“Improving”

The Royal Horseguards
Ranked #114 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed March 19, 2014

How do evaluate a 5* hotel - well there are two clear criteria, facilities including the look and service. 5* star hotels come in all shapes and sizes but terms such as elegance, refinement, style, glamour, luxury, opulence, splendour you would expect to crop up in a review. The last time I stayed at this hotel which some time ago the GM described it as homely which is more apt for a B&B. There is definitely a different feel when you enter the hotel now. 5* is about detail and finishing touches. The flowers no longer look like they were bought at a supermarket. The arrangements are not showy but have an understated elegance. In fact there is a feel of refinement everywhere you look. Rich fabrics like velvet and leather give a country house feel. A small note but if you are going to have a doorman he should not make guest appearances but should be always there especially for a 5* hotel. The staff are courteous, polite, efficient and I can find no fault. and so on to the rooms. If I say magnolia it says it all. I would expect heritage colours and the curtains and bed throw to be made of quality fabrics. Everything is a little tired. The windows were so dirty I couldn't see out of them. And yet there was a balcony that you could step out onto to clean them. The desk chair was essentially a dining chair and the padding in the seat had disappeared to I don't know where. The integrated lighting system is complicated and drove me to distraction. When I contacted reception and asked for a desk lamp to operate independently I was advised this was not possible. Twice I contacted reception for different reasons and the person who answered was giggling and made no apology for doing so. Breakfast is a delight, attentive staff and delicious food - a great start to the day. Room service is however disappointing and I have had better food at some of the other thistle or guoman hotels. So there was a lot that was good about my stay but there needs to be more attention to detail.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank heatherCoventry
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to The Royal Horseguards Hotel. Your feedback is truly valuable to the hotel and the team as it is our guests’ needs and opinions that are our highest priority. Please be assured I have shared your comments with the team and we will be reviewing each detail with the current design refurbishment we are undergoing. I hope we are able to welcome you back to The Royal Horseguards Hotel to showcase what we really are capable of in the near future.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

Stayed here in room 658 for 3 nights , the hotel is fabulous & quiet, staff are really friendly , underfloor heating and TV in the bathroom , we ate in the 'one twenty one two ' Resteraunt and the food and staff was fantastic , the only thing I'd say was the view from our room was of other peoples windows! All in all it's a YES from me .:)

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ahearne

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to The Royal Horseguards Hotel. I am so pleased to read of your experience with us and please be assured I have passed your comments onto our wonderful team! I am also very pleased you enjoyed your dining experience with us; we have some rather talented Chefs! I am sorry your view was not as scenic, you will have to definitely have a river view next time you visit, which I hope is very soon!

Reviewed March 18, 2014

Stayed here recently for three nights during a business trip. While I did not spend too much time in the hotel during my trip (as I was working), for the time I was present…

The staff were very friendly, accommodating and efficient.
The room was well designed, comfortable, and always taken care of (housekeeping did a wonderful job).
Room service was very good, and consistently right on time (ordered room service three times over 3 days – twice for breakfast and once for dinner). Albeit, breakfast room service at 22 GBP seems a bit pricey (but so does everything in London).
Hotel restaurant is outstanding, and highly recommended.
Location - Although I did not have much time to sight see, the location of the hotel is outstanding, as it is within walking distance of many of the most popular sites of London.

Overall, Id rate this hotel as excellent.

Room Tip: Spurge and get a room with a view of the river.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank akdaley2003
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to The Royal Horseguards Hotel whilst on a business trip to London! I am so pleased to read of your experience with us (although working for most of it). I am glad that our team were able to ensure your stay was relaxing and comfortable, our guests’ needs are extremely important to us. Please be assured I have shared your kind comments with the team, they would like to also thank you for your praise. We hope we are able to welcome you back to the hotel very soon either for business or leisure!

Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

A good hotel in a good location .
Very quiet for a Central London hotel .
Just a couple of things missing that you would certainly expect from a 5 star hotel .
Wardrobe . No hanging space nothing bigger than a child's t shirt
No overhead shower only hand held .
No interactive tv or movies .
Old and tired furniture in the bedrooms .
But the lobby & lounge very impressive and staff were friendly .
Was fine for my 1 night leisure stay but not for a longer business stay !

