“UPDATE FOR 2005”

Ranked #113 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Pasadena, California
“UPDATE FOR 2005”
Reviewed May 2, 2005

I've stayed here three times through Priceline. The first time I was given a huge room and beautifully appointed. Great bathroom with separate shower with six showerheads. The second time I was given something less than a maid's room. For a week's stay there wasn't even one drawer for clothes. Got changed to a slightly larger room that time. Apr 05 I was there for 5 nights and got a larger L shaped room in good shape. Inside room with no view, but that was all right as the outside toward the river was covered with scaffolding. Only problem with inside room was no cell reception. It was my 3rd hotel in London on this trip. I was shocked that they wanted $30 US for internet broadband wired access per day. I took my wireless laptop a block away to Starbucks since I have a Tmobile account. Had one dinner in and one breakfast in. Food was as good as it had been on my last trip. Staff was helpful. The maintenance was much better in the room this time. Fire alarm on the last night put everyone on the street at 1am for about a half hour while the fire department checked out the hotel. White terry robes and black shoes look goofy, moreso when a hundred people are so dressed.

Stayed April 2005
10 Thank puppysara811

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,259)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
scotland
Reviewed April 28, 2005

We stayed in a deluxe room with river view which was very nice. Location was exactly where we wanted to be with easy access to shops, attractions and theatre land. The only down side which seems to be a problem in London is the over the top pricing of food and drink and the attitude of the staff (particularly on reception). Overall i enjoyed this hotel and would return happily.

• Stayed February 2002
5 Thank Pete_Travelcare
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 18, 2005

We stayed at the RH March 30 thru April 6. We are a family of five, plus my parents flew in from NJ. We had two double/double connecting rooms with a pullout couch in each room. Although close in space, the rooms were big enough to navigate without running into each other. Maid service was inconspicous, we left every morning and came back in the afternoons to find all beds made and towels replenished. I know some claim the breakfast (included in our rate) is redundant but with three kids ten and under, it was perfect. They all loved the eggs, oatmeal, fruit, danishes and sausage. It was great for the adults not to have to decide where to eat each morning. We'd dress for the day, go to breakfast and leave for the day from the dining room. Tube really is ridiculously close walk and we used it everyday. Walked behind the hotel and over the footbridge on a beautiful, sunny day to London Eye in less than five minutes. Garden and walk along Thames behind hotel is lovely. Walked through Royal Horseguards everyday( and each time kids thrilled at horses and guards) to St. James' Park to feed the ducks with my girl's while my husband and son played footie with the friendly locals on the beautiful green grass--did this every day in the afternoon after sightseeing all morning.
The concierge is friendly and eager but not overly informed. When stayed at Savoy in June, concierge never consulted guidebooks to recommend restaurants--at RH both times we asked for suggestions kind concerige consulted the guidebook I already had!!! No harm, no foul but a little disappointing if you're looking to be confident in where they recommend you go.
Also, building across the street from hotel is boarded up and the area is very dark at night( do not know why hotel doesn't light it up)--not scary but just empty. The husband and I walked back late Wednesday night after National Gallery and pub food and saw no one on the dark, unlit block leading to our hotel. A little unnerving so took taxis in the evening if out after 10 PM.
All in all, the hotel is nice, the employees are friendly and helpful, rooms are clean and nicely appointed and the location really is fantastic. Very cool to hear the bells of Big Ben play at six in the evening. You won't go wrong at this hotel.

• Stayed April 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 9, 2005

I just finished a 7 night stay at the Horseguards while on business, and overall it was a very good experience. The location was teriffic - close to two tube stops and very near to Trafalger Square. It's also just a short walk to most of the major theatres in case you are interesting in attending those. The staff was very helpful and friendly - always taking time to answer my questions and help me when I needed advice. The included breakfast was also a plus - but it did get somewhat old by my 7th morning there because they never changed it up. The hallways somewhat crooked - but it added to the charm of this hotel and once I found my room the first night, I was good. I had a room with a view of the river, but the scaffolding was still up outside and I couldn't see anything. It didn't matter much though - I wasn't in the room that much. The only downside to the room is that the bed was terrible (others have posted differently - so I guess some rooms have newer ones). It was so uncomfortable that it hurt my back after sleeping on it for several days. This did not make for a comfortable flight back to the US. All in all, though, if you get a room with a good bed, this place is terrific.

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ontario
Reviewed April 7, 2005

stayed at the thistle charing cross last year. Enjoyed Horseguard more. we were in the same interior room that another writer had written of. no view but who cares just their to sleep. room was HUGE. 4 times larger than the charing crosses room. for 90 pounds a night it was a steal. as mentioned 9 air conditioners outside of the room could be loud in summer. room was only the executive room not the deluxe. the room is a little tired and dark but again it was HUGE. when we got home could sit us on the sofa and chair and watch tv from 20 feet away. the room was clean. smelled a little of cigarettes so I figured this was a converted smoking room to non. your in london you are going to smell like cigarettes anyways as everyone smokes. very quiet at night. slept well. no noise of garbage trucks which kept me awake at the charing cross. it is true you walk into the royal horseguard area and it is dead at night across from scotland yard. and when you leave you are 5 minutes from the bustle of the strand and 10 minutes from leicester square.

• Stayed April 2005
6 Thank finsterbaby
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed March 27, 2005

Stayed at the Royal Horseguards during mid to late Ferbruary. Two things that were really, really good were the bed and the shower water pressure. The bed was very comfortable and clean. My roomie is quite particular and she even liked the bed. As for the shower, it was so much water pressure that it hurt. That was awesome especially when trying to wake up in the morning. My only complaints are that the room looked into a stairwell and although we kept closing the curtains so that we did not have to look at it, the maid would open it every day when she cleaned. Also along these lines, the maids came in and cleaned our room even when we had the "do not disturb" light on. The room had a lot of nice pictures and furniture. There was some chipping paint and cracked marble in the bathroom but the hotel is quite old so these things were not that unexpected. The breakfast was included and it was good although it was the same every day. The chocolate croissants were very good but in limited supply so you have to get there early. The location was very good. We did not have a problem finding our way around. The staff was exceptionally helpful and very accomodating especially to the "more difficult" members of our party. But they usually stay at more expensive hotels while I am willing to stay any where as long as it is clean.

• Stayed February 2005
6 Thank srf3h
NYC
Reviewed March 23, 2005

Just finished a 5-night stay at the Royal Horseguards. Most of TripAdvisor's reviews for this hotel are accurate...or "spot on," if I'm trying to sound British ;-)

The location is excellent. Trafalgar Square is a five-minute walk. Embankment, a two-minute walk, half of which is covered, is the closest tube station and serves four lines. Charing Cross is about 3 minutes further, although its two lines also call on Embankment, so there's really no need to use Charing Cross, unless you require access to British Rail. From Victoria Station (Gatwick Express), the hotel is about 10 minutes by taxi, mostly because of all the traffic lights. Anyway, that works out to £6-£7, with tip.

Within hotel reach and reasonable walking distance are many restaurants and bars, and even though the hotel's immediate vicinity is dead at night, walk a couple blocks and it won't be. Villiers Street, the mostly pedestrian thoroughfare connecting Embankment and Charing Cross, has many nice coffee/sandwich/snack shops, which serve as a preferable alternative to the Royal Horseguard's slightly pricey and slightly uninspiring menu.

However for London, this is an exceptional property. Even by US standards, this hotel compares favorably. My room, a typical double, was a little smaller than a standard US hotel room, but lacked none of the appointments I had expected from reading this board: heated towel rack; marble bathroom (counters, not floors); in-room safe; mini-bar; good shower; hairdryer (two, in fact); good lighting. In that regard, it surpasses your standard Hilton or Sheraton. Btw, I read several times that I shouldn't accept the first (or even second) room I was offered, but I was quite happy with the first one I was shown.

I do have a couple complaints. While high-speed internet access is available in all rooms, you'll pay dearly for it: £15/night. Also, mobile phone strength is very poor in the hotel. I can only speak for my provider, Orange Mobile -- perhaps service is better with other carriers -- but the signal was non-existent in the hotel's lobby and other public areas. Fortunately, my room was on the highest (9th) floor, which afforded me consistently 2 to 3 bars of reception. On the middle or lower floors, however, I don't know.

In all, the Royal Horseguards is a great hotel, and while it won't be mistaken for The Lanesborough, for London it deserves 5 stars. I will be back!

19 Thank Mandarin