“Truly decadent in a fantastic location.”

The Royal Horseguards
Ranked #108 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Stevenage, United Kingdom
“Truly decadent in a fantastic location.”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed here on the recommendation of a friend for a function in January. The service was excellent. Booked a double room & found it to be more than your average double room. Views over the Thames at night towards The London Eye, County Hall & The Royal Festval Hall were great. Recommend dinner at Skylon. Linens & toiletries of a superior quality. Staff could not be for helpful. Would thoroughly recommend the hotel. We'll definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
I am delighted to read this fantastic review regarding your stay with us at The Royal Horseguards Hotel for your function in January. I know that the entire team will be so proud to hear that the service they provided was most appreciated.
I agree that the views from the river view rooms are spectacular especially at night when London lights up.
We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit London

Kind Regards
Night Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,245)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Treated ourselves to a Saturday night at this superb hotel after spotting a good deal on late rooms. The location is excellent, right on the embankment and, having a river view room,meant a cracking view of the London Eye. The room itself was compact, cosy and beautifully furnished with every detail considered from underfloor heating in the bathroom to the iPod dock by the bed. The staff were friendly , professional and welcoming and although the breakfast came with a substantial price tag, it was worth every penny. An excellent hotel worthy of its five star rating and although pricey, it is definitely worth splashing out on a a treat. Thank you Royal Horseguards, we will be back :-)

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments following your recent stay with us! Like you said our location is just incredible and we are extremely fortunate to be based so centrally.
I was delighted to read your comments about your room. It's a priority of ours to ensure that all our guests have a comfortable and memorable stay at all times and I am pleased we were able to achieve this on this occasion

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We booked a standard room with no view. Which was fine because we just needed a comfortable place to lay our head after a big day of sightseeing. The room was superb. The bed and pillows made for a good nights sleep. The hotel was classically Devine and the staff were helpful and friendly. Loved it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for such a great feedback regarding your recent stay at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. I was delighted to see that you have really enjoyed staying with us. It is our priority to ensure that all our guests have an enjoyable and pleasant stay at all times so it is lovely to hear such great comments

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back at The Royal Horseguards Hotel in the near future.

Dena parker
Night manager
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I booked a stay at this hotel for a birthday treat for my husband.We have stayed several times before, knowing it to have all the special extras a 5 star hotel we enjoy. We enjoyed our evening at the theatre, and returned tired and happy. We noticed, as we passed the function room of the
hotel,a party was in full swing. Unfortunately our room 543 was over the function room, so no sleep for me until the music finished. Lucky husband has one deaf ear,
I mentioned this to the receptionist on duty when checking out, and the reply was 'why didn't you ask to change rooms!'. and she would note this on our details.
I am sorry to complain, but this is not what I expect from a hotel of this calibre(and price).
Saying this, the room was warm and comfortable, staff very friendly,and the little gesture of a birthday greeting and cake for my husband left in the room almost made up for my lack of sleep

Room Tip: Request a) your room is not over any function room and b) your room has a view of something other t...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Thankyou for taking the time to write a review following your recent staywith us. Please accept my apologies for the issues you experienced. We will be investigating the situation.
I hope i will have the pleasure of welcoming you back at The Royal Horseguards Hotel in the near future
kind regards
Michael Masaba
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We often visit London and have stayed in many different hotels. This time we stayed in The Royal Horseguards which is without doubt the best hotel we have stay in so far. We had a lovely room with a wonderful view of the river, a little garden, and the London eye that is so beautifully lit up at night.. We had breakfast, lunch and dinner in the hotel restaurants and all meals we excellent. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The location is just about perfect, with many of the main attractions London has to offer, within walking distance. The Embankment tube, which is well connected with many tube lines, is just outside the hotel. We have decided to make this hotel our base very time we visit London from now on.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that you will stay with us whenever you visit London. . I will ensure that your kind comments regarding the staff are passed on to each department.
We are indeed located in a fabulous location and are lucky enough to have most of London on our doorstep!
We are already looking forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Cheshire, Connecticut
Reviewed September 20, 2013

While our room lacked a view other than a tiny couryard, we found it very impressive, with remarkable attention to detail. The classic interior finished and appointments cleaverly hid the modern conveniences, creating a warm and welcoming appearance.

The location was ideal for our interests, either walking distance or a quick cab ride to all of the central London major attractions.

Best of all, the staff. Knowledgable, welcoming and diligent during our entire stay. Two thumbs up!!

Room Tip: Be specific as to the view and bed size.
2 Thank Kevin N
Thank you very much for such a great feedback regarding your recent stay at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. I was delighted to see that you have really enjoyed staying with us. It's a priority of ours to ensure that all our guests have a comfortable and memorable stay at all times and I am pleased we were able to achieve this on this occasion
We hope that we will be able to welcome both you and your husband back to the hotel in the very near future.

Kind regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2013

'A momentary lapse of reason ' coupled with my Wife's birthday was behind us staying here. We were off to see the Excellent 'Wall ' show at Wembley stadium performed by Roger Waters and in spite of only living approximately 12 miles from the Hotel, In view of me having a stroke in Thailand last year and tarnishing her birthday celebrations somewhat, we decided to go a little crazy as we are not planning to holiday this year.

Well ok ok...SHE decided to go very crazy indeed....ha ha.

She opted for the Romance package which included a full on panoramic Thames view and a bottle of champagne included. Check in was flawless and friendly. Two ladies from Germany made us feel wonderfully welcome and much to my delight Matthias, a chap I had spoken to on the telephone earlier in the week actually came out to say hello ( we had got on particularly well on the 'phone ) and took us to our room personally. Excellent stuff. Everybody made a special effort so that our room could be made available before the official check in time and the short 15 minute wait enabled us to explore the bar. And the room? A wonderful place to stay. Relaxing, big big bed, those views already spoken of, and of course the bubbly. Even that arrived seamlessly . Couple that with a Jacuzzi bath ( quite large and deep ) a separate rain head shower, twin washbasins, and Elemis toiletries...well even this hard rock chap smelt nice and fresh for Roger Waters.
Everything about this Hotel is simply adorable. The reception, the bar, the rooms. All meet the blissful elegance conducive to a wonderful stay. There is a wonderful mix of nationalities working here and each and every one is so helpful and so polite, so friendly. And the icing on the cake? They all have a sense of humour, a component which is so important to us. It has won many awards (the Hotel I mean, not the humour...arf arf...) and within five minutes...indeed thirty seconds of being here...you will know why. There are so many people I would love to personally mention but I will have to content myself with just a few. these are the Egyptian man on the door, the German check in staff, the Canadian chap in the bar, Matthias most definitely...I could drink quite happily with this chap, The Hungarian with ganesh on her arm, and the breakfast staff especially the short blonde haired lady from Amsterdam. ( I mean her hair was short, not the lady herself ). In fact everyone who we had dealings with. Last but not least, a lady on the switchboard named Laura ( if I have got the switchboard part wrong, I promise to hang myself in the oven ). I just 'phoned her to say what a wonderful time we had and to shamefully ask 1. How to spell Matthias' name correctly and 2. The name of the toiletries in the room. What a great lady...a lovely chat.

Were there any problems? Yes, but not severe enough to not give a heart felt 5 star review.

One. I have to use a sleep mask at night...( calm yourselves ladies...its hardly erotic...:) )
Also everything in my life is to the left...politics, the dangly bits, and if you are standing at the bottom of my bed and facing the bed, I HAVE to sleep on the left hand side. There were two plug sockets on my wife's side including one behind the bedside cabinet. But on my side, no useable plug sockets close to my bed at all. I could have 'phoned for an extension lead I suppose, but at 0320am, I just decided to sleep without the machine.

Two. the bacon was rather cold at breakfast. But it was still far too delicious to put off eating it so I just tucked in.

In conclusion, a wonderful stay. Would we return? YES. (Although we do live rather close ...lol..).

In fact I have just found out that one of my secret watering holes at the Grosvenor Hotel by Victoria station is also a Guoman property. Clearly they are doing things right!!!

The rose petals in the room on our return were the largest amount we have ever received, and at 0250am I felt an urge to re-arrange them into a 'THANK YOU' on the table. (Yes yes Alcohol was involved but so WHAT !!! :) ).

My final thanks and the most important thanks go to my Wife who made this all possible. Thank you x

1 Thank Electricwarrior
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you very much for such a great feedback regarding your stay at THe Royal Horseguards Hotel . Its our priority to ensure that all our guests have an enjoyable and pleasant stay. i will ensure taht all your kind comments are passed on to each department
kind regards