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KentCookingmama
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. We are extremely proud to be in the location that we are – our neighbours are quite impressive! However, I am sorry to hear your views regarding the room you were allocated and I would like to personally assure you we take all guest feedback into serious consideration. I will also review your comments with the relevant departments as we are currently undergoing a design refurbishment. Please be assured I have also passed on your feedback to the staff and we all hope we are able to welcome you back in the near future!

Reviewed March 18, 2014

I had an amazing experience in this Hotel. Staff were first class, receptionists especially efficient. Food was exceptional, from breakfast to dinner. The bed was large and comfortable. All round, a a dreamy hotel and very highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to The Royal Horseguards Hotel earlier this year. I am very proud of the team at the hotel and please be assured I have passed your comments onto the Reception team and Front of House Manager. I am so pleased to also read you enjoyed your dining experience with us and was pleased with the room allocated to you. We do all hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future!

Reviewed March 17, 2014

We have stayed at this hotel many times but not for a few years. We weren't disappointed. We had a beautiful river view room so had a clear view of the Thames and the London Eye, not a sight to be missed.
Hotel room was lovely and spacious with a well appointed bathroom.
The only noise we could hear was from the street was the emergency service sirens were to be expected since we were so close to St Thomas' hospital.
Staff were very efficient and friendly, great idea to have a concierge to greet you back into the hotel. Breakfast in the dining room had an excellent choice of hot food which was regularly topped up.
Hotel is extremely close to embankment underground station and within walking distance of many tourist attractions including Trafalgar Square, Horseguards Parade, Westminster Abbey, The Mall and Buckingham Palace to name but a few.

Room Tip: If you don't want to hear sirens it may be better to ask for an inside room at the hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to The Royal Horseguards Hotel. I am so pleased to read you are a returning guest; we very much enjoy welcoming back familiar faces. I am glad to read you were comfortable in your room, please note we are reviewing sound proofing the rooms in for future refurbishment this year. Our breakfast choice is rather delicious; the Food & Beverage team are rather talented! Thank you for your warm words and please be assured I have shared your comments with the team. All guest feedback is truly valuable to us and would like to once again thank you. We hope we are able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future!

Reviewed March 17, 2014

I have just spent last weekend in this hotel and I'm happy to share with you this experience. This hotel is beautifully located in the heart of London. The London eye, Big BEN, Westminster abbey, the House of Parliament are just few minutes from the hotel.
The hotel has all the facilities to accommodate all type of customers, luxury, but homely, nice furniture and taste when decorating the rooms, modern facilities as: free WI-FI, IPAD, TV in the bathroom, all this small touches that makes you feel very special.
From the entrance of the hotel you can feel the friendly atmosphere. This is not only for the customers, the atmosphere is nice and friendly between the employees as well.
The hotel receptionists were all very friendly and trying to accommodate you from the 1st minute you have stepped into the hotel.
I've travelled quite a lot in last 7-10 years and I have not seen very often in Europe, the hotel receptions taking you to the room and presenting the room.
The breakfast and dinner is fist class. No matter what you choose for your afternoon or evening : the bar, the lounge and afternoon tea accompanied by a good classical music or taking the dinner in the restaurant, terrace or in your room, it's 1st class.

This is what it makes this hotel unique comparing with other similar hotels..

Room Tip: I had an executive room, on the 2nd floor, facing Whitehall Court or Whitehall place street, not sur...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent visit to The Royal Horseguards Hotel. We are in an extremely lovely location and very proud to be amongst the neighbours that we are. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the room amenities, we make sure every detail is well looked after and that the guests needs are accommodated to ensure your stay is special and memorable. We have a very special team at The Royal Horseguards Hotel and I am very pleased to say that I have shared your wonderful comments with them; they would like to thank you for your praise. I have also passed your kind feedback onto the Food and Beverage team, who would also like to thank you. It is our aim as a hotel to be unique and be the future 5 star experience. We hope we are able to welcome you back very soon!