The Royal Horseguards
  • Pool
The Savoy(London)
  • Pool
4,974 results
All reviewslondon eyeembankment tube stationtrafalgar squareriver viewroyal horse guardsequus barheated floorsdowning streetbig benafternoon teaheated towel rackunderfloor heatingbeautiful hotelcharing crossstar hotelcovent gardenturn down service
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I stayed here for one night a few days ago. The public areas are sumptuous and welcoming (the live harp music being a pleasant touch) and my room was a good size with a bed that was refreshingly firm. Unfortunately, things were let down by an accumulation of small (and otherwise) details.

Despite being advertised, there was no ironing board, iron, or bathrobe in the room (and my request for the last was met with "I'll see what I can do" from the receptionist, which turned out to be nothing).

The kettle was broken, having a defective on/off switch.

The free wifi internet access was not working for part of my stay.

The room lighting controls were ridiculously non-intuitive: small panels of four push buttons with no labelling at all. I eventually found a set of instructions, buried on a single sheet in with the stationery. Why wasn't this more prominently displayed or drawn to my attention when I checked in?

Though the TV was a decently sized widescreen model, the presentation of the channels was dreadful: a limited number all with their picture cropped to 4:3, a rapidly-scrolling channel display which could not be halted and therefore was useless for making a selection, no EPG, and - crucially for someone with hearing loss - no provision for displaying subtitles on the majority of channels.

A hotel of this supposed class should provide excellence in all its aspects, not simply some of them. It was a disappointing stay.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Bert-Coules
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us at The Royal Horseguards Hotel.

I was pleased to hear that you found our public areas very welcoming and enjoyed the harpist playing in the lounge area.

I was disappointed to read your comments regarding the small details that you found during your stay and can assure you that these are in no way indicative of our high standards.

I have made sure that all the Heads of Department to who your comments relate have been made aware of these and can assure you that your feedback will be used to put in resolve these issues to ensure that these are not repeated.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future and should you decide to return to us, please feel free to contact the Guest Relations Team who will be more than happy to personally oversee your reservation.

Kind Regards

Toby Phillips
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed September 30, 2013

A trip to London shopping was made absolutely perfect with a most enjoyable stay at the Horsegaurds, a beautiful room overlooking the Thames ( did pay for the upgrade ) peaceful and convenient setting with great access to tube links or a short walk away from many major attractions.

Room Tip: Whoops clicked on pool ! not sure if they have one :-)
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Thank you very much for such a great feedback regarding your recent stay at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. I was delighted to see that you have really enjoyed staying with us. It is our priority to ensure that all our guests have an enjoyable and pleasant stay at all times so it is lovely to hear such great comments
I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back at The Royal Horseguards Hotel in the near future.

Kind regards,
Dena Parker
Night Manager

Reviewed September 29, 2013

We spent just one night at this hotel when we enjoyed a theatre trip to see The Mousetrap.
The hotel was very welcoming and within easy walking distance of Westminster Abbey/LondonEye/Covent Garden etc.
As we were early to arrive hence our room was not available so we took tea in the lounge which was very comfortable with good old English charm. We then took the opportunity to do some shopping. When we eventually got into our room later that day, we were very disappointed at the size - it was very small with just a standard (small) sized double bed - which is very unusual these days and certainly unexpected in a hotel do this calibre and location. However we did get a good sleep as the bed, although small, was very comfy
The bathroom was very nice, with large shower complete with TV. High end toiletries and plenty of clean soft towels. A very good, powerful hair dyer for the ladies. However, as with a lot of hotels, the lighting for ladies to put their make up on was not very good, but this seems to be a common problem in all hotels, in my opinion
Breakfast was buffet style, which I am not a lover of, but is something which is now expected, but the food was very good and hot. Staff were very attentive
All in all an enjoyable stay, and although we only booked a standard exec room, I still feel the rooms were very small. I would probably look at other hotels before rebooking here but only because of the size of the rooms.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Good hotel in a very good location - very convenient for all the tourist sights of London. Attractive dining terrace with view of the Thames. Rooms pretty much standard 4 star but fine. Breakfast a little disappointing in both choice and quality but overall a decent place to stay for a night or two.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2013

Thank you for your wonderful comments following your recent stay with us! Like you said our location is just incredible and we are extremely fortunate to be based so centrally. I will pass on your comments to the executive chef regarding breakfast and the head housekeeper regarding the room
Thank you for sharing your experience and I hope I will we will be able to welcome you back to The Royal Horseguards Hotel in the near future.

Kind regards,
Dena Parker
Night Manager

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Each year I choose a different hotel in London for afternoon tea which is listed in the London Tea Guild Awards. This year I chose the Royal Horseguards on the Embankment. The menu choices and food were comparable to other hotels, such as the Ritz and the Dorchester, but the setting was quieter and more relaxing. Despite set serving times we did not feel rushed in any way as we did at Brown's where people were queuing at the door for a table. It also offers a patio area for eating but it was raining the day we went. In addition the staff were efficient without encroaching on our space and time. I highly recommend this hotel for afternoon tea.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends