“Reasonable Hotel, Let Down by The Service”

London Marriott Hotel Marble Arch
Ranked #398 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I stayed here for £188 for one night because my usual haunt, the nearby Hilton Metropole, was asking over £400 for a night. Because of my recent travels to central europe, I've just become a Marriott cardholder so it was an interesting experience to compare Marriott service with Hilton Gold hhonors service.

Check in was fine and the room was OK, albeit rather old fasioned and a bit worn in places. What annoyed me though was a very disappointing service experience in Chat's Bar. There was nobody being served when I walked up to the bar but it still took someone several minutes to condescend to come and take my order. Having eventually poured my beer, I was then kept waiting for the change while the staff member talked to colleagues, messed around with the till and generally did his best not to appear in the slightest bit interested in my custom.

To add insult to injury, my one pint of Stella attracted an "optional service charge" of 56p and the receipt I was given left space for a tip. This is a pernicious scam which a chain of Marriott's size ought to stop.

I noticed other drinkers with what I assume were complementary peanuts, which might justify a proportion of the service charge, but I didn't get any.

I then (with hindsight against my better judgement) ordered a burger. This took 30 minutes to arrive and at best was average.

So, Marriott have probably lost a chance to switch me from the Hilton Metropole, unless there's a massive price differential again, and to be honest I will steer clear of Chat's if I ever go back to the Marriott - it isn't worth the money.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Jorganmeister
Lonma -, General Manager at London Marriott Hotel Marble Arch, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at the Marriott Marble Arch, your honest feedback is invaluable to us and appreciated.
I do apologise for the service experienced in the bar and the time it took to have your order served. Your comments will be taken on board and addressed.
Gratuities are there as many of our customers are leaving tips in addition to the service charge and always need to explain how to do so to our customers, not that we mind, but thought it a good way to inform our customers. I am very sorry if this was in any way confusing and equally an explanation not given. Just to let you know we do not offer complimentary peanuts.
We would be pleased to welcome you back to the hotel and should you give us another opportunity we would be more than delighted to show we can deliver the right levels of service afforded to our guests
I trust we will have the opportunity to welcome you back!

Reviewed June 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed her for 2 nights for a business trip. The first notable thing that stood out for me was that all of the staff were welcoming, friendly, and gave exceptional customer service. We felt that all staff treated us like we were valued customers. Check in was smooth. Our room was clean and comfortable. The concierge gave great recommendation for local restaurants. The hotel itself is in a convenient location to Oxford Street. The breakfast buffet was excellent. The staff even gave my customer a cappuccino in a takeaway cup. We felt very comfortable and happy with our stay here at the London Marriott Hotel Marble Arch.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Jackodoodle
Lonma -, General Manager at London Marriott Hotel Marble Arch, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review for your stay at the Marriott Hotel Marble Arch!
I am proud to know my staff could offer a service which was welcoming, friendly and bestow exceptional customer service in all areas to you and your husband.
Your comments have been shared with the team who are equally proud they could treat and offer a genuine service to ensure you were valued as customers, your needs met, and able to have a good start to the day at breakfast.
We are delighted you were both comfortable and happy at the hotel, the facilities accommodating, and the location convenient to your needs. Thank you again, your comments have been invaluable to us!
We trust we will have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

We stayed here for a weekend with friends in London just before Christmas and it was so easy and friendly that I stayed here again alone last month. The location is perfect for access to Oxford street and just a short tube or taxi ride to theatres. We found super little breakfast and supper venues en route to shopping which added to the overall experience - especially when needing to meet friends halfway between various hotels. The rooms are as you would expect if you know Marriott - decent size, clean, really comfy bed, good shower and sensible hair drier....if only all hotels were this consistent!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Lonma -, General Manager at London Marriott Hotel Marble Arch, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at the Marriott Marble Arch last month. Your comments are most appreciative and invaluable to us.
It is great to know that you found the hotel and guest rooms accommodating enough to visit again on your own, and our location perfect for accessing Oxford Street and Theatres.
Indeed there are many eateries in the vicinity open from early morning to evening en route to whatever you have planned.
We are delighted you were able to visit us again, and trust we will have the opportunity to welcome you back with our without friends!
Best Wishes from the Marble Arch Team!

Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed 3 nights as a family of 4. We arrived early from an overnight flight and were accommodated with early check in. We had access to the executive lounge which was a MUST for drinks and snacks at all hours of the day between sightseeing stops. The concierge was very helpful and suggestions were all spot-on. I would highly recommend this property and would not hesitate to stay here again!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank sschafe
Lonma -, General Manager at London Marriott Hotel Marble Arch, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Marriott Hotel Marble Arch. Your comments are appreciated and I am pleased that we could accommodate with an early check in.
It is great to know you enjoyed the Executive Lounge and equally pleased Concierge were able to assist therefore making sightseeing and enjoyable experience.
Thank you also for recommending our hotel and trust we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the London Marriott Hotel Marble Arch.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at Marriott Marble Arch for the conference.

Early checked in was available. We arrive at 7 am, hence we appreciated that, even though it was a 1st floor, but, hey, better than not. They let us move to higher room to get better view for 2nd night, thank you!

The room was decent, very standard Marriott, but not luxurious. The service was good. Most of concierge was helpful.

The best of this hotel is location! After staying in this hotel we understand that staying in London with style and convenience location is a must. And this hotel fulfilled that needs.

Located at the up scale neighborhood, make this hotel was prefect to explore London. In addition to, it is only block away from Baker street and Oxford street.

We noticed, this hotel in the border of immigrant areas, and upscale neighborhood, but it is safe.

Breakfast was good but pricey. This was the only hotel that you may "take away' your left over tea / coffee. For breakfast experience substitute, you may go 3 blocks away at Baker Street where you may find the Apostrophe and Canteen, an award winning resto for breakfast/lunch and dinner. And try the Union for evening beer.

We tried Spaghetti House at Brynaton Street for lunch, which was very near, 5 minute walk. It was decent place for lunch.

This hotel also place of Avis/Budget Rental outlet. What a convenience place to start your ride to UK's other city. The rental car was just in the parking lot ready to ride.

Will come back!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank NGHC

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Marriott Hotel Marble Arch. Your detailed review of the hotel and location is greatly appreciated. I am glad that you found exploring London easy from the hotel. The vicinity indeed does offer some great places besides the hotel for eating around Baker Street and the Marylebone Village. We’ve not tried the Union yet and may put it on our list of things to do, so thank you. I and the team are happy you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to the London Marriott Hotel Marble Arch.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Me and other 2 friends had a great experience in this hotel.
The staff was great and very helpful, we had an upgrade for few pounds.
The hotel bar is good and the barmen are really friendly.
Recommended

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank nerello_mi
Lonma -, General Manager at London Marriott Hotel Marble Arch, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at the Marriott Hotel Marble Arch. We are glad you and your friends had a great experience at the hotel. Your comments about the staff and especially the bar staff is fantastic and they are proud to have been of assistance. Thank you again and trust we will have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for a few nights at the end of may with a few friends. The hotel in in a mainly arabic but i found it really interesting and you get to great areas by bus or tube fairly easirly.

Upon check-in i found the blonde guy (Denis) a little rude but checked us in quick. Our room was spacious and really nice.

We had breakfast included with our room and the buffet was fantastic and the egg chef was really polite, friendly and he gave us some good tourist attractions to see.

Overall i feel we had a good stay at the hotel except for our check in.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay in May at the Marriott Hotel Marble Arch, and I am glad that you were able to get around easily on the buses and tube from the hotel. Your comment on your check-in experience is appreciated and will be taken on board.
We are pleased you all had a good start to the day by enjoying the breakfast buffet and our egg chef could also assist in suggesting good tourist attractions for you. We are equally glad you found the room spacious and nice and overall had a good stay at the hotel.
We trust we will have the opportunity to welcome you back.