“Great place, poor rooms, terrible service”

The Royal Horseguards
Ranked #99 of 1,089 Hotels in London
“Great place, poor rooms, terrible service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

While the lobby, bar and restaurant all have that chic London feel, the rooms most certainly don't - pokey, dark, and small beds.

However the bigger challenge is the service. All very nice and welcoming, just not very competent. Initially I was given a twin instead of the double I booked, then they rectified that by putting me into a room that barely had room for the double but literally no natural light, then they failed to honour the late checkout they promised, I couldn't raise anyone on the phone to help with the heavy bags (that have to be carried down a flight of stairs), and they completely forgot to book my car to the airport meaning it was all a last minute panic. Hardly what you expect from a 5 star hotel experience.

However you can't beat the location and it's pretty reasonable value, just a shame they can't get the basics right

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank Colin L
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to The Royal Horseguards Hotel. I am very sorry to read of your experience with us, this is by no means the usual standard of service our team deliver. Please be assured I have taken your comments into great consideration and reviewed your feedback with the relevant Managers. We will be applying this experience to team training to ensure any further disappointment is avoided. I would hope that your experience with us will not dampen any decision to visit us in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact the hotel with any future enquires that you may have, we hope we are able to welcome you back very soon to showcase our true potential.

Riddian Davies

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,219)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cambridge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for my husband's birthday and thoroughly enjoyed our stay! We had afternoon high tea on arrival which was splendid! All we could eat dainty finger sandwiches, cream scones and beautiful handcrafted bite size creations. The tea served in silver teapots was poured for us by the very attentive waiting staff.
The rooms were lovely, the receptionist was happy to move us to a room with a bath at my request. Lovely soft bathrobes, slippers and luxury toiletries.
They had even put a slate decorated with a happy birthday message and mini cakes in the room.
One of the many lovely touches we will remember was the receptionist who as it was raining on our departure gave us a lovely black Royal Horseguards umbrella to take away with us.
We would happily return any time to this superb 5* hotel.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ambivolence
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at The Royal Horseguards Hotel late last year. Thank you for choosing to spend such a wonderful occasion with us, we enjoy nothing more than celebrating these special times with our guests! I am thrilled to read you both enjoyed your time with us, we have an exceptional team here at the hotel, I am very proud of them all. Our aim is to ensure all guests’ needs are met to the smallest detail and to go the extra mile. Please be assured I have passed your kind comments onto the team; we do hope we are able to welcome you both back to the hotel in the near future!

Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

We have stayed in a number of luxury hotels including those frequented by royalty and entertainment stars. All have had luxury physical accommodations, but none have had service as attentive, friendly, welcoming and relaxed. We were put at ease at once. This was true from the front desk all the way to housekeeping. We only had four nights but would have liked to have stayed longer.

Lee T

Room Tip: We had a deluxe double room overlooking the Thames with breakfast. The breakfast was excellent. I wo...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paula T
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to The Royal Horseguards Hotel. I am so pleased to read of your experience with us and I am thrilled by your kind words. I am extremely proud of the team and would like to assure you I have passed on your praise to them. We hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel next time you are in London!

Midhurst, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

We have stayed at The Royal Horseguards at least 6 times,twice this year and every year for past possibly 4 years, staying in room 712 every time,a lovely spacious room in good condition. However , after making our reservation we were telephoned the following day to be told we couldn't have room 712 but would be given a better room still with a view of the river. On arrival we were told we had been given a complimentary upgrade to an executive suite room 839. Room 839 is certainly no upgrade, it was a much smaller room, the bathroom window sill flooded when you showered, paint was peeling off all around the window, you could hardly shower without getting water everywhere. Yes we did have a view if the river, which was nice. It felt like we had been put up in the attic. This was not a better room as we had been told we would have and definitely not an upgrade. This is what disappoints us, but what makes me cross is being told it's an upgrade, we are not stupid, it is a lovely hotel and in a good location, maybe it's time for a change.

Room Tip: 712 good view, nice size, light and spacious
3 Thank patcastleman
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to The Royal Horseguards Hotel. I would like to sincerely apologise for the disappointment you faced when with us. Unfortunately due to the architecture of the building some rooms are smaller than others, however they are still considered to be an Executive room category. Please be assured I have reviewed your feedback with our Front of House team to ensure any further disappointment is avoided. Our Maintenance team have launched an investigation into the issues you have raised regarding the room you were allocated to and will be amending items immediately. We hope that your recent visit does not dampen any further decision to visit us in the future, please do not hesitate to contact the hotel with any queries you may have.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

I stayed with my girlfriend three days at the end of May / beginning June for leisure.
The Hotel is very well located and the personnel gentle and friendly.
The bedroom was spacious & with a good view over the park in front the Thames and the London Eye.
Good service in problem solving.
I would definitely highly recommend your stay there.
I will do it for sure next time again.
A.G.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. Thank you for your kind words regarding the hotel, location and team. We certainly are in a wonderful location with some honourable neighbours. I am pleased to read of your satisfaction with us, please be assured I have shared your feedback with the team. We do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

I can't recommend this hotel highly enough. Stayed here for the first time at the weekend and my husband and I were bowled over by the wonderful character of the building, the beautiful decor, the fantastic location and the excellent staff. Only a few minutes walk from the river and a short stroll from all the attractions of Trafalgar Square, National Gallery and Covent Garden, this hotel is perfectly placed for seeing some of London's most famous attractions on foot. After a day's exploring, we enjoyed a pre-dinner drink on the hotel's comfortable and private terrace before a wonderful meal in the One Twenty One Two restaurant - can thoroughly recommend the food. We stayed in the Tower Suite. What a treat! A spiral staircase leads up from the bedroom (with the biggest and most comfortable bed I have slept in) and bathroom to a spectacular circular sitting room with amazing 180 degree views of the river, London Eye and South Bank. Throughout our stay, the staff were friendly, helpful and attentive without being intrusive. We ended our stay with afternoon tea in the lounge with a harp playing in the background which was a perfect end to a perfect stay. Oh, and the breakfast display and selection of food was second to none. Can't wait for an excuse to go and stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask if the room is at the front of the hotel overlooking the river Thames
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to The Royal Horseguards Hotel. I am very touched by your kind words and would like to thank you for sharing your experience. The Tower Suite is a very special place, with excellent views of London especially at night. I am extremely proud of the hotel and its fantastic location; we share some wonderful heritage with our neighbours. We do have a talented team at the hotel and especially in our One Twenty One Two Restaurant. All team members will go above and beyond to ensure all guests receive a 5 star service when staying with us. I would like to assure you I have passed your feedback onto the team; they would also like to thank you for your kind praise. We hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the very near future. Please do not hesitate to contact the hotel with any assistance you may need, we would be more than happy to help.

Bracknell, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

We stayed here in March as part of a theatre break and I must stay it was a wonderfully well appointed and luxurious hotel very close to the theatre district and the riverside and Waterloo station. The staff were courteous and helpful. All major London attractions are at your doorstep and we really enjoyed our short break. The English breakfast was sumptuous.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at The Royal Horseguards Hotel earlier this year. I am so pleased to read how much you enjoyed your time in London. We are in a fantastic location, surrounded by wonderful neighbours. We are also very close to some of London’s top attractions and some very helpful transport links. Our breakfast is one not to be missed, thank you for your praise. Please be assured I have shared your feedback with the team, we all hope we are able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.