“Quite Nice”

The Royal Horseguards
Ranked #113 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed November 28, 2005

Stayed here three nights on a winning Priceline bid of $100 a night. The hotel was easy to find near the Embankment tube stop. It is in the middle of Whitehall along the Thames (which means it is very quite on weekends when the government shuts down). It is about a 10 min walk to either Soho/West End or Parliament. The hotel is in a charming old building. The public areas are nice with a big fire and cozy chairs. Upon checkin I was offered an upgrade for 20 GBP, which I declined. The room given was a decent size, clean, nicely decorated, with a firm but comfortable bed (some might find it too hard). The bathroom was also a good size and nicely appointed, with the singificant exception of paint peeling off the ceiling in places. Other than that, this a nice hotel in a great location.

• Stayed: November 2005
4  Thank KeithLafayette
There are newer reviews for The Royal Horseguards

Reviewed October 30, 2005

What can I say, I should have listened to the other reviews. I have stayed in a number of 4/5 star hotels all over the world and perhaps shouldn't compare. The hotel is in a great location and I can not take that away from the Royal Horseguards, however the room , well !!!!. The shower was mouldy and tired, the wall paper in one place was completely missing, an area of 50cm x 50 cm and in another place was hanging off the wall. The carpet was tired and dirty as was the chair with various stains. I was staying a junior suite for a not tiny amount and did expect a room of a much higher standard. I did complain about the room and was moved to a smaller room with a smaller bed. Only when asked did they compensate for this ,by agreeing to two breakfast.
One word of warning don't asked for a glass of red wine and a pint of beer, as will set you back £15.00.

• Stayed: October 2005
8  Thank BottellDM
Reviewed October 25, 2005

My wife and I stayed at the RHG for three nights recently and really liked it. We got a good rate through Priceline and, based on Trip Advisor suggestions, took the upgrade for 20 pounds per day. It was well worth it. We wound up with a very large and charming room with a great view of the Thames and the London Eye. The staff was really helpful and friendly and the location is very convenient to all the sights and the tube. Be aware that this is an old hotel, though, so even the relatively recently renovated rooms still are a bit worn and have some quirks, like balky switches, iffy heat, etc. Still, we were quite pleased overall with this hotel.

8  Thank SCJL
Reviewed October 16, 2005

This hotel has it all: great location, appealing decor, spacious rooms and bathroom, and to top it all off, heated towel racks. We found a deal on this place (100 GPS per night) which included a full english breakfast and so it was great value. It is walking distance to see the changing of the Guard, Piccadily Circus, Covent Garden and many London attractions. Highly recommended; definitely worth it to spend a little more!

9  Thank JBFlyGirl
Reviewed October 5, 2005

I stayed in the the hotel with some friends from Toronto, I was meeting in London for the weekend, I was impressed with the size of the rooms. We had a first floor room with a view of the Thames which my friends thought was fabulous . The rooms were clean and had everything you need as for the staff I found the ones I dealt with friendly and helpfull.

I booked with Guardian online and got a great deal twin room with breakfast for one hundred pounds per room inc vat, at check in they did try and say it didnt include breakfast but I had my documentation with me to show them .

Im not sure how much its without a deal, but I thought this was about right.
All in all I would stay again aslong as the deal was right.

Great location, good sized rooms and clean.

• Stayed: October 2005
12  Thank helsbels
Reviewed October 1, 2005

This hotel, nearby Trafalger Square, is a very nice place. It is very close to tourist attractions as well as to shopping areas and the theatre district. However be careful with the room you get, some do not have a nice (or almost no) view and not every room has got aircondition. However, the size of the rooms is quite impressive for a hotel in London. The room I got had very nice furnitures and was very clean. So was the bathroom and the size of the bathroom was even more impressive.
However, this hotel has got a big negative point as staff is not very friendly and gave the impression to be very bored in serving their guests. They always did what I had asked for but the way they were dealing with requests was not very professional. And because of the unsufficient service I would not stay at that hotel again, since there are many other hotels in this areas which might offer better service.

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled on business
9  Thank ht73
Reviewed September 29, 2005

We stayed at the Royal Horseguards June 21-24, 2005. The rooms here vary, and you must make a note, that they are remodeling this hotel. It has been going on for years, and will probably go on indefinately. All the hotels we stayed at in England went for the 20 pound upgrade, we just expected to pay $40 more after awhile. It's Englands little bait and switch scam. We read all the reviews first, and figured we'd do the upgrade. My friends went for the upgrade as well, and they got a 3rd story cramped (but newly redecorated) room with a view of the neighboring building and empty street. I got the same thing, but I wanted to have a view of the river Thames, so up to the 9th floor, through the twisty turns, and viola' what a stunning view! Room #2 was old, and had no air conditioning (yes there is a fan, but it blows air from the outside, not cooled in any way), it was unseasonably warm, so after sweltering all night and not getting any sleep, I went down at 6AM and switched rooms. Down to the 6th floor, in the remodeled part of the hotel, and in room #3 I enjoyed the air conditioning, and the view. And it just so happened that there was a part in the trees, and we could see the London Eye. I couldn't believe how different the rooms are in this hotel. Watch out if you have a long walk to your room, that would be the old part.
There is so much too see, try to get a view, don't settle for the other side of the hotel! I watched the trains come in and out of the station, the London Eye go around, the taxis and red double deck busses, & all that good stuff right out my window. Under the window is a cool park that runs all the way to Big Ben, And the other side looks like your staying at a prison.
I found the staff to be EXCEPTIONALLY helpful, and anyone not getting the room they want should SPEAK UP. How are they going to know you are unhappy? Make all your deals, and room swapping when you arrive, then enjoy this absolutely stunning hotel set smack in the center of the city. See the changing of the horseguards at the end of the street, and avoid the crowds at Buckingham palace. Don't forget to see Cleopatra's needle, just a short walk on the river to the left.
All the hotels in this area are expensive, but none have this location, so I deemed it worth any extra dollars spent. And money well spent.

• Stayed: June 2005