‘family rooms’ and that you found the staff friendly and helpful and that you enjoyed the breakfast buffet. Thank you for mentioning the close proximity to marble arch/oxford street and the tube stations. We do however apologise for the inconvenience caused with regards to the room key sensor. Again, thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review and we hope you had a lovely time in Paris too. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to London. Kind Regards,
Barnehurst, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2013

The hotel lobby was beautiful with ambience and interesting lights though sea urchins or pumpkin lantern would be better. The hotel was a beehive of activity and wouldn't recommend it for a posh break or a get away. For a West End show and a ethnic character for the area it is great and not far from Oxford Street if you want to do shopping. The rooms could be better and the staff whom I found nosy and very little entertainment in the bar. It is a bit expensive for the standard I got in both the service and luxury of the hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank Ismat J. A
Dear Ismat J. A
Thank you for taking the time to write a review after your recent stay at Hilton London Metropole. We appreciate your feedback as it helps us to improve the services we offer as a Hilton Hotel. We hope to welcome you back in the near future. Kind Regards,