“Good value at central London hotel”

The Royal Horseguards
Ranked #113 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Excellent stay at The Royal Horseguards hotel which was very conveniently located in Whitehall Place, within easy walking distance of Trafalgar Square, Houses of Parliament, South Bank etc

Reception service was excellent and the young male receptionist was extremely helpful, accommodating our request for a 'Room with a View' and printing off our boat trip passes which we had omitted to do.

Breakfast was ok but perhaps a little more explanation was required of the menu, eg no-one pointed out that some items had to be ordered (hash browns, porridge etc!)

We had afternoon tea in the lounge - quite nice but not overwhelming. It would have been nice to have been offered fresh tea. Scones were more like biscuits but overall we would stay again at the price we paid through Great Hotel Breaks.

It was our anniversary and we had a little platter with some petit fours and sweets as a welcome gift - a nice touch

Room Tip: Ask for a room at level 5 or above and a river view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelLondon, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review with regards to your recent stay with us at the Royal Horseguards Hotel and once again congratulations on your anniversary to you both.

We are indeed located in a fabulous location and are lucky enough to have most of London on our doorstep! I am glad that you liked your room and that you made use of the little extra touches that are standard in all rooms.

I was especially pleased to read your comments that you found the Reception staff to be excellent and this makes us feel so proud to have such lovely comments from our guests.

I was disappointed to hear that you found our afternoon tea not been overwhelming; as we do normally receive fantastic comments for our afternoon tea where we had been also been awarded The Tea Guild award of the year for 2013. We do try our very best to keep all of our guests happy and I hope that you would try our afternoon tea once again.

We look forward to being able to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

There are newer reviews for The