“Thanks to whoever saved our vacation”

The Royal Horseguards
Ranked #114 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 14, 2013

They saved the review of this hotel and perhaps colored our view for this visit to London in a positive light. This is a beautiful old hotel in a great location for seeing all the sights of London. For the first time ever we didn't get on the tube till our last full day there. But let me just say if they try to give you room 111 - run the other way. They took us to this room and we felt like we had been swallowed up in dank and darkness. This room has no natural light and feels very cold and unwelcoming. We were spending 5 nights in this hotel and we could not imagine spending one night. I called reception and eventually after many 'there is nothing we can do", they called us back and said they had a room on the 6th floor. What a total 180 literally - room 661 was lovely looking out over the street in a quiet corner of the hotel. The bell staff, cleaning, servers nd obviously whoever saved us from that horrible room were top notch. The room has modern amenities, a beautiful walk-in shower with TV, heated bathroom floor, speakers throughtout the room including the headboards and bath. We had a wonderful time.

Room Tip: Just avoid 111.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dhill100
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

I am delighted that you had a great stay with us and found the team friendly and helpful during your time with us.

However in regards to your comments about room 111 this is one of our standard Double rooms and they are all internal rooms , we take feedback from our guests to heart and I have ensured that your comments have been passed onto our Management to take the necessary action. But I can say that we are working on the problem of light in these rooms.

We hope you will choose to return to us again in the future as we would love to be able to welcome you back

Kind regards
Dena parker
Night Manager

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stayed at the hotel this weekend. Top class - Loved it.
Room large. Air conditioning very powerful. Great views from room of River Thames and London Eye.
Location to Embankment tube station is just seconds away. Staff could not have been more helpful.
Breakfast was exceptional. Wide choice of food - excellent quality.
Will definitely return again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that you will stay with us when you next visit London. I will ensure that your kind comments regarding the staff are passed on to each department. We are indeed located in a fabulous location and are lucky enough to have most of London on our doorstep.
We are already looking forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Kind regards,
Dena Parker
Night manager

Reviewed October 14, 2013

This hotel is located just 2 minutes from Trafalgar Square, near the Embankment subway station, just opposite from the London Eye and few minutes far from the Parliament and Westminster Abbey by foot so the location is really central and very convenient. I booked a double room and was given a room with a really tiny queen size bed. I went down to reception immediately and compained. They told me this is supposed to be a standard in the UK which I do not believe. Then I was finally given a proper room with a king size bed. The only downside was that the windows were so thin on the 8th floor that the room was constantly freezing cold. I had to decide between the noise from the heating and coldness. So at night I did not use the heating system and tried not to leave bed at all and be properly dressed. The lights and their operation is another chapter. It is a very complicated system and I only managed to operate it via trial and error. I never really found out how it works properly. The service at the bar was lousy, actually there were no service at all. The decoration of the hotel is old classical palace style and I do not prefer this style so it was very depressive for me. Everything so dark and old fashioned. I was staying there during the conference so it was convenient for me to go to the conference centre just adjacent to the hotel premisses. But I would never stay here again if I were on a private trip to London.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Jana A
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking your time and giving us your feedback regarding your recent experience at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. Feedback such as is crucial for us and of the highest importance in order to improve the level of service that we provide.

I have taken a keen interest in your comments relating to your stay. I was most disappointed to hear about your uncomfortable experience in the room, the bar and even more so with the fact that you had found our hotel is old classical style.

With regard to your room I have passed over your comments to our Maintenance Manager where he has taken note of all the issues and has passed over his apologise to you.

I was disappointed to hear that you did not find any service at our bar, where this has been noted very strongly and our Food & Beverage Manager has gone through a retraining on their service skills.

It was sad to hear that you did find our hotel old fashioned and also depressive for you we take utmost pride in our location and our gorgeous, over a hundred year old building which is now listed as a landmark of architectural interest. The style of the building was inspired by French Chateau's, there for we have to match our interior design and style were we do get lots of great feed back from our guest, sorry that you did not find it to your taste..

Please let me know if you should decide to stay with us again and I will personally take care of the room allocation for you. Please feel free to contact me directly and I hope that I will be afforded the pleasure of welcoming you back here at the hotel.

With best regards,

Shane Van Sanden

Reviewed October 13, 2013

We visited the above restaurant on the 12th October 2013 and had the 6 course tasting menu which was absolutely excellent. The food, wine and staff made our visit a real pleasure. We hope to see you again soon.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Susangoodwin
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Thankyou for a wonderful feed back on your recent visit to our 1212 restaurant. Its our priority to ensure that all our guests are looked after. We look forwards to wecoming you back at The Royal Horseguards 1212 restaurant
MIchael Masaba

Reviewed October 12, 2013

I stayed at the RHG again recently and I have stayed here a few times previously. The hotel is well located an ideal for those on business and visiting the city.

I was placed in a slightly larger room than previously which is always nice and upon initial observation all appeared to be in order.

However, everything was acceptable except for the lack of iron and board which was resolved swiftly when I mentioned it. The bed needs a better topper as this was not overly comfortable but that was my own preference. Also the pictures in the room were personally off putting, I mean the two portraits. One was such that the character appeared to be staring at me in bed, making me feel uncomfortable and I covered it with a towel. A bit odd in know but worthy of note I feel.
In contrast the internet was the fastest I have experienced in any hotel and that made up for everything. The staff were efficient and helpful. The value is usual London prices but breakfast was not included which at over £250+ for a night mid week was a tad harsh.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2013

Thankyou for taking time to write a review following your recent stay with us at The Royal Horseguards Hotel and the good comments. Accept my apologies for the pictures on the wall that you disliked. i will ensure that the kind comments regarding staff are passed on to each department
Michael Masaba

Reviewed October 11, 2013

We are frequent visitors to London but this was our first stay at the Royal Horseguards, be assured we will be returning. The location is fantastic just behind Trafalgar Square and in front of the Embankment, the whole area is steeped in history, from Scotland Yard across to the Mall, Downing Street etc.

The hotel itself is pure class from the moment you arrive and are greeted by the lovely concierge. The rooms are fantastic as we were lucky to have booked an executive king with a view over looking the the Thames and directly opposite the London Eye, superb at night when lit up. I can honestly say that this was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in.

As it was my birthday my partner had arranged for a bottle of champagne to be delivered upon check in, imagine how pleasantly surprised we were when this was delivered along with a complimentary birthday cake which was scrummy.

Would also recommend you visit their Equus Bar for cocktails and here's a little tip for you........if you get asked at check in to complete a questionnaire on their new IPAD service, DO IT!. You can then hand this in at the Equus Bar and receive a complimentary drink of your choice for both of.............more lovely champagne!!

Would highly recommend this and will be back soon.

Room Tip: Worth the upgrade to have rooms from floor 6 upwards facing the river.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SiandMike
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2013

Thankyou very much for such a great feedback regarding your stay at THe Royal Horseguards Hotel. Like you said our location is just incredible and we are extremely fortunate to be based so cenrally. I will ensure your kind comments regarding the staff are passed on to each department.
We hope we shall be welocoming you back to The Royal Horseguards Hotel in the near future
Michael Masaba

Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stayed 4 nights at the Royal Horseguards in London in Sept. 2013 and it was just wonderful. This is a first class hotel with a first class staff. The rooms were very comfortable and larger than I expected & very clean. We had a balcony, which we could not open the doors, but had a beautiful view of the Thames River and the London Eye. Every member of the staff that we spoke with was extremely courteous, polite & made us feel as if we were the only guests. The concierges were very helpful to us every day in answering questions for us on where and how to get to certain places & making phone calls for us to confirm our tours. This was THE nicest hotel we've every stayed in and we would stay there again and recommend it to all.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ruthie W
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Thankyou very much for your wonderful comments following your recent stay with us. Like you said our location is just incredible. Its our priority to ensure that all our guests have an enjoyable and pleasant stay.at all times.
I hope we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back at The Royal Horseguards Hotel in the near future.
MIchael Masaba