“2 stays within a month”

Ranked #124 of 1,068 Hotels in London
New York City
“2 stays within a month”
Reviewed September 26, 2009

The hotel is in an excellent location. In mid-September, my wife and I stayed for 4 days and the stay was fine with the exception of the concierge making a reservation for us at a restaurant and when we arrived there was no reservation and we waited 2 hours at the bar to be "accommodated" before leaving to go elsewhere. The laundry that I sent out was not back by the requested time and when I called to inquire about my clothes they were finally able to trace them to having been delivered to another guest's closet. Consequently, I was late for a meeting while the hotel had my laundry and was to be pressing my suits. And yes, I was still charged for the laundry.

The second time, this week. We had reserved a non-smoking room and were given a smoking room. When I requested a change they denied that the non-smoking room had been reserved. They accommodated me in a room the size of a closet where there was a 2 foot perimeter around the bed. The change request took the desk clerk 3 times of "going to check with the manager" and the gave me perhaps worst room in the hotel.

The fitness center is wonderful and the pool a delight. It is the reason that I have stayed twice in a month. Great equipment, although an AB machine would be a fantastic addition.

The hotel openly prefers its Arab guests and goes out of their way to ensure they are taken care of.
The entire staff is either Eastern European or Middle Eastern, it confirms Norman Tebbit's famous adage.

Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
4 Thank J&H74

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Arabic first
boston
Reviewed September 10, 2009

I traveled to London for business and brought along family so we needed a pool. Jumeirah has a very nice pool also a nice hot tub and steam room. The hotel is nice and in a good location, you can walk to Harrods and lot of expensive shops on Sloan are right next to the Hotel. The doormen and bellmen could not have been nice. I can't say the same for the Receptionists. I did not use the gym but it is big and has everything you need.

We had booked a room with a balcony and when we checked in they put us in a room at the back of the hotel with no balcony and a bad view. We had to call the front desk to change the room to one with a balcony. After a long overseas flight this was a big pain. The room with the (small) balcony had a great view and the bed was very comfortable.

Overall I would say the hotel is very nice, but I was not overly impressed for what we paid for the room at over $500.00 a night.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank judgeman
belgium
Reviewed August 16, 2009

Great location, good facilities (in particular the Peak Spa) and panoramic views from the rooms facing the garden. Good service. The rooms (unless you go for the very expensive suites) are on the small side (although well designed), in particular the bathrooms. Service is good but the atmosphere is somewhat impersonal and you could be anywhere ... in the Gulf (especially during the summer months). Breakfast is a decent but expensive buffet. Overall, this is a very good business hotel with many facilities in an unbeatable location. If not in London for business, I would rather go to the Halkin or the Draycott to stay roughly in the same area of London.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank topsmed
Espoo
Reviewed August 4, 2009

Very good business hotel in London. Excellent fitness area and excersice possibilities, with a good sized pool. Breakfast is incredible - and the price as well.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank sasuL
Stoke on Trent
Reviewed July 28, 2009

I stayed at the Jumeirah Carlton Tower with my wife and our two daughters for my wife's 50th birthday. I was hoping it would be rather special but was disappointed by several aspects of the service that I wouldn't expect in a Travelodge let alone a 5-star London Hotel.

It took over two hours and 3 phone calls before our luggage was delivered by the concierge to our rooms.

My business partner had ordered some flowers earlier in the week to be delivered to our room for my wife on our arrival. We arrived at 3pm on Saturday - the flowers eventually turned up, looking rather worse for wear, on Sunday afternoon after my business partner and I spoke to both reception and the concierge.

When I booked, I paid for breakfasts for us all. When we checked out, the breakfasts had been charged on the bill.

The flowers that my business partner had ordered (and paid for) and arrived 24 hours late had also been charged on my bill.

We thoroughly enjoyed the Rib Room but I'm afraid our stay was spoiled by the reception and concierge. It will be the Hilton or Grosvenor House for me next time.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank stokeaccountant
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed July 22, 2009

Awesome Experience but a little expensive. I would definately go back there to stay esp it is the famous Dubai's Jumeirah brand. !!!

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
JumeirahCarltonTower, Hotel Manager at Jumeirah Carlton Tower, responded to this review, July 30, 2009
Dear Guest,

We were pleased to read your review and to hear that you enjoyed your experience at the Jumeirah Carlton Tower. We note your positive experience of Jumeirah and your favourable endorsement of the Jumeirah Brand.
We would like to thank you for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to the Jumeirah Carlton Tower .

Gerard Denneny
Hotel Manager
Jumeirah Carlton Tower
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed June 29, 2009

Had stayed here previously when it was a Hyatt and loved its location.Most recently stayed at the Berkely and it was great! The Carleton Tower now has none of its old English character, but more importantly for almost $600.00 per night it ranks among the most unpleasant room experiences one could have. The room was so small two persons could not pass by the bed. It was positively claustrophobic. The rate was a Summer Days package that included children, the internet and breakfast.. We did not have any children, but there is no place for them except on the other side of the window.

The actual size of the room we received is in dispute since the reservation clerk gave me a smaller area( but officially it is 215-225 sq feet) for the Superior room printed on the internet. There was no upgrade possible and we ended up paying even more in order to get a room with a view of roofs of others, but at least space to turn around. It is called a Deluxe room (226-269 square feet) . It is somewhat smaller in size than a standard room at a business style Marriott or Hyatt in the US. While trying to find another room I found that even no smoking rooms reeked of smoke though we did find one that did not smell of smoke. The sink, however is glass and clearly broken and glued and the drain clogged! I reported the clogged drain , but to no avail.

A very attractive young woman receptionist worked very hard to try and find us a suitable room and was quite charming, but the manager, who I tried to contact on Mondaythrough his secretary, since he was not there on Sunday, did not return my call. I can only conclude they don't care.

The original "superior" room they gave us is only suitable for a single person staying overnight. But like the previous reviewer said once you are here they "gotcha".

The food at the Restaurant Rib Room was excellent, so you can go there to eat . But at thiis price almost any other London Hotel would be more comfortable.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank celebrationtiger
JumeirahCarltonTower, Hotel Manager at Jumeirah Carlton Tower, responded to this review, July 6, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment on your recent stay with us.

I am very grateful for your honest feedback. I have read with concern your comments regarding the size of the room you stayed in and would like to apologise if we did not meet your expectations.

While the size of our rooms varies depending on the category, the room you stayed in was actually slightly bigger than advertised on our website. Nonetheless I sympathise with your observation as hotel rooms in London tend to be much smaller on average than in the US.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to restore your confidence and welcome you back to the Jumeirah Carlton Tower in the near future.

Hotel Manager