“Dream Hotel”

The Royal Horseguards
Ranked #120 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed September 24, 2009

The pictures you see on the hotel websites are usually different than in person. This was not, exactly like the pictures online. Awesome experience! Rooms very clean and large. Great location to the Underground, London Eye, restaurants/shops, etc. A wonderful staff of people. Everyone was so helpful and friendly. They were so accomodating. For my first trip abroad, I would do it again in a heartbeat and its because our trip started with such a wonderful experience at this hotel. This is exactly what I thought London would be. The outside of this hotel is just as beautiful as the inside.
Cheerio.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank ShowMeStateGal
Write a ReviewReviews (4,818)

Reviewed September 21, 2009

Superbly located for all the central London sights, this would be a great choice for a weekend in London. The hotel is newly refurbished and very smart, with clean, comfortable and spacious rooms. Ours had a good view over the quiet street to the front of the hotel. Only minor quibbles are that the soundprofoing in the rooms isn't the best, with noise from the corridors audible, and the breakfast was a bit disappointing, but great otherwise.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 20, 2009

My 14 year old daughter and I stayed at the Royal Horseguards the last week in August. We had a room on the 4th floor (Rm. 412). It was a really nice room and EXTREMELY clean, which makes all the difference to me. The only negative comment I can make is that the view of the River Thames is blocked by trees and there really isn't any view. The location of the hotel is EXCELLENT and we always felt safe. It is so close to all the sites a tourist wants to see on their first visit to London: Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Parliament and the London Eye. You can also walk to Trafalger Square, National Portrait Gallery and Buckingham Palace (about a 20 min. walk). The tube is just around the corner and we took it everywhere...Tower of London, Kensington Palace and to tthe Apollo Theatre to see Wicked. Everyone at the hotel was pleasant. I would not hesitate to stay here again. The breakfast was included in our rate. They serve a hearty English breakfast: sausage, baked beans, bacon, eggs, porridge, etc. My only comment about breakfast is that it never changes and it started to get boring after a few days. There are a few coffee shops near the Embankment station which have delicious panini. Wish we could have stayed longer!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank somanyoptions
Reviewed September 19, 2009

Spent 5 nights in September, and I have to say that this hotel is perfect.
The staff is amazingly polite and helpful, something not very common in Europe at the moment.
From the check in to the departure, nothing was too much trouble.
Good choice at breakfast, room very well equiped, great location !
Thanks to the entire team for the beautiful experience.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2009

This hotel lives up to all the reviews and the rooms and location are absolutely amazing. The hotel is located right on the Thames and you can walk to all of London's major attractions. The lobby and check in is elegant and the doorman is extremely welcoming. We were in room 314 and the bellhop took us up to our room and showed us all the amazing features of the room. The ipod charger/plug into integrated speakers in the room, the TV over the bathtub, the amazing view of the gardens, the robes and slippers, the safe and huge armoire, the large desk and flat screen TV, and one of the largest rooms I can imagine.
I can go on and on about this hotel, you must stay here if you get a chance. The rate was 129 for the regular rooms or 149 for a room with a view. Our view was of the trees so I don't recommend spending the money for the view. The breakfast was very nice, but it was 10 pounds extra.
This is by far the nicest room I have ever stayed in Europe and the majestic hotel is like staying in a castle. It is worth every penny and we never wanted to leave!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank FreedomTravel
Reviewed September 16, 2009

The Royal HorseGuards Hotel took my breath away...from the gorgeous building, interior and exterior, to the location, to the wonderful room - we were just enthralled. We arrived from the States at the ungodly early hour of 8 am (London time), and they managed to get us into our room very shortly after we returned from breakfast.
The room was lovely, with a terrific view. GREAT shower Breakfast..was nothing short of amazing - and included. A huge savings that allowed us to eat even larger meals for dinner :-)
As we were looking to walk all over creation, this location was perfect - the Embankment tube just steps away, and Charing Cross Station just a short walk away. Close enough to walk to Trafalgar Square, but not in the middle of touristy crowds. The hotel is also incredibly close to the Jubilee Bridge, from which one can get some incredible photos of the Thames, Big Ben, and the London Eye.

This was just ideal for us -- location, service, amenities, all of it. The only negative was that we couldn't stay longer. We certainly plan to return.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gmeak
Reviewed September 11, 2009

The Royal Horseguards is a beautiful hotel in a fantastic location. I agree with all the positive comments from many of the reviewers: the property was clear, the room was spacious, and the renovation makes the property look great. The reason for my 3 star rating is mainly due to soundproofing. I am a light sleeper and despite a fantastic renovation the hotel is not soundproofed at all. Every siren, passing car on nearby streets, and construction crane is heard inside at nearly the level of outside. It is unfortunate that during my first night I moved from a river view room due to noise from outside (and I was the second person to request a move for noise that same evening). My only other comment would be regarding room upgrades. The front desk aggressively pushed paid room upgrades in a somewhat ad hoc manner - I had this happen to me and watched it happen with other guests at a time when I was told the hotel was not nearly full. I never experienced this at other 4 and 5 star hotels in London, so it was surprising. I would recommend the property to anyone who gets a favorable rate as long as they are not light sleepers.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple