“It is OK just 2 1/2 star”

London Marriott Hotel Marble Arch
Ranked #394 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed September 15, 2012

the hotel is locate in a good location, the rooms are no to big but ok, and the staft of the hotel very good, exept the people from the consierge. I ask to a good english restaurante at 9:40pm and the consierge toll me to to a italian restaurant that it was excellent, i know the place becouse 2 day before we when there and the worse italian restaurant we left we did not eat there it besaide a very good one the banca italiana restaurant. and the consierge still toll me it was good, so we enter tripadvisor and found a good british restaurant so we when and was very good. please tell your concierge that if they send people to restaurant for a comision that is not good.....

Room Tip: do not eat at the restaurant for breakfast it was not good
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed September 15, 2012

We stayed at the MMA one nights with my wife and two children in a Executive room at the 6th floor. Room was large with two double beds, a desk, wardrobe, modem, air-con, a table and two chairs, with windows with view over some without appeal buildings. Bathroom was equipped with a bath-tube with shower, an hair dryer, but was very small. Breakfast was served in the Brasserie Cerntrale and had a plenty of choise: fresh fruits, ham, salmon, cheeses, sausages, olives, juices, jams, grilled tomatoes, beans, mushrooms, cereals and eggs cookied to order in several ways. MMA is located at the corner with Edgware Road with a bus stop at less than a five-minutes walk and Marble Arch tube at 10 minutes. There are many middle-eastern restaurants in the area and a Tesco shop open 24/24. I think it’s overpriced and you’ll surely find better options in the area.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Baldistuta
Reviewed September 10, 2012

The service in the restaurant was very good and the manager very attentive. I was disappointed when I was paying because the service charge was added, I think if you get good service reward it but it should be left up to you.

The hotel was clean and comfortable, when we got the deal we didn't realise VAT would be added to the rate! It should be made clear at the booking stage, I would not stay there again.

Room Tip: Wasn't worth the money. Plenty of more central hotels with nice cafe's nearer. Not suitabl...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Seafooddelights
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Stayed here for business in late July and was very satisfied. Its is clean, the service is good and the staff are friendly. Also conveniently located next to marble arch tube station which is a five minute walk away (12 minutes away from baker street station). Walk away from good restaurants in Marleybone as well so very happily situated. Would stay here again.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Pretty basic hotel. There are a couple of Marriotts near the Marble Arch this one is not the Marriott Park Ave one that over looks the Marble Arch, it is the less expensive one a few blocks away. There is nothing special about this hotel. It is basic accommodations but acceptable and clean. We were out being tourists all day and night so didn't want to spend much time in the room anyway. I liked that the electrical outlets worked well Nd they had UK outlets and USA style plugs in the walls. Umbrellas provided in the closet was nice for London. The water pressure in the shower was great. The beds & pillows very flimsy. I woke up with a sore neck every morning. My husband had no complaints on the bed but I thought it was terrible. The other couples traveling with us booked a room with two double beds and they were very small! If you plan to book this type of room - ask if they have queen size beds as I do not see two adults fitting in each bed. Our king bed , though uncomfortable, was large.

Location - very convenient and was able to walk to the Marble Arch area, Hyde Park, Knightsbridge and much more. Super short cab ride to SoHo which was great for nightlife since there were no bars or clubs near the hotel. The only bar was in the hotel. Nothing but a boring hotel bar. The immediate area is like other reviews have mentioned a predominantly Arabic neighborhood. I liked this because I enjoy being around different cultures when I travel. There were tons of hookah bars but non of them let you drink alcohol on the patios :(. That is why we ventured to SoHo for drinking . There was a tiny gyro spot where locals were lining up late night for gyros to go called Cafe Helens - so yummy!! It was tough to find anything but Arabic food though without going on quite a walk.

The breakfast at Marriott was actually really good with a nice buffet selection. It ranged from 22-28 GBP. They didn't tell us when we checked in that as Marriott Rewards members we got wifi and breakfast included so we wasted a lot of money in those departments. I'm hoping Marriott will refund us for this. Wifi is 15 GBP per day!

We stayed in room 817 No view except the back of another building. Not sure this hotel offers views.

The front doormen were very nice & helpful. The concierge is clueless and never knew any suggestions on where to eat or anything like that. Our research online was faster and better.

The gym is basic and the pool was nice with a hot tub. Clean, active facilities.

The hotel is very strict on their check in time!! We arrived very early and were prepared to walk around until the room was ready. They knew we had been waiting hours and still held out til 3pm to give us a room. It just didn't seem THAT busy. I finally went and begged at 2:40 and our rooms did come up ready. I understand it is policy but I wish we had been offered some water or
something.

