“Great location”

The Royal Horseguards
Ranked #123 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed August 10, 2014

This was 'many happy returns' to The Horseguards this time to celebrate my birthday. When we booked I requested a river view which was duly granted. We stayed on the 8th floor with a fabulous view of the London Eye, Shard and many other landmarks. Again we found the the staff to be very attentive and very polite. With the great spell of warm weather we are experiencing we were lucky enough to have breakfast on the terrace. This will certainly NOT be the last time we visit. Thanks to all the staff for making it a lovely birthday break.

Room Tip: Try and get a higher floor, river facing room, stunning views !!
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Trevor B
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2014

Dear Trevor B,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit to the hotel; London is a fantastic city to celebrate your birthday and I am very pleased we were able to ensure you had a wonderful time. We enjoy nothing more than celebrating with our guests and do our best to accommodate all requests the best we can. I truly hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future, please be assured I have passed your kind comments onto the rest of the team.

Riddian Davies, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,914)

Reviewed August 9, 2014

first time to London England... picked royal horse guards because of other customer reviews and the location to sites.. The service was prompt courteous and super friendly especially since were americans lol. we loved our stay at hotel walking distance from Victoria station. down the street from big ben, abbey. going the opposite direction Buckingham palace st. james park, going a different direction convent gardens. a couple blocks away is the boats to ride the thames river its like 16pds round trip. we stayed three nights and took a charter bus to stone hedge then they took us to the port at Southampton where we boarded a ship for 12 nights. people around the city where very nice to us..We ate at the white lion pub delish fish and chips not greasy or fishy, then we ate at the red lion ale and pie sample, which where three different ales dark med light and the pies where steak pie chicken pie and veg pie. the pubs where 17th century. so cool. because the dollar is not worth that much to the pound it was a little pricey but how many times will I travel to London. we paid 250 a night usd so its like 500pds night. they serve a buffet English breakfast 12.pds a person delish. happy travels

Room Tip: we wanted a room overlookimg the thames but we checked in to early, we would have had to wait an hou...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tazzzella
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2014

Dear tazzzella,

Thank you for your kind review regarding your recent visit to the hotel this summer and thank you for choosing to spend your first experience in London with us, what an honour! We are truly in a desirable part of London surrounded by a fantastic, interesting history. We are in walking distance with a majority of popular theatres, tourist attractions and shops, all which are a convenience for guests looking to explore the city! It sounds like you had an exciting time here and I am very appreciative of your feedback, please be assured I have shared this with the team. I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future!

Reviewed August 9, 2014

A lovely evening out with old!! friend. The hotel provided for all our needs. Chilling out with a glass of wine watching the TV lying in the bath was a good start to the night out. Loads of restaurants in area allowed us to start late and not need to rush to hotel for meal. Friendly staff made the experience pleasant and easy going. Good preparation for the march to support the Palestinians the following day.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear annieandpetestravels,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at the hotel. I am truly pleased by your kind comments and would like to assure you I have shared these with the team. The ability to watch TV whilst in the bath relaxing is a popular amenity within our rooms and is one to be taken advantage of! Our Concierge team are constantly reviewing local events and preparing any necessary special requirements to ensure ease of service. Thank you once again for sharing your time with us, we hope we are able to welcome you back to the hotel the next time you are visiting London!

Reviewed August 8, 2014

We enquired before leaving home about the check in time, we were told from 2 but to be guaranteed a room to be ready come after 3. We arrived at 3:30 and were told that there were no rooms ready, would we mind waiting in the lounge, no offer of a drink or anything, sat and waited after 20 mins we had to go and ask only to be told ' oh yes your room is ready!'
We were shown to the smallest double room I have ever been in, it was clean and had all we required, the bathroom was also clean but no bath! I love a bath!!! But there was a TV in the shower(why?).
Breakfast in the morning was ok, had to ask for more bowls and for the pastries to be replaced and also for them to take our dirty dishes away, which were piling up. Not what I would expect from a 3 star hotel let alone this one.
We stayed as a group of 5 booked rooms for the same price, the others all had king or bigger rooms!
Nice for one night but not very luxurious.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
RHG_London, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2014

Dear Lulabelle C,

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to the hotel earlier this summer. I am sorry to read of your disappointment and would like to assure you we take all comments into great consideration. I will ensure that my Senior Team apply your experience to further training of the team to ensure no further dissatisfaction is caused. May I also kindly assure you that we are currently reviewing the room and bed sizes and will enhance beds to the best of our ability. Feedback such as yours is truly valuable to the team and I as it is the needs and opinions of our guests that we strive to fulfil. I hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future to showcase our true potential. Please do not hesitate to contact the team directly for any assistance you may require, we would be more than happy to help.

Reviewed August 8, 2014

After the first night at the Malmaison we moved to the Royal Horseguards and it was a breath of fresh air.

The room was very large and had an understated elegance that was apparent throughout the entire hotel. It is in the perfect location for central London tourist attractions. It was less than a block to the Tube, a couple of blocks to Trafalgar Square and a couple of blocks to the Horseguards Parade and another block, or so, to Big Ben.

We were in room 611. It looks out on a large square airshaft (maybe 12’ on a side), so there is no view. The airshaft was covered with a net about two floors above our room. There were two dead pigeons in various stages of decomposition on top of the net. That was one of the few negatives in my stay.

While the staff was very friendly, there were some let downs. There were no instructions in our room for the TV screen over the bath tub or for the iPod docking station. I asked for one at the front desk and, though promised, it never did arrive. The air conditioner worked great; I found the bed and pillows very comfortable; and there was always a taxi waiting in front. The bathroom was clean and had a reasonable assortment of amenities. There was a shelf over the sink, so plenty of room for one’s toiletries. The only thing missing was a dedicated shower stall. There were face cloths and all of the towels were large and very heavy. The heated floor in the bathroom was an unexpected surprise.

The dining room was very nice and bright with white tablecloths throughout. There was a great selection of newspapers if one arrived early (none were delivered to the room, or at least offered to be delivered to my room). The wait staff at breakfast was so-so. The bulk of the breakfast offered was on the buffet and it was mostly just the various components of an English breakfast. A small continental breakfast was offered but, as a full breakfast was included in the room rate, I never tried it. If you pay for the breakfast separately it’s about US$54 and probably worth about one-quarter of that. The breakfast menu, among other things, had two Eggs Benedict and two Eggs Florentine. They were almost always served with hard yolks. One morning I ordered one Benedict and one Florentine thinking I’d get one egg each on a single plate but instead got two plates with two eggs each!

The bottom line for me is that if you’re looking for a London hotel in this price range it would be hard to do much better than the Royal Horseguards.

Thank you for reading. If you’ve found this review useful I will appreciate a Yes vote below.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank dskid
Reviewed August 7, 2014

This was my second stay at the Royal Horseguards this year. Selected an Executive Double this time and was pleasantly surprised by the size of the room. Location in London cannot be beat, as the RH is in the middle of everything. Loved doing the London Eye at night and seeing my hotel right under me! Camilo Molins in the front desk was excellent as usual! Will definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

Dear fkmanrique4,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at the hotel, we very much enjoy welcoming back familiar faces and would like to thank you for choosing to spend a second occasion with us. The hotel is in an extremely desirable part of London, being so close to some great shops, theatres and attractions. I must agree the London Eye lit up at night is one sight not to be missed and a true delight to witness. Please be assured I have passed your kind praise onto the team, especially Camilo, who is a true asset to the team. We hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel for a third time in the near future!

Reviewed August 5, 2014

This is the 3rd stay and cannot really fault this hotel. Rooms are lovely, but I do recommend upgrading it is london and space is a premium. Reception is very impressive and service is generally always good.
Rooms have what you would expect, ipod players heated floors etc

Did have one issue on the last visit in the bar where service was incredibly poor, if I am paying £15 for one drink I do not expect to go to the bar and get it myself! It was not even busy..... The day after however they did redeem themselves so it was clearly just one member of staff that needs a different career!

I would also recommend the afternoon tea as this is lovely!

Location cannot be faulted as it's generally the area I want to be in to be able to get to the main attractions and bars on an evening.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Archer405,

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to the hotel late last year. We take all comments into great consideration and please be assured it is very important for us to listen to the needs and opinions of all of our guests. December is a wonderful time of the year to explore London with all the holiday celebrations and decorations that are about. Our location is in an extremely desirable part of London as we are so close to some of London’s top attractions, shops, theatres and restaurants. I would like to assure you that I have shared your feedback with the team; we all hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.