“Excellent staff and seemed good value for London”

London Marriott Hotel Marble Arch
Ranked #399 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The staff are probably the best I have come across in a hotel - especially for the UK. We were made very welcome from the moment we arrived in our car. They unloaded for us, parked the car and took the bags to room. Room was clean and well equipped. The location was perfect for shopping and visiting central London attractions. We went for the Exec level with access to the lounge which is nice when you have kids! We would definitely recommend and go back next time in London. Well done to the staff!

Room Tip: 8th floor was good. I believe the exec lounge was on the 11th floor.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Gregg S
Marriott-Marble A, Executive Assistant to General Manager at London Marriott Hotel Marble Arch, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review about the London Marriott Marble Arch, the team are ever so proud they were able to make you feel welcome and take care of you and your family. We are pleased you found our hotel the perfect location for shopping and visiting London attractions.
We are very happy to know you would recommend the hotel and visit us again. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back.
Govert Deketh

Write a ReviewReviews (1,566)

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed here last weekend to see a show . Very nice hotel and close to attractions. We walked to Oxford Street on the Sunday morning.
Room very good and we paid a bit extra for the VIP lounge. Bar very cosy. Breakfast very good and freshly cooked food too. Good choice of fruit on the buffet .
Staff very pleasant.
We didn't use the pool . It looked pretty but fairly small but it is central London and amazing to get one !

Room Tip: We had a back room but I would say a fairly quite for central London location so didn't worry
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thank you for writing a review on the London Marriott Marble Arch and for the positive comments about the various aspects of the hotel.
The team are delighted and appreciative of your feedback, and trust you enjoyed the show.
Thank you once again and hope to welcome you back.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

This hotel is just few minutes away from the Park Lane and Hyde park as well as from the couple of tube stations ( Marble Arch, Bond Street And Oxford street) and you could consider it as huge benefit. Oxford street is just around the corner and Regent street is 10 minutes away, so another benefit for those who interested in shopping. Also, you can be sure of the Marriott brand standards (comfortable bedding, turndown service, milage programme, etc.). But this is probably it because the hotel itself is quite average and you could easily feel it from the moment you enter. Lack of atmosphere; average service; average food etc. You may select this hotel if you traveling on business and need comfortable overnight stay in the center of London but not for leisure or romantic trips.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review on the London Marriott Marble Arch for your stay in May last year, and your detailed feedback is appreciated.
We are glad that you found the hotel adequate for your business needs however we are very sorry you found a lack of atmosphere at the hotel, plus average service and food. We appreciate your honesty and the team has taken note of your feedback, which is invaluable to us.
Thank you once again for reviewing our hotel and trust you have the opportunity to visit us again and see the hotel in a different light.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights including NYE. We booked an executive king room, which provided us with access to the executive lounge. This perk alone was well worth the minimal extra cost it was for the executive room. When we arrived (less than 10 minute walk from Paddington Station and the Heathrow Express) our room wasn't quite ready as it was still early afternoon. The clerk quickly checked our bags and gave us a key that would access the executive lounge. We were able to freshen up, enjoy a nice cup of espresso and coffee after our overnight flight and enjoy a light snack from the lounge. Soft drinks, water, juice, snacks, and coffee were free and available from 6 am until midnight. The lounge also provides free wifi, which allowed us to check in with home from time to time.

While waiting for our room, we walked down to Oxford Street and Marble Arch (about 10 minutes) and enjoyed some of the shopping and pubs. Around 4 pm we were able to check in and I was very pleased with our room. We had a nice king bed with a sitting area. The bathroom was an average size. Overall, it was one of the nicer rooms I have had while traveling through Europe. The entire property was well kept and welcoming. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. The bartender and wait staff in the restaurant were extremely friendly.

Overall, I do not have one complaint about this hotel. It is located within a ten minute walk to two different tube stations (Marble Arch and Baker Street) that serve most of the major attractions with minimal transfers. We had a nice day so we were able to walk to Buckingham Palace and the Attractions on the River. We also walked to Notting Hill which is a little passed Kensington.

If I am lucky enough to return to London, I will definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Book an Executive room. The free breakfast and happy hour are well worth the minimal additional cos...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ron S

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at the London Marriott Marble Arch in December 2012. We trust (although well into the New Year) 2013 has been a good start for you and your wife and you both enjoyed Europe.
Your review of the hotel is fantastic! Thank you for the great comments and the details covering every aspect of your stay, it was sheer delight to read. The team are over the moon we were able to make your stay an accommodating and enjoyable one.
We trust that you will be lucky enough to return to London and visit us again!

Reviewed January 5, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times before. There is not a lot wrong with it as a medium range hotel, checking in fine, helpful concierge, tidy room, average leisure facillities and friendly staff.
However I have to say the food is rubbish, on arrival I had a steak sandwich which was burnt this should have sent off the alarm bells. For dinner that night I had Mussels which took an eternity to arrive and were very average followed by Toulouse Sausage which was ok.
The second night I had some battered Prawns which despite taking ages to arrive were very nice, this was followed by a Steak which was by a distance the worst I have ever had, I simply could'nt cut it as for being medium rare it was virtually cremated also the chips were undercooked almost white. An enthusiastic young man said how is your Steak sir, I said it's as tough as old boots he offered to change it being it was getting on a bit and I was tired I declined and I did'nt want to make a fuss. I did mention to another waiter of the poor quality and maybe I could have a complimentary Creme Brullee but he just smiled and gave me my bill.
I would also add that the staff in the restaurant and bar were very young none over about 23 and there did'nt seem to be anybody in charge.
Breakfast was ok.
Nick adams

Room Tip: Don't eat there
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank nick a

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking for taking the time to write a review on the London Marriott Marble Arch. We are really appreciative of your feedback.
We are sorry to hear about your feelings on the food, especially the steak at the hotel and apologise for the slowness on your food orders. Whilst we are pleased one waiter assisted in wanting to change your steak, we are sorry to hear of the flippant attitude of the other waiter. I have personally made sure this was addressed with the team in order for it not to occur in future.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Stayed here for New Year and overall enjoyed the experence . The little moans were we were sold a executive room with executive lounge access but on arrival were told that our eldest daughter (16) had to pay an extra £15 per night for the lounge access . We agreed to pay this which was a total waste as certainly not worth the £15 . Our other daughter (!2) was only allowed in the lounge till 5.30 pm. We never went in the lounge at night as we would have had to leave one chlid out of our company. Our executive room was supposely larger but still possibly the smallest room we have stayed in at any Marriott hotel. Also no free wi fi in room which some other rooms had . Room clean but nothing fancy. .Plus sides was all the staff were first class and I can not praise them enough Breakfast very good . Bar area very good . Liesure fasilities quite poor . Location of hotel good. . i do not thing i would stay at this hotel again but certainly nothing major wrong either .

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Samsam48
Marriott-Marble A, EXecutive Assistant to General Manager at London Marriott Hotel Marble Arch, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at the London Marriott Marble Arch in January this year. I am glad that you enjoyed the experience.
We are sorry if information regarding use of our executive lounge and various internet packages were not made clear to you. We appreciate your honesty and the team has taken note of your feedback which has been useful to us. Thank you for the great comments about the staff, they are delighted and proud of themselves. Your observations on other aspects of the hotel including the leisure club were also appreciated.
Thank you once again for reviewing our hotel and trust we can welcome you back.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed here over New Year's Eve weekend. Normally we stay at the Maida Vale, Regent's Park, or Kensington Marriott, but since we were in London for such a limited time I opted to stay closer to our activities. I used points for our stay, so I didn't have to worry about the nightly room rate. The hotel was about a ten minute walk from the Marble Arch tube station. We took a taxi from Paddington Station and it was about 7 Pounds.

Upon arrival at the hotel a doorman opened the taxi door and welcomed us to the property. The doormen are smartly dressed in red coats and matching bowler hats. The lobby was small and there were quite a few people there, so it seemed a bit cramped. There were only two staff members at check-in, and no separate check-in for elite Marriott Rewards members, so there was a bit of a wait to check-in. I asked if there was an upgrade available (I'm Platinum Premier), but due to the holiday weekend none were available. The clerk told me they had a room on the ninth floor for us, but it wasn't ready yet, but he could offer a similar room on the fourth floor. We were tired and opted for the room on the fourth floor. The room seemed a bit small compared to the other London Marriotts we have stayed at.

Room was clean and well stocked with towels and amenities, except no conditioner. Our room faced a building that was under renovation, but that didn't bother us as we weren't in London to sit in our room and look out the window. There was a mini-bar, a water heater (with a supply of tea bags and coffee), and ice bucket in the room. We had complimentary Wi-Fi in our room. This was also available in the lobby. Due to my status, we had access to the Executive Lounge. There was complimentary breakfast each day, along with snacks and non-alcoholic drinks during the day, and happy hour in the evening. We stopped in one evening and the attendant immediately asked if we would like some wine. The wine was complimentary, unlike in the US where you must pay. There were also finger foods. We also stopped in on New Year's Eve for happy hour, but there were no open tables, so we just took our food back to our room. Children are not allowed in the Executive Lounge in the evening and the attendant had to explain that to someone who was trying to come in with their children. The few times I stopped in during the day it seemed that many women were there hanging out with their kids.

There were a lot of children at this hotel. Many wandering around without an adult. Some were laying in the hallway.

I was told we had the option of taking breakfast in the restaurant if we so desired. We opted for the full English buffet breakfast in the restaurant. Typical standard British breakfast foods, with eggs/omelets cooked to order. The only complaint we had was that the breakfast potatoes were never hot the three mornings we dined here. The restaurant looked as if it had some water leaks as there were stains on the ceiling and walls.

We had a leak in our bathroom, with water coming out from around one of the lights. We informed a staff member at the front desk. His first concern was whether or not any of our belongings had gotten wet. We assured him all was fine with our belongings and just wanted to let them know about the leak. He had maintenance come up and when we returned that evening the staff member remembered us and let us know maintenance took care of the leak.

The concierge was quite helpful. We discovered our airline had canceled our return reservation and I was having difficulty calling their London number. I went down to the concierge desk and explained the situation. He dialed the number for me and handed me the phone. His help put me at ease as we got our reservation reinstated.

Check-out was quick, and the bill was correct. Doorman quickly flagged a taxi for us, even though it was New Year's Day.

All staff members we encountered were friendly and helpful. We have no issues with the hotel, but will more than likely stay at one of our "usual" Marriotts on our next visit to London.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank UOtterTravel
Marriott-Marble A, Executive Assistant to General Manager at London Marriott Hotel Marble Arch, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write an informative and most invaluable review about the London Marriott Marble Arch.
It was concerning to read about the lack of conditioner in the room you occupied and of the cold breakfast potatoes three days in a row. The team have taken note to ensure this is not repeated. We also apologise for any inconvenience caused with the leak in the guest bathroom.
We are proud of our staff service and pleased to hear staff members from the time of your arrival to departure were on hand to assist you but do apologise for the wait at check in.
Just to let you know the restaurant ceiling has recently been redecorated.
We are sorry to hear you may not visit us again but thank you for your loyalty to Marriott.
Thank you once again for reviewing our hotel and trust we can welcome you back.