There is no shop of any kind, no money exchange and no ATM in the hotel. You must venture out on the streets in the area for these things .

I dont want to bash this hotel because we had an amazing time in London and were happy the whole time we were there. It is a convenient location and the hotel served it's purpose. I just want to inform other travelers on what items to be prepared for. We had a lovely time in this city that is always alive!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2012

We stayed here for 6 nights incorporating the August bank holiday weekend. Upon check in the receptionist told me that the rates had changed for our stay, which I was aware of as when I made the booking online the small print stated that rates MAY change. She wrote the 2 new rates on our room card which was making it cheaper than what I originally booked. Then she asked how many people were staying. I told her that I had originally booked for 4 people as she could see from my original booking, but I said that there was only 3 of us now, 2 adults and my 11yr old son. She then said that breakfast wasn't included for my son & that this would be charged at £6.25+VAT per day! I wasn't happy about that as I said that I booked for 4 people & the price quoted included breakfast & everything I had requested, but some excuse was given to me which wasn't explained very well as the girl spoke broken English. Upon departure the room bill had been made up of the original online rates & not the rates we were given upon arrival which were written on our room card & what I had signed for on check in. I showed Dennis the receptionist the rates on the room card & he said that this had been a mistake & the original rates I booked online via the Marriott website would stand. This was £100 more over the 6 nights. I had also been charged for 6 breakfasts for my son when he actually only stayed for 2 nights as he stayed with my sister for 4 nights as she lives near Watford, but he deducted 4. The package we booked was the executive one which allows access to the VIP lounge. This had one PC and a printer for free use, but this caused queues frequently. Throughout the day all hot & cold drinks were free, and minimal snacks (jar of mixed nuts, jelly beans & small shotcake biscuits). Afternoon tea consister of a choice of 2 cakes. From 6pm-8pm was free alcoholic drinks (bottled lager, red & white wine only, no spirits) and a choice of 2 hot plate nibbles & 2 cold ones. We made the most of this for 4 of the nights while my son was with his auntie! The Hilton Metropole's executive package up the road was much better as they have 3 PC's with a printer each. Afternoon tea was a selection of several different sandwiches, crisps, selection of several cakes. And the free included spirits and cocktails as well as beer & wine, and the hot food in the evening was like a mini buffet with lots of choice. The leisure club in this Marriott was disappointing too. The pool is very small and has a jacuzzi built into the top corner of it which is all tiled & not like the usual separate sunken plastic hot tub. Also the saunas in both of the changing rooms were closed because Westminster council have made the hotel apply for a treatment licence to be able to operate them, so they are closed until mid October! The large gym that overlooked the pool looked very modern & well equipped but we didn't use it. Our room was on 9th floor and was somewhat basic for the usual Marriott executive room. The Leeds Marriott exec rooms are very modern & fresh, but this was just like a standard room with old furniture. The beds were comfortable, as are all Marriotts, hence why we use this hotel chain more. Breakfast was good, although the bacon served is streaky bacon & not back bacon as listed in the breakfast menu. We opted for an omlette each morning which was delicious & made up by the chef infront of you. The location of the hotel is just off Edgware Road which I was told that road and the area is run by Arabs. The was very evident outside & also in the hotel as 90% of the guests were muslim. Sometimes I felt very intimidated by this especially during the day time in the executive longue as it was heavily populated with large families & I was made to feel like I should not have been there. Marble Arch at the top of Oxford Street/Park Lane (Primark end!) is just over 5 minutes walk away as is the nearest tube, Marble Arch. The one good thing I must say, and who is a huge credit to this hotel, is the evening executive lounge host from Hungary called Sebo. He was fantasic and couldn't do more for us. A very friendly guy who was the best part of our hotel stay! I was very disappointed with this Marriott and certainly won't be using it again next year. For the price we paid & the room rate cock up & having to pay for a childs extra breakfast I can sadly say that this is the first time I have had to critise a Marriott, and didn't expect this service (excludes the service from Sebo) to a Marriotts silver elite member. I will still use them, but definitely not this one again.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first if you have booked an executive room!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank bextaUK
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Stayed here for business, it was as expected from the Marriott chain a clean, tidy and well run establishment that I have come to expect.

Check-in was smooth and professional, though a little more information on dining etc. Would have been nice.

I ate in the restaurant later that night with colleagues, the service was good and the food very well presented with some good thought going into a seasonal menu, which is nice to see, travelling alot can make meals very boring, but dinner was good and breakfast the following morning very tasty.

Checkout was very good, my bill was correct and the receptionist very chipper, which is nice at 8am and rare to find, normally it is a groaning 'morning' but not at this hotel.

Regularly in town for business and would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business