The Royal Horseguards
  • Pool
$347
$215
  • Restaurant
Strand Palace Hotel(London)(Great Value!)
$185
$164
  • Restaurant
Park Grand London Lancaster Gate(London)(Great Value!)
$252
Orbitz.com
$261
$242
4,974 results
All reviewslondon eyeembankment tube stationtrafalgar squareriver viewroyal horse guardsequus barheated floorsdowning streetbig benafternoon teaheated towel rackunderfloor heatingbeautiful hotelcharing crossstar hotelcovent gardenturn down service
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I had read the reviews of rooms with a view on to a brick wall and internal courtyard with some trepidation but when we were given such a room, it was no big deal. Our view was on to a white tiled wall, some 20 feet away, and the bottom pane of our window was frosted, but it wasn't a problem. The window was to one side of a spacious, high ceiling room, with a king size (6') bed, so the view, or lack of, was incidental to the appearance, and our enjoyment, of the room.

A high spot for us was dinner on the terrace on a balmy evening, with the sound of Big Ben chiming in the background. The restaurant staff were charming, especially the head waiter, Manuel, and took pains to describe the elaborate menu. The food was very good, too.

Whitehall Gardens, in front of the hotel, is beautifully maintained and full of interesting Victorian statues. In fact, the whole area is full of memorials to WW2.

We had a two nights package via Great Little Breaks.

1  Thank Allan T
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

I was delighted to read your comments about your room. It's a priority of ours to ensure that all our guests have a comfortable and memorable stay at all times and I am pleased that we were able to achieve this on this occasion
Thank you for sharing your experience and I hope I will we will be able to welcome you back to The Royal Horseguards Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Great service and a first class experience. Fantastic location central to everything. Attention to the finer things, but rooms are a tad small. Maintains the classic British traditions and still has the air of a bond sitting at the bar.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Thank you very much for such a great feedback regarding your recent stay at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. I was delighted to see that you have really enjoyed staying with us. It is our priority to ensure that all our guests have an enjoyable and pleasant stay at all times so it is lovely to hear such great comments

I hope we and 007 will have the pleasure of welcoming you back at The Royal Horseguards Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

We did not stay in the hotel, my husband booked a table for us to celebrate our wedding anniversary in the splendid One Twenty One Two restaurant and it could not have been better, the weather was really warm and we sat out in the garden terrace and had a lovely relaxing evening. We had the 5 course gourmet menu, with a glass of champagne , I don't eat meat and the chef was very accommodating swapping the meat dishes for lovely fish dishes. The staff were very friendly and attentive, the food was wonderful, and when mentioned it was an anniversary celebration our desserts came with a personalised message of " happy anniversary " and a complimentary glass of dessert wine. We could not have asked for anything more and we will certainly go back.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelLondon, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Dear Guest,
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your evening at One Twenty One Two.
We are extremely proud to have played an enjoyable part in such a special occasion and we will be happy to see you again.

Sergio
Restaurant Manager

Reviewed August 20, 2013

We had high expectations of staying in this interesting hotel, our expectations were exceeded!
We had an easy check in, our room was on the 9th floor with rooftop views, we could see Nelson on his column! the room was well equipped and quiet, we slept very well both nights.
Breakfast was calm and relaxing with a good choice of hot and cold food, we sat outside on the terrace hearing Big Ben chime and feeling very fortunate to be there!
The hotel location was so convenient for the things we planned, we walked to Buckingham Palace and to Regent Street. We were given a 24 hour river boat ticket with our package so were able to get a boat to Tower Bridge.
We also took afternoon tea at the hotel and Dinner - see the review for One Twenty One Two.
The hotel staff in all departments were very helpful and attentive, we hope we will be able to return to stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back at The Royal Horseguards Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Stayed at the start of July as part of my honeymoon. Gorgeous building in a great location and when I was able to check in 3 hours early I was impressed. I'd booked a deluxe double room with breakfast and at around £350 per night I was expecting great things. Unfortunately when I arrived at the room on the 2nd floor it was dark there was no bath and there was a loud noise outside. When I opened the curtains I found a view of fire escapes and the noise was coming from some kind of generator that would have been running 24 hours. I went back to reception and asked to be moved mentioning that this was my honeymoon. Although reception agreed to move me (but didn't say congratulations or recognize the fact that it was a special occasion, they did try to explain that as I had arrived early this was one of the few rooms that was available, however I wouldn't have wanted to stay in this room at anytime especially considering the price. I was then moved to a room on the 8th floor which was much better a lot brighter and had a nice view. The bed was comfy and the bathroom was spacious. TV in the bathroom was a nice touch only to find that you couldn't change channel and had to watch whatever was on the TV in the bedroom which seems to defeat the object of having a TV. When I was moved to this room, reception said that they would ask concierge to bring my bags up which was good, however after half an hour of sitting in the room I had to phone down to chase concierge up and after another 10 minutes I was about to go down when they arrived. Poor service which continued at breakfast where I was greeted by grumpy looking staff who showed us to our table and then said help yourself without really showing us where everything was especially as the buffet was in different places. Breakfast was substantial but nothing more than you would expect from a good 4* hotel, certainly not worth the extra £30 per person per day I paid. Although the waitress was efficient in bringing tea and coffee she actually tried to clear my plates before we had both finished and had to be told to leave them even though the next day she tried to do the same again. Although the staff were efficient none of them seemed particularly pleasant. When we finished breakfast nobody said goodbye or thank you on either of the days that we were there. Generally disappointed with the service although housekeeping were very good, the turn down service was a nice touch and the doorman was very quick in finding us a taxi when we left. The hotel has a nice lobby and meeting space with some comfy chairs and sofas, however we were put off from sitting in here for too long due to some quite loud and inappropriate background music - more club music and not in keeping with an elegant 5* hotel. Maybe that is why there was nobody sitting around the lobby on both nights when we returned back from a night out. I've seen some reviews where people have praised the service and quality of the rooms and facilities, so I might have been unlucky when I stayed or I might even be over critical, however for the price I paid I expected 5* service and didn't feel that the hotel lived up to my expectations especially as I wanted everything to be perfect for my honeymoon. There is no doubt that this is a lovely building in a great location but customer service needs to be improved especially as there is so much choice of hotels in London..

Room Tip: Avoid 2nd floor, 8th floor has rooms with a view across London. Although if you don't like your room ask reception to move you -they have lots of rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelLondon, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Congratulations on your wedding!!!

Please let me being by apologising for the reception team not acknowledging this when you spoke to them regarding your room.

I am disappointed that the first room you went to did not meet your expectations, but I pleased to read that we were able to move to an alternative room which you found more acceptable. I was shocked to read comments about the delay in receiving your luggage, and I have asked out Head Concierge to investigate this issue further to ensure it does not happen again.

Our Executive Chef has asked for his apologies to be linked with mine regarding your issues over breakfast. I am sorry you experienced further poor service, and below par standards form the breakfast team. I know our Restaurant Manager has reviewed your feedback with his team, so that valuable lessons can be learnt from your unfortunate experience.

However on a positive note I was please to read that you found the Housekeeping service to be good, and especially enjoyed turndown.

I am sorry that you felt the lobby music was inappropriate and therefore you could not sit and relax in our lobby and public area spaces.

Customer service is critical to our business; therefore we really appreciate you taking the time to highlight your concerns to us, allowing us the opportunity to review our standard of service and procedures.

We hope you would choose to stay with us again, as we would love the opportunity to show you that we are capable of delivering the 5 star service you expected from your initial visit.

Victoria Tidboald