“Great experience - would stay here again”

The Royal Horseguards
Ranked #99 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Boston, MA
“Great experience - would stay here again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2007

We booked this as part of a vacation package through American Airlines. We arrived around 9AM after the overnight flight into Heathrow. They had a room waiting but we decided to do the optional upgrade, so we had to wait a few hours. We still checked-in before the regular check-in time.

The room was a decent size, especially for London. With a queen bed there was still room for a small table with two chairs and a larger arm chair. The bathroom was clean but a bit drafty. However, we found that it got toasty warm if you left the heated towel rack on for a while before showering.

The best thing about this stay was the concierge service. One in particular - (I think his name was Nabib) - went well beyond his job requirements to serve us. He made reservations for us at a restaurant, which the restaurant screwed up by trying to charge us $180 for a show. They ended up calling the hotel and Nabib straightened everything out - including getting us into the show for free. Another concierge argued with a taxi company after our scheduled cab did not come to take us to Waterloo for a very early train to Paris. At 4:45AM he went out to chase down a taxi in Trafalgar Square. These are just two examples of the quality service we received.

Breakfast was OK. It was included or we would not have paid for it.

The workout room was very small and only had a few cardio machines. The room was stocked with chilled bottled water and towels (both free of charge) and had a tv. It was a great alternative to running along the Thames in unusually cold weather for that time of year.

If we could afford it (this stay was a special treat) we would always stay at this location.

• Liked — Concierge staff; Location - short walk to Tube, Trafalgar, Covent Garden, Westminster
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed March 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank myaiser

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,220)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
guernsey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2007

I have stayed here many times and this time with the family (2 rooms) for my 50th birthday. Lovely public rooms. We had one deluxe double (ok) and one Executive room (very good). We requested an extra bed for my daughter (£25.50 per night extra). The Exec room was great- spacious, power shower as well as bath and easy chairs with plenty of room despite the extra bed. Breakfast very good- take a deal with breakfast. Weekend rates good- weekday can be a bit pricey.
Have had deals in other London hotels- the Waldorf Hilton and Copthorne Tara. Waldorf on a special offer is very good for location, room and breakfast but the Royal Horseguards is lovely as it is right on the embankment and good value on a weekend rate

Stayed February 2007
3 Thank Raindance69
scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2007

I stayed in this hotel for one night on 6th February 2007. This is the third time I have stayed there. The first time I must admit I was really disappointed as my room was a very small single room. On the second and most recent occasions I was allocated large, spacious rooms with which I had no complaint. On the most recent occasion I had a first floor room with a river view and looked directly at the London Eye. I could not have asked for a better view. The room was equipped with everything I needed. It was spotlessly clean and there were good supplies of tea, coffee, biscuits, towels and toiletries. In comparison with some modern hotels where the walls are paper thin, this is a lovely old building which means that I have never been bothered with noise from other rooms or from other guests in the corridors. The staff are helpful and attentive. The location of this hotel is perfect. The Houses of Parliament are a 5 minute walk away and Trafalgar Square, Piccadilly Circus and Covent Garden are around 10 minutes walk away. While I did not take breakfast on my most recent stay, I would agree with other reviewers who said that the breakfast is worth getting up for. All in all this is a lovely hotel which I thoroughly enjoy staying at. While it is not the cheapest hotel around, it certainly is worth the money. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to other travellers.

Stayed February 2007
5 Thank laurells
Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2007

My husband and I spent 10 nights here over the Christmas season. We were quite pleased with the service and thrilled with the location. We walked almost everywhere we needed to go and the times we didn't walk, we were able to catch the underground right around the corner. We did upgrade on check in, paying the 40 pounds/night. But, what a view! There was a balcony outside our room from which we watched the fireworks over the London Eye. I don't believe there could have been a better view in all of London. It was perfect. The draperies were beautiful. The room did have the two double beds. It was recommended to us that we push them together to achieve the effect of a king sized bed. Of course, that did not work. Otherwise, the only criticism I would offer was the tiny toiletries and limited towels. These were both just barely sufficient. I would still highly rate this establishment. Some of these little irritations are just the difference between the American and European/British hospitality industries. And the staff at the Royal Horseguards was very helpful and informative.

Stayed December 2006
3 Thank LSEMOM
Hampshire, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2007

We stayed at the Royal Horseguards as part of a special theatre break for a birthday and it didn't disappoint. The hotel is in a fantastic central location right in the heart of London. The building is stunning, with wonderful public areas and beautiful spacious rooms with traditional ambience and modern conveniences. My family had two interconnecting double rooms and they were joined by a lovely marble floored corridor so nice and private. The rooms had lovely big comfy beds and everything you could want in a hotel room with spacious well equiped bathrooms. Everything was spotlessly clean and the housekeeping was excellent. The rooms looked over the historic Whitehall Place which, as it was the weeked, was quiet as a mouse - so no disturbances there. We were not disturbed by any other noise either - unusual in a hotel where you often get other doors banging. It felt very private and cosy.

We found the staff friendly, polite and happy to help. The restaurant at 1-21-2 served lovely food with silver service, but was quite pricey as was the bar bill (£9 for a glass of wine!), but I expect not so bad for a hotel of this quality. (2 course set meal here was £20 which was good value). The staff are very attentive. Cheaper places to eat and drink are within a stones throw as the hotel is so centrally located right by the West End, Covent Garden etc. The breakfast at the hotel was fantastic with a wonderful choice and everything fresh and plentiful and again the service was exceptional. Probably one of the best (if not the best) hotel breakfast I have ever had.

I would definately recommend this hotel for a weekend break in London or any other special occasion.

• Liked — Very Clean, Spacious and well furnished
  • Disliked — Nothing really
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank little-lily
Portlaoise, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2007

My wife and i stayed in the Horseguards in April 06.

I can only rate my experience in this hotel as average, and the main reason is the tiny double bed in our room was dreadfully uncomfortable. It was no more than a 4 foot, and the worst mattress ever!!.., on top of that the room was very small..now maybe we just were unlucky in our room choice, but......

But anyways, apart from that, the location is really excellent, the London Eye was directly across the Thames, and was lovely to wake up to in the morning. The hotel is very close to the Underground, and it is a very authentic London looking hotel.

My strong recommendation is to ensure your bed and room is up to scratch, otherwise you will have a most uncomfortable nites sleep!...

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The bed!
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank RoryMc
Seattle
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2007

Stayed there Dec. 24 and Dec. 25 (Christmas) 2006. Great location but facilities do not come close to the hotel web site pictures.

We drove to the hotel which was not a great idea as it has no facilities to park your car for checkin! (I guess everyone comes in via cab).

Reading these reviews scared us enough that we automatically upgraded for 40 pounds on check in(higher price upgrade since it was over a holiday I guess). The resulting room was small, extremely dry, with fan noise so loud I kept waking up thinking that the morning traffic had started outside. The tub was so narrow that I had to stand sideways to take a shower. I shudder to think what you would get without the upgrade.

Breakfast was 36 dollars per person. It was good, not great.

An afternoon Christmas day brunch was over 200 dollars per person (we did not do this). We only saw 1-2 restaurants open on Christmas day (and they were all very crowded). The tube and virtually all buses do not operate on Christmas, they do operate Dec. 24 with almost full schedule, and an abbreviated schedule starting at 8:20 on Dec. 26. We took the tube from the nearby Embankment stop to Heathrow Dec. 26 morning. It was $8 per person and took 1 hour. A cab/personal hire car would have taken 1 hour and cost $190 (double price since it is Boxing day).

Stayed December 2006