“Best hotel in London”

Ranked #100 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Best hotel in London”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

We often visit London and have stayed in many different hotels. This time we stayed in The Royal Horseguards which is without doubt the best hotel we have stay in so far. We had a lovely room with a wonderful view of the river, a little garden, and the London eye that is so beautifully lit up at night.. We had breakfast, lunch and dinner in the hotel restaurants and all meals we excellent. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The location is just about perfect, with many of the main attractions London has to offer, within walking distance. The Embankment tube, which is well connected with many tube lines, is just outside the hotel. We have decided to make this hotel our base very time we visit London from now on.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that you will stay with us whenever you visit London. . I will ensure that your kind comments regarding the staff are passed on to each department.
We are already looking forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Kind regards,
Dena Parker
Night Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,219)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cheshire, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

While our room lacked a view other than a tiny couryard, we found it very impressive, with remarkable attention to detail. The classic interior finished and appointments cleaverly hid the modern conveniences, creating a warm and welcoming appearance.

The location was ideal for our interests, either walking distance or a quick cab ride to all of the central London major attractions.

Best of all, the staff. Knowledgable, welcoming and diligent during our entire stay. Two thumbs up!!

Room Tip: Be specific as to the view and bed size.
2 Thank Kevin N
Thank you very much for such a great feedback regarding your recent stay at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. I was delighted to see that you have really enjoyed staying with us. It's a priority of ours to ensure that all our guests have a comfortable and memorable stay at all times and I am pleased we were able to achieve this on this occasion
We hope that we will be able to welcome both you and your husband back to the hotel in the very near future.

Kind regards
Dena Parker
Night Manager
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

'A momentary lapse of reason ' coupled with my Wife's birthday was behind us staying here. We were off to see the Excellent 'Wall ' show at Wembley stadium performed by Roger Waters and in spite of only living approximately 12 miles from the Hotel, In view of me having a stroke in Thailand last year and tarnishing her birthday celebrations somewhat, we decided to go a little crazy as we are not planning to holiday this year.

Well ok ok...SHE decided to go very crazy indeed....ha ha.

She opted for the Romance package which included a full on panoramic Thames view and a bottle of champagne included. Check in was flawless and friendly. Two ladies from Germany made us feel wonderfully welcome and much to my delight Matthias, a chap I had spoken to on the telephone earlier in the week actually came out to say hello ( we had got on particularly well on the 'phone ) and took us to our room personally. Excellent stuff. Everybody made a special effort so that our room could be made available before the official check in time and the short 15 minute wait enabled us to explore the bar. And the room? A wonderful place to stay. Relaxing, big big bed, those views already spoken of, and of course the bubbly. Even that arrived seamlessly . Couple that with a Jacuzzi bath ( quite large and deep ) a separate rain head shower, twin washbasins, and Elemis toiletries...well even this hard rock chap smelt nice and fresh for Roger Waters.
Everything about this Hotel is simply adorable. The reception, the bar, the rooms. All meet the blissful elegance conducive to a wonderful stay. There is a wonderful mix of nationalities working here and each and every one is so helpful and so polite, so friendly. And the icing on the cake? They all have a sense of humour, a component which is so important to us. It has won many awards (the Hotel I mean, not the humour...arf arf...) and within five minutes...indeed thirty seconds of being here...you will know why. There are so many people I would love to personally mention but I will have to content myself with just a few. these are the Egyptian man on the door, the German check in staff, the Canadian chap in the bar, Matthias most definitely...I could drink quite happily with this chap, The Hungarian with ganesh on her arm, and the breakfast staff especially the short blonde haired lady from Amsterdam. ( I mean her hair was short, not the lady herself ). In fact everyone who we had dealings with. Last but not least, a lady on the switchboard named Laura ( if I have got the switchboard part wrong, I promise to hang myself in the oven ). I just 'phoned her to say what a wonderful time we had and to shamefully ask 1. How to spell Matthias' name correctly and 2. The name of the toiletries in the room. What a great lady...a lovely chat.

Were there any problems? Yes, but not severe enough to not give a heart felt 5 star review.

One. I have to use a sleep mask at night...( calm yourselves ladies...its hardly erotic...:) )
Also everything in my life is to the left...politics, the dangly bits, and if you are standing at the bottom of my bed and facing the bed, I HAVE to sleep on the left hand side. There were two plug sockets on my wife's side including one behind the bedside cabinet. But on my side, no useable plug sockets close to my bed at all. I could have 'phoned for an extension lead I suppose, but at 0320am, I just decided to sleep without the machine.

Two. the bacon was rather cold at breakfast. But it was still far too delicious to put off eating it so I just tucked in.

In conclusion, a wonderful stay. Would we return? YES. (Although we do live rather close ...lol..).

In fact I have just found out that one of my secret watering holes at the Grosvenor Hotel by Victoria station is also a Guoman property. Clearly they are doing things right!!!

The rose petals in the room on our return were the largest amount we have ever received, and at 0250am I felt an urge to re-arrange them into a 'THANK YOU' on the table. (Yes yes Alcohol was involved but so WHAT !!! :) ).

My final thanks and the most important thanks go to my Wife who made this all possible. Thank you x

1 Thank Electricwarrior
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you very much for such a great feedback regarding your stay at THe Royal Horseguards Hotel . Its our priority to ensure that all our guests have an enjoyable and pleasant stay. i will ensure taht all your kind comments are passed on to each department
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

We too chose carefully among many Hotels in the area, and are happy to say, that we completely enjoyed our stay, the room, the staff, the Breakfasts, the location....in every way, it's an excellent Hotel ! We had the great fortune to stay in an upper floor-river view room and it was exceptional ! I can't imagine staying anywhere else when we go back !

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Susan J
Thankyou for your wonderful comments following your recent stay at THe Royal Horseguards Hotel. Its our priority to ensure that all our guests have a comfortable and memorable stay at all times.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

We carefully chose this hotel from among many choices For this leg of our London stay. The hotel is part of The Preferred Hotels of the World group, small yet elegantly appointed boutique hotels. In looking for hotels I find it helpful to know where it's located in the city. It's about a 40 minute drive from the airport. If you walk out the front door and take a left, walk one safe block down Whitehall Court Lane, past old Scotland Yard, then take a right, it's about a one long block to Trafalgar Square. There are 5 or 6 decent local pubs on The street on the way to Trafalgar Square. One can grab many HopOnHopOff buses at the square. If you go out the front hotel door and take a right, walk one short block to Embankment Tube station, then Take a left for a "UN" assortment of small casual international cuisine eateries that look faBulous! Greek, mediterrean,Italian,British you name it the street has it. Nothing fancy, jjusr casual SETtings with packed crowds. Wish we had found this street the first day of our stay, not the last night!
OK...room is small but we requested a king size bed, with breakfast in advance. It's well laid out with a small walkin closet, safe, plenty of amenities...umbrella,ironing board,shoe shine,clothes brush,hair dryer, tea maker, refrig, plenty of bathroom sundries. The bed was very firm and lots of pillows, which for me is a must in a king bed. Heated towel rack and floor in bathroom with great oversized bath towels covering a 6'2" husband! bath slippers and robes, and a tv in bathroom.
Request a room with a view of the Thames and London eye. Ours was 736, in the corner and quiet hall. Great morning sunrises! WiFi access was one of the easiest we've ever accessed in a hotel. No unnecessary passwords. ESy connection. Business computer downstairs was often out however, but although we had iPad with us, we had to forward documents to front desk to print. Staff was more than willing to accommodate this procedure.
Breakfast Buffett was more than sufficient, with option to have Eggs Benedict or Florentine, Poaced or bOiled or omelette made to order. Table linens changed with every new guest. Get there early for breakfast (prior to 715am if you don't want to wait in line to be seated since hotel full with business guests scurrying off to meetings. Equus bar delightful for evening aperitifs and very light small plate bites. We had a trio of Parma wraps, vegetable tempura, and smoked salmon on rye crisps for 9pounds. Drinks were typical !New York or Boston prices, but a somewhat limited selection of spirits. Wine list was adequate and balanced for a small bar. AlwAys busy with guests occupying every small but comfortBly seated corner. We would stay at this location again after this 3 night stay.

Room Tip: 7th -9th floors have good views . Request Thames river side for morning sunrises. Room 736 small Roo...
2 Thank Marilyn K
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thankyou very much for such a great feedback regarding your recent stay at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. Like you said our location is just incredible and we are extremely fortunate to be based so centrally. Its our priority to ensure that all our guests have an enjoyable and pleasant stay at all times
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

The great: I was able to check in at 7:30 in the morning....with very little fuss. This was pure bliss and was so greatly appreciated having just come off a transatlantic flight. Truly...I can not stress how happy I was to be accommodated in this manner. Unfortunate thing: the service at 7 am is a little lacking. No doorman, just a gaggle of porters far too busy chatting amongst themselves to be of help. Other unfortunate things...apparently I got to stay in the servant's quarters....think Upstairs Downstairs...and you get the idea. Tiny room, tiny bed, tiny window over looking tiny interior space. However, I would say had I been offered a nice room, with nice view only to have to wait until the standard check in time ....I would have picked the small room that was ready immediately. Nicely arranged however and clean....but I noticed that the fittings in the bathroom were on the verge of falling off.

One thing I will say...the breakfast is really very good. Very very good. Lovely smoked fish and such. Very pricey if it isn't included in your room rate...but a lovely buffet.

2 Thank Timezoned
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thankyou for taking time to write a review following your recent sttay. Please accept my apologies for the issues you experienced . We are loking into it to rectify .
I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back at the Royal Horseguards Hotel in the near future.
Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

The Royal Horseguards is an elegant hotel in the perfect location, just a stone's throw from Trafalgar Square and around the corner from Embankment Tube Station. There was a king bed in the spacious room, and separate tub and rain shower stall in the bathroom. The bathroom was laid out well and convenient, although the lighting over the sink was not ideal. There was a safe in the room. The staff was courteous and helpful. The minibar was automated, so any item removed is instantly charged. The buffet breakfast was very good, with the option of selecting eggs from the menu. One day we had sandwiches for lunch in a sitting room off the lobby, and they were quite good, although pricey. You have the option of selecting your own ingredients for a made-up sandwich. There is a more formal restaurant, but we did not eat there.

1 Thank RebelVirginia
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay. We are indeed located in a fabulous location and are lucky enough to have most of London on our doorstep!

I was especially pleased to read your comments that you found the staff to be professional, very pleasant and courteous. This makes us feel so proud to have such lovely comments from our guest.

Thank you for the fabulous comments and We look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind regards,