“Loved the Royal Horseguards”

The Royal Horseguards
Ranked #111 of 1,067 Hotels in London
El Segundo, California
“Loved the Royal Horseguards”
Reviewed July 21, 2005

A friend and I stayed at the Royal Horseguards for four nights the last weekend in May and found it wonderful. The location is excellent, just a short block from the Embankment Tube stop. From reading other reviews it seems we were lucky to get a nice view of the Thames. Our room was large by European standards and included tea, a small refrigerator and 2 bathrobes. Interestingly, the bathrobes had large anti-theft tags stuck on them.

We had a special rate for the weekend, not including breakfast, of 110 GBP per night. I thought that was very reasonable given the level of the hotel. The concierge made a very good recommendation for dinner on our last night taking into consideration our specific requirements. For my first trip to London this was an excellent hotel and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2005
9 Thank dahewitt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,247)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed July 19, 2005

Just enjoyed a 2 night stay at The Royal Horseguards having stayed there twice before, was absolutely first class yet again. We arrived at the hotel at 11:30am thinking we would have to wait before we could check in but our room was ready as soon as we got there.

Decided to take an upgraded room at £20 per night and it was well worth it, our room (on 7th floor) was huge. The room was very clean and tastefully decorated. We had a large en-suite bathroom with seperate bath and shower, again which was clean and we always had plenty of towels etc.

Location of the hotel cannot be beaten if you are there to do the "tourist thing," Embankment tube station is just sccorss the road, Trafalgar Square is literally a 2 minute walk, London Eye is directly accross the river, Big Ben and Houses of Parliament a lovely 10 minute walk along the Thames. For its central location there is also hardly any traffic noise as the hotel is on a quiet street just off Whitehall so you can get a great night sleep after pounding the streets all day!

Staff were all very friendly and helpful. The food was great, although we only ate our breakfast in the hotel so I couldn't comment on what the food was like if you had lunch or dinner there.

The only disappointment we had was on the last day of our stay when we went down for our breakfast in the morning and there was a 5-10 minute wait for a table. No problem for us but it seemed to be the end of the world for an Australian couple who were not prepared to wait and gave the head waiter so much hassle about it even though it was the same for everyone. Nothing to do with the hotel but it really annoyed me as the staff were trying to clear the tables and re-set them as fast as they could, some people just have no patience!

Great hotel, if you are in London then stay here!!!

• Stayed July 2005
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 7, 2005

Great location but on a quiet street and near the tube. Many things nearby and easy to walk too. Hotel is in an old building but does have some character. Our room was small but was okay becasue of the high ceilings and a large bathroom with a tub. Even though we did not have a nice view, there was a lot of light from the multiple tall windows. If you can get a reasonable price or deal from priceline this hotel is well worth it.

Stayed May 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 5, 2005

A friend and I stayed 3 nights at the Royal Horseguards Hotel in June 2005 after reading reviews on TripAdvisor. The hotel was very nice and clean-equal to a smaller Hilton and the staff was extremely gracious and friendly. They have a restaurant and bar on premises, but we went out to the local pubs and it was much cheaper. We had a beautiful view of the River Thames and the location was great. Other than the fire alarm going off in the middle of the night and evacuating to the streets in our pj's, then paying 34.00 US for 2 Irish coffees, the entire stay was fantastic. We were several blocks from Big Ben, Westminster Abbey down river and shopping and theatres. The tube at the Embankment was less than a block away, and if you can figure it out, it is the way to travel. If you fly in or out of Gatwick airport, take the bus or arrange for a shuttle prior to your trip. The cab ride was about 220.00 US to the airport (good thing we were leaving, because by then, we were out of money!) The concierge desk can arrange for a shuttle to the airport and it is much cheaper, but it needs to be booked 24 hrs in advance. I would definitely stay here again. Great impression for a first timer in London.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 4, 2005

My daughter and I stayed for a week at the Thistle Royal Horseguard. I ususally stay in vacation flats or apartments when I travel. Hotels are sort of a waste to me, but as this was my first trip to London, I thought I would benefit from the hotel staff/concierge. It was a good choice.
We loved the location, as it was walking distance to all that we were interested in. Within minutes we were at Trafalgar Square and the west end theaters. The Embankment tube station was right across the street as was the River Thames. A short walk across the bridge got us to the south bank, Tate and Waterloo Station. Big Ben and Westminster Abbey were a short stroll. St Pauls, a good walk of about 20 minutes.
The hotel itself is old, but still beautiful. Kind of like an aging movie star. You could tell the building was once splendid, but sadly time has shown it's face.
The room we had was huge with a seperate sitting area and a double sink bath. Despite what we had heard our beds in London were very comfy. We had incredible views of the River Thames and the London Eye, but we couldn't go out on our balcony as the doors and windows were locked Very disapointing.
We booked our hotel and it came with a complimentary English/continental breakfast. This was a great time and money saver. The food was better than average, (hashbrowns exactly like McDonald's!! great coffee, tea and a selection of fruit, cereal and meat.) Though not the best food in town, the service was excellent. Except for the horrid muzak/jazz playing annoyingly loud in the restaraunt, it was great!
The concierge service was helpful, the maid service thorough. All in all the hotel was above average, but something was missing. Maybe it was the lack of polish, or smoothness you expect from a big hotel. It wasn't slick, which was kind of nice and comfy. Next time I'll stay in a flat as per usual, but if I needed to recommend a hotel, this one would be fine.

14 Thank toconnor728
Reviewed June 27, 2005

Nice hotel but there were some things I didn’t like. I'm really not that kind of person that picks up on every little thing so I do think what I'm saying is fair.
I have to say that the location is great! The building is old and beautiful and the streets around it are not that busy (comparing to other London streets). We had a room with a river view but the windows in our room were blocked and we could only open them a little bit. The best part about the location is that some of London's most famous sights are 5-10 mins walk from the hotel.
We also enjoyed the hotel restaurant. We had dinner there 2 of the 3 nights we stayed at the hotel, and the food and service were wonderful. However when we decided to have a cup of tea at the bar we just sat there for 30 mins waiting for the waitress that was completely ignoring us! Generally I didn’t find most of the hotel's staff friendly. They didn’t prepare us a room we two separate beds though we specifically asked for it. So we had to wait for around half and hour until it was ready. Not a long wait but when you just spend half of the night at the airport and 5 hours on a plane you cant wait to get to your room instead of sitting in the lobby. Also when our keys didn’t work and we had to run up and down to replace them we didn’t even receive a simple apology.
The room was fine. It was pretty large for European hotels, pretty clean with nice beds and furniture. However the bathroom was horrible! The shower was old and rusty, the floors were dirty and the marble counter around the sink should've been replaced a long time ago.
If you looking just for a nice hotel in a good location the RH is fine, just done expect for too much.

• Stayed June 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Staffordshire UK
Reviewed June 26, 2005

Stayed at the RHG between June 19th - 21st. Temp – 33 degree C – 30 degree C
We had my wife, my 12month old daughter, myself. A friend, his wife and two children, 1 who was 14 months and 1 who was 2.5 years.

When we booked the RHG hotel, we specifically requested a suite that had a separate bedroom from the main living area, this would enable us to put our daughter to bed and allow us some freedom to watch television and or talk and we wanted a view of the Thames and London. We were told to order a deluxe suite.

When we arrived we were given the Library suite (room 911). I thought this room as awful, dark (very dark) dirty and dusty. The room rate for this room is £280 per night. For that you get a room with no view.. I mean.. no view.. When you pull back the drapes, you are confronted with a tall window with completely frosted glass. You get a staircase leading to the bedroom; this overlooks the living area but is very unsafe for 12-month-old babies as they can fall between the bars quite easily. The room had cobwebs from the lights and that must dust gathered on the picture frames and backs of chairs, it would have looked in place within Disney’s haunted house.

We asked to be moved.. we were told that the only other option they had wouldn’t be available until 5pm as the guest had a late check out. We agreed to this and decided on a visit to the London eye and a walk along the embankment. We returned at 6pm.. tired, hot (London at 33 degree C soon takes it out of you), We were told that the room needed to be checked to ensure it was clean. We were asked to wait in reception. 30 mins later, I decided to chase them up. I was told that they had forgot to check, please wait whilst we do it.. 10 mins later.. yes you guessed it.. I had to remind them again. Eventually, we were given the Egyptian suite.

We soon found out this suite was room 912, next door to where we had been before…
Although the room quality was better, it still had a fundamental problem that it was on two floors, no good for a 12-month-old baby. I asked for the manager to come and see me. He appeared and was very good. He agreed that we should have not been given these rooms and offered us a suite on a lower ground, although not as large, this would give us accommodation on one level. We accepted.

We moved to room 475. The room had a great view of London and suited our needs for the baby but the air conditioning seemed to be blowing hot air.. please remember that London was 33 degree C on this day.. We were unable to open the windows so we asked reception twice if it could be fixed. It never was.. we got so feed up with moaning we decided to put up with it.

We complained to the manager on check out about the problems we had had, she apologised and offered a huge reduction in costs for us, we accepted.

The hotel is indeed in a good location. I feel we were unlucky and I would be prepared to stay there again, only this time I would investigate rooms before I accept them.

• Stayed June 2005