“Exellent location”

The Royal Horseguards
Ranked #114 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I stayed for two nights in a rather small but comfy room. It was clean; I had a nice view of the garden, and the London Eye. There was a high standard in the room except for the shower which broke on the second morning. The personnel were attentive and service minded. The bar was nice with delicious but rather pricy drinks. Wi-Fi was included but I did not have breakfast in my booking. That was the downside of the stay i.e. having to pay more than £22 for breakfast. I did it once and it was not worth it, not here, not anywhere, especially if you can get a decent breakfast around the corner for £4. The location of the hotel was excellent with a walking distance to many of the London attractions.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the garden.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Thankyou for taking time to write a review following your recent stay with us. its a priority of ours to ensure that all our guests have a comfortable and memorable stay.Please accept my apologies for any issues you experinced. In the meantime if i can assist any furthur please donot hesitate to contact me
kind regards
Michael Masaba
Guest Relations Manager

There are newer reviews for The Royal Horseguards

Reviewed August 31, 2013

There are so many High Teas to pick from in London however I picked this one due The Royal Horseguards was given the Award of Excellence from the Tea Guild’s Top London Afternoon Tea Awards. It came with a selection of finger sandwiches, some cakes and pastries a fruit scone and a cinnamon scone, jam and Cornish clotted cream and the flavor if tea we choose was Strawberries & Cream. We only like two out of the four finger sandwiches. We liked the salmon and the cucumber the other two types where so dry and tasteless. The cakes and pastries where very small plus only served one of each type which was weird since we are paying for two high teas not one. So I let my daughter be the tastes tester of the cakes and pastries she only like two out the four she said they were very dry. The scones arrived liked the cinnamon ones but tasted like store bought ones nothing really special. As you can tell we were very disappointed with the tea especially the price we paid for it £30 per person. We are from Canada and we were so disappointed with the high tea

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank bluesky11
HotelLondon, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our afternoon tea. I was pleased to hear you enjoyed your leaf tea selection, the "Strawberries and Cream" blend is our own unique blend, designed in collaboration with the top tea specialists from Novus, and has been very well received by our guest. However I was disappointed to hear you did not enjoy our freshly made sandwich selection, we do get many compliments for our wide variety of handmade flavoured breads and seasonal fillings, I apologise if this was not up to our usual high standards.

I would also like to assure you that our scones are most certainly homemade from the highest quality ingredients and are freshly baked daily, to a recipe that has been developed and tested by our talented pastry team. I am glad you did find the scones enjoyable even if you found them to be un-noteworthy.

Finally I would like to apologise if you were not made aware of our standard to deliver small quantities of the pastries "little and often" so that the freshness and temperature is perfectly served every time. Our afternoon tea is constantly refreshed and is practically an "all you can eat" offer, therefore certainly good value for £30 when compared to other 5star London hotels.
We do hope you will choose to return to the Royal Horseguards Hotel in the future to enjoy an afternoon tea, that is more to the levels of our usual award winning experience.

Joanne Todd,
Head Pastry Chef

Reviewed August 30, 2013

We chose this hotel through Trip Advisor and were very happy with the choice. Its location is ideal for site seeing and easy walking distance to Theatreland. The hotel is stylish and the accommodation very comfortable. For a hotel of this standard, in this location, the charges are reasonable. We had booked a river view room which did indeed give a very good view down the Thames - "Earth has not anything to show more fair". Frustratingly, although we had a balcony (with chairs and table) the doors onto it were locked and we couldn't make use of it. Apparently its a Health and Safety thing.

Room Tip: Not convinced the river view rooms worth the premium.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2013

Thank you for your wonderful comments following your recent stay with us! Like you said our location is just incredible and we are extremely fortunate to be based so centrally.

Please accept my apologies regarding you not being able to use the balcony. Unfortunately some of these are not able to be used as the balustrades are deemed to be too low by the local authority as this is a health and safety issue, we are currently working with them to resolve this matter.

We hope you will choose to return to us again in the future as we would love to be able to welcome you back

Kind regards
Night Manager

Reviewed August 29, 2013

My family, 8 of us, stayed here for two nights prior to a cruise. It is a beautiful hotel conveniently located across from the tube and a short walk to the eye and other London attractions. Our room was quite small. The other three rooms for our party were much larger with sitting areas. There is also a Starbucks across the street which was convenient since there is no complimentary coffee available in the morning. The bathroom was very nice with heated towel rack and tv. The staff was attentive and pleasant. I would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Request a room that is not on the street. We were there during a big soccer event and there was alot...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Karen K
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Thank you very much for such a great feedback regarding your recent stay at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. I was delighted to see that you have really enjoyed staying with us. It is our priority to ensure that all our guests have an enjoyable and pleasant stay at all times so it is lovely to hear such great comments

. I was delighted to read that you would stay with us when you visit London. We are already looking forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Kind regards

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Our brother in law was celebrating a milestone birthday in Central London so we thought that we would make a weekend of it and book accommodation for the Saturday night. We reserved a room at The Royal Horseguards and were not disappointed. It is a prestigious property overlooking the River Thames. Although it is located in Whitehall Court close to Northumberland Avenue and both Charing Cross mainline and Embankment tube stations, very little external noise can be heard from the rooms which made for a good night's sleep.

We had reserved a Deluxe Double Room at a good value advanced online rate. A couple of days prior to our stay we received a pleasant e-mail from the hotel's Guest Relations Manager asking if there was anything that she could do to make our stay more comfortable. I replied that we would like to stay in a room overlooking the River Thames if available and was very pleased when I received her reply confirming that they would arrange for the same.

The room was located on the upper floors overlooking the river. It was well appointed, spacious and airy, as was the bathroom where complimentary toiletries were provided for our convenience. There was even a TV mounted on the wall in the shower.

Before going out to my brother in law's birthday party on the Saturday evening, we ordered some drinks and relaxed for an hour in the beautiful Equus Bar. En route to the bar, we walked through the restaurant where a lady was playing a harp to guests enjoying a traditional afternoon tea. It created such a lovely atmosphere that my wife has decided that she will be booking afternoon tea for all her friends at this hotel to celebrate her birthday in October.

We have nothing but praise for this hotel and it's staff. We checked out on Sunday morning feeling totally relaxed, safe in the knowledge that we have managed to locate a beautiful hotel in the heart of Central London which is a warm and welcoming sight when returning from a noisy, party atmosphere in Covent Garden on a Saturday night! The best of both worlds.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

I am delighted to read this fantastic review regarding your stay with us at The Royal Horseguards Hotel for your brother-in-laws birthday celebration. I know that the entire team will be so proud to hear that the service they provided was most appreciated.

I am pleased that you enjoyed all the facilities and amenities in your room, and the bathroom TV does prove very popular with our guests!

I know that both the Reception Team as well as the Restaurant team will be very pleased with your kind comments, as they work extremely hard to go that extra mile to provide an experience not to forget for all of our guests.

We are already looking forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Night Manager

Reviewed August 28, 2013

My granddaughter and I stayed at The Royal Horseguards for one week in July 2013. I am partially disabled. The staff were accommodating, offered help without needing o be asked, the location was excellent for tube, bus and only a short walk to Trafalgar Square and other locations. I highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MarianneElizabeth

Thank you very much for such a great feedback regarding your recent stay at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. I was delighted to see that you have really enjoyed staying with us. It is our priority to ensure that all our guests whatever their abilities have an enjoyable and pleasant stay at all times so it is lovely to hear such great comments

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back at The Royal Horseguards Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

I stay regularly at hotels in London. About 20 nights a year. At the last minute I needed a room in London on a Friday evening. I was out of the country when the booking was made by our travel agents. It was not one of my two usual hotels. I had stayed at this hotel about 10 years ago.

It was expensive. Probably stung by it being a short notice booking. We were given a "deluxe double". It was definitely not deluxe and it was certainly not large enough for two. I am 185 and my feet were well over the edge of the bed. A bed which was squashed into the room, with hardly any space either side of the bed. It was almost claustrophobic.

To be fair when I complained, we were moved to a more reasonable room, this time described as an executive double on the 8th floor. Breakfast was fine, but not as good as many provided in similar rated hotels. A short stay, but not one wanting us to return for a longer one.

Room Tip: 8th floor better than the 4th!
1  Thank Ashfield11

Thank you for taking the time to complete our online survey.

Please accept my apologies for the issues you experienced. We will investigate the situation and will be in contact shortly.

In the meantime if I can assist in any way further, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Dena parker