“The Royal Horseguards and our Summer Vacation” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Royal Horseguards

The Royal Horseguards
Ranked #92 of 1,087 Hotels in London
Los Angeles
“The Royal Horseguards and our Summer Vacation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

The Royal Horseguards is a lovely hotel that is just close enough to everything but not on an over crowded street. A very short walk away from Trafalgar Square and so much more, it was like having an oasis in London. The doormen and concierge were both very helpful and friendly. Front desk as well - although they were not very helpful in taking care some of the issues we were having during our stay. We had reserved two rooms. One for our two teenage kids and one for the parents (us). We asked for , were charged and paid more for our room (thinking that ours should be a bit larger as it was more common for the kids to come hang out in our room as we planned our days or recapped them at the end of the day). Long story short, we were surprised to find that our more expensive room was about half the size of the kids room. The front desk really did not have a reason as to why this was. We moved to another room - sadly on another floor, we did not want to be so far from them. That said, room 313 was nice, so we felt things were looking up. That is until we discovered that that room happened to be in a dead zone for WiFi. The only way I could get signal was to walking in the hallway. yes, it is vacation and we should not be checking emails of course, but when you own a business, it is hard to be totally disconnected. I had hoped to just spend an hour a day on emails (when everyone was asleep, which worked perfect with the time difference of London and LA). Long story short, that one hour planned time ended up being almost 3 as I had to keep on going in and out of the room to get my messages. Made for a sleepy person the next day as we walked around London enjoying the sights. The front desk showed me two other rooms as options and like a prank tv show, the rooms kept on getting smaller and smaller. On a bright side, it was lovely to have heated floors in the bathroom (yes, even in August) and it was a nice distraction to watch tv that was in the wall of the bathtub. Long story short, room 313 was a nice room, although the bed was quite small for a room that size, I think it was a full size at best. The room could have easily have had a Queen size bed (and maybe even a kind size bed) - plus, the bed was on wheels so if you pushed it a bit, it rolled around a bit. We had a traditional English tea and it was nice but a bit pricey for what it actually is. Over one hundred dollars for a few finger sandwiches and two pots of tea seemed a bit excessive. But, we were able to cross off our life list, "have afternoon tea in London". So yes, I would recommend the Royal Horseguards and even go back, but I would be cautious as to what room I had before I unpacked and I would most likely not do the tea service again ... and oh yeah, I would get a good explanation of the rates as I am still baffled as to why our room was charged more (regardless of what explanation they gave me when i was there - reality is reality, regardless of what name you give the room type, if it is smaller than the other room and does not have any other obvious comfort upgrades, it should not cost more). Just because a restaurant calls a ham sandwich a "sandwich au jambon" it does not mean they should charge you more for it. :)

Room Tip: Keep in mind that some rooms are quite small (yes even for Europe) and others face an internal cour...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank BurbankBlvd
HotelLondon, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor.

It is great to hear that you found our location excellent. We are so close to many of the key sights and attractions, while still being located in a quiet street resulting in the perfect combination.

Please let me apologies for your disappointment with your rooms. I completely understand why you chose to upgrade your room, therefore given yourselves more space to plan your adventures in London. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations and that the reception team were unsuccessful in showing you alternative rooms which met your requirements more. I have asked our Front Office Manager to ensure the necessary training is taking place with his team.

Our rooms do vary in size and layout, and due to the age of the building we are restricted on what alterations we can make. Some of our larger rooms in each room category are inner well facing, which some of our guests prefer as they find them quieter while other guest need more natural light.

I was most disappointed to read of the problems you experienced with the internet in the room. I can imagine how frustrating this situation was for you. Something that should have been so easy turned in to something exasperating and annoying, which resulted in effecting your well earned vacation. Please accept my personal apologies for this, and I can assure it is currently being addressed.

However on a positive note, I am pleased you did like and enjoyed room 313.

I am sorry that our afternoon tea did not meet all your expectations, as it is a great British tradition and something I would recommend everyone to do. We do offer to replenish all items, as we do not like the thought of anyone going away hungry! I wish we had been aware so we could have addressed the situation straight away for you.

Despite all of this, I was delighted to read that you would return to us again the next time you come to London. Please contact us direct when you are coming back, so we ensure we fix these issues for a truly memorable stay next time.

Victoria Tidboald
Rooms Division Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,202)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

This was one of the best hotel experiences we have had in Europe. Our room was spotless and full of wonderfully indulgent touches like a heated bathroom floor, heated towel rack, charging station for our electronics, electric tea kettle and generous tea assortment, refreshingly cold air conditioning in each room, fantastic fitness room, on and on. This hotel was selected for us as part of a touring package, but it was truly one of the highlights of our visit to London. It is located perfectly to enable easy access to restaurants and sightseeing venues, but is quiet and cozy enough to ensure a wonderfully restful night's sleep. We awoke each morning to enjoy the wonderful breakfast and relax a bit before dashing off to see the amazing sites throughout London. We absolutely loved this hotel from the moment we had the door whisked open by the ever-attentive doormen up until the time we sadly checked out of this incredibly peaceful and welcoming haven that made us feel as comfortable as we are at home. If you are considering this hotel for your visit, you will NOT be disappointed. It was spectacular.

Room Tip: If you like to relax a bit before bed, ask for a room with a sitting area. It gives a little extra...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Thank you very much for such a great feedback regarding your recent stay at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. I was delighted to see that you have really enjoyed staying with us. It is our priority to ensure that all our guests have an enjoyable and pleasant stay at all times so it is lovely to hear such great comments

We are indeed located in a fabulous location and are lucky enough to have most of London on our doorstep! I am pleased that you liked your room and that you made use of the little extra touches, which we provide as a minimum standard in all our rooms.
I will ensure that your fantastic comments about the staff are passed on to the entire team.

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is situated a few minutes' walk from The Cenotaph, overlooking the river. So easily accessible, yet so quiet - a real oasis.
From the doorman who greeted me from the taxi to the receptionists, the concierge, housekeeping, porters and even the chef, the staff were incredibly polite (yet happy and friendly), and very efficient.
My room - a standard double - was large. I didn't have a view but that didn't matter as i was only stating one night (and I knew it before I arrived), I just admired the view from the terrace instead.
Lovely bathroom (although couldn't get a picture on the tv above the bath), with great choice of toiletries.
The only thing I can really fault was the length of the cord on the hair dryer!
I really hope to return one day, but for a longer stay next time.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I am delighted to read this fantastic review regarding your stay with us at The Royal Horseguards Hotel I know that the entire team will be so proud to hear that the service they provided was most appreciated.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, your comments have been passed on to the appropriate manager to look in to and I hope I will we will be able to welcome you back to The Royal Horseguards Hotel in the near future.

Launceston, Tasmania, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Royal Horseguards for a fortnight in July/August 2013. It was our second stay at the Horseguards so we were anxious for this visit to live up to our expectations based on our first visit. If anything, our second visit was better than our first. We had a room on the 4th floor looking into the trees in Whitehall Gardens. We could see the sparkle of the River Thames and from some angles we could see the top of the London Eye. It was very restful to look out the windows at the dappled sunlight in the trees. During winter I imagine there would be clear views to the river and gardens below.
Our room was large enough for us to be comfortable for our two weeks' stay. We had breakfast at the hotel each morning. On a couple of occasions we had to wait for a table to be free before we could go into the restaurant, but we were advised that this might happen the night before by a letter from management. Breakfast was always nice - a good mixture of hot and cold food. The only disappointment was that hashbrowns now have to be ordered rather than just being on the buffet - just a minor difference between our two visits.
We had a turndown service every night where towels and complimentary bottled water were stocked up and most nights little chocolates were left on our pillows - a lovely touch after a hard day sightseeing!
We could hear some noise from the street, but it didn't disturb our sleep.
We only had two minor issues with our room - the air-conditioning was a bit noisy and the shower curtain was a bit short so the shower splashed out onto the bathroom floor, but there were plenty of towels to dry that up.
The location of the hotel is wonderful - within easy walking distance of two Tube and National Rail stations; countless restaurants and takeaways; theatres and tourist attractions. The hotel staff were always friendly and wished us a good morning or good evening when we went out for the day/night or when we returned to the hotel.
Whilst the price may be a little high, it is more reasonable than other 5 star London hotels, and the quality of this hotel makes it all worth it. The location means you will save time and money on Tube and taxi fares getting to places by staying at the Horseguards rather than somewhere cheaper and further out of the centre of London. Plus, whenever you spot the iconic building when watching films and TV shows set in London (ie. James Bond, Spooks, Hustle), you'll get to say "there's my hotel"!

Room Tip: Rooms on the river side have a view but more street noise.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments following your recent stay with us! Like you said our location is just incredible and we are extremely fortunate to be based so centrally.
I am delighted that you had a great second stay with us and found the team friendly and helpful during your time with us. However in regards to your comments about the bathroom shower curtains and air conditioning I have passed your comments on to the departments concerned to look in to.

We are regularly used for TV and films and you are correct in saying that it becomes a conversation piece.

Thank you for sharing your experience and I hope I will we will be able to welcome you back again for a third visit to The Royal Horseguards Hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards
Taunton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

I had read the reviews of rooms with a view on to a brick wall and internal courtyard with some trepidation but when we were given such a room, it was no big deal. Our view was on to a white tiled wall, some 20 feet away, and the bottom pane of our window was frosted, but it wasn't a problem. The window was to one side of a spacious, high ceiling room, with a king size (6') bed, so the view, or lack of, was incidental to the appearance, and our enjoyment, of the room.

A high spot for us was dinner on the terrace on a balmy evening, with the sound of Big Ben chiming in the background. The restaurant staff were charming, especially the head waiter, Manuel, and took pains to describe the elaborate menu. The food was very good, too.

Whitehall Gardens, in front of the hotel, is beautifully maintained and full of interesting Victorian statues. In fact, the whole area is full of memorials to WW2.

We had a two nights package via Great Little Breaks.

1 Thank Allan T
I was delighted to read your comments about your room. It's a priority of ours to ensure that all our guests have a comfortable and memorable stay at all times and I am pleased that we were able to achieve this on this occasion
Thank you for sharing your experience and I hope I will we will be able to welcome you back to The Royal Horseguards Hotel in the near future.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

Great service and a first class experience. Fantastic location central to everything. Attention to the finer things, but rooms are a tad small. Maintains the classic British traditions and still has the air of a bond sitting at the bar.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

I hope we and 007 will have the pleasure of welcoming you back at The Royal Horseguards Hotel in the near future.

Dartford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

We did not stay in the hotel, my husband booked a table for us to celebrate our wedding anniversary in the splendid One Twenty One Two restaurant and it could not have been better, the weather was really warm and we sat out in the garden terrace and had a lovely relaxing evening. We had the 5 course gourmet menu, with a glass of champagne , I don't eat meat and the chef was very accommodating swapping the meat dishes for lovely fish dishes. The staff were very friendly and attentive, the food was wonderful, and when mentioned it was an anniversary celebration our desserts came with a personalised message of " happy anniversary " and a complimentary glass of dessert wine. We could not have asked for anything more and we will certainly go back.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
HotelLondon, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear Guest,
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your evening at One Twenty One Two.
We are extremely proud to have played an enjoyable part in such a special occasion and we will be happy to see you again.

Sergio