“Convenient location but in need of a revamp”

London Marriott Hotel Marble Arch
Ranked #382 of 1,067 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Convenient location but in need of a revamp”
Reviewed December 13, 2013

We only spent one night here, as my partner was having heart surgery at a local hospital the next morning at 7am, and so even though we live near London we needed to be located nearer to this part of town. The hotel is quite small and tucked away down a side street. In comparison to other Marriott hotels this one seems overdue for a refit. The rooms are not unclean, but are in the old fashioned Marriott style which seems a little tired and unglamorous now. The reception staff member had kindly upgraded us to a larger room, but unfortunately we had to reject it and ask for another, as it overlooked the junction of George Street and, despite being on the 11th floor, the traffic noise and emergency vehicle sirens were very loud. This was due to the fact that pretty much the whole wall facing the road was one giant window, letting in all the noise. It was crucial we had a good night's sleep so this wouldn't do. However, when we went back downstairs the female receptionist made a fatal error, one that I've only encountered once before in a hotel. When we said it was a noisy room she said in a rather annoyed tone that it certainly was not noisy because it was far away from other guests. Had she ever been up there I wonder? I don't think you can contradict customers. If the customer says it's too noisy then it's too noisy. That's like complaining about your food in a restaurant and the waiter says no, it's not too cold/too salty/too well-done/too undercooked which makes you feel stupid. Anyway, that soured things a bit, but we got a quieter room. Room service was delivered by a delightful staff member, but we were a little underwhelmed by the food. For example none of the dishes came with any sauce and gnocchi with no sauce is a bit dull. Breaded cheese with no sauce is also pretty boring. We'll be back as we have to stay in this area in future, but I wouldn't recommend it if you are coming on holiday and want somewhere special and memorable. Try the Royal Horseguards Hotel for a really good London welcome (see my review).

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the internal courtyard area, away from George Street for a quieter room. The v...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
La Jolla, California
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I chose this hotel for a weekend stay in London. I am a Marriott Gold member and some ofmy recent experiences have been hit or miss. The website gave clear instructions on how to walk from one of two underground stations to the hotel bdirections were spot on and found the hotel.

My reservation was all in order and they confirmed I had access to the club lounge and upgraded me to a club room. Room on the smaller side - but this has been my experience with most London hotels. I was in room 1107, and it had a queen suze bed and lots of pillows. A huge positive was the US power outlet so no need to request an adaptor. Water in room. Bathrobe, slippers, toiletries were the usual shampoo, conditioner, but they also had q-tips/cotton buds - yes!

I went to the lounge to do a bit of work and have a glass of wine. Realized there was no adaptor to charge my laptop. The lady on duty arranged for me to use one while I was in the lounge. The service in the lounge was amazing, and it is quite small, so the seats were all occupied and both attendants on both nights were cheerful and gave great service. And some of the other guests were quite demanding, and was very impressed by how well they managed them.

I had breakfast in the restaurant each day - great section and service was efficient. Also, good selection if newspapers. Concierge helped e with my plans to get to Hampton Court via public transportation. Again great service.

Loved I could open the window, so turned off the air conditioning and enjoyed fresh air for my stay. My room had a great view over the city. Loved lying in bed and watching the sun rise!

Check-out went smoothly. Only thing that marred my experience was the taxi when I left - he is the only London cabbie I have experienced that had no idea where he was going. But that is nit the fault of the hotel.

Was very impressed with my whole experience during this stay and would willingly stay again.

Room Tip: Room 1107 has a queen bed with a great view of the city.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank AussieNarelle
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Nice, smallish Marriott which is well-located in London for most activities such as theatres, museums etc as long as you don't mind a bit of a walk.

Nice basement swimming pool with gym, sauna etc. Breakfast is very good; great spread of food and a lovely restaurant.

Wifi worked well but don't know about cost as I got it free with my membership card.

Rooms are nice, clean, usual Marriott standard.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is in a very convenient location and a quick walk to Marble Arch and Hyde Park. The rooms are basic and clean, and although on the smaller side, still very comfortable. I did find 'the walls a bit thin' so if you are a light sleeper you may need ear plugs. Breakfast was included in my room rate and it was a very good deal. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, so would stay here again.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed December 4, 2013

This time I got a room away from Adelaide Road and the noise reduction was considerable and the ear plugs are not required :) Room is fine and functional, nice and clean and quiet

The staff put on an "Winter Wonderland" for the Elite Members on Tuesday night which was awesome, Santa Claus, Toy Trains, Turkey with trimmings, Roast Beef & Yorkshire Pud and salmon, lasagna, veg, starters and deserts accompanied with proseco, red and white wine or soft drinks. A veritable feast and it ran from 17:30 to 21:00. There we're even complimentary neck and shoulder massages. Thank you Marriott and Merry Christmas to you all.

Room Tip: If your Gold / Platinum and fancy something other alcoholic than red or white wine there's a 50...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Eugene1958
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Room not as booked, dirty carpet , damp linen on bed, unhelpful receptionists, noisy heating system - impossible to sleep with it on, mistakes on bill - (again - they always seem to overcharge which leads me to believe it is not accidental). Stayed with Marriott for over thirty years but in the last 3 years we have had problems everywhere we stayed so now looking for an alternative.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Mike M
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed November 24, 2013

It was my first time visiting London and I had a beautiful experience staying at this hotel, it was cozy and so welcoming. The bed was very comfortable and the room was spacious. The location was perfect as it was walking distance to tourist attraction sites as it was in the heart of London.

Room Tip: Superior Room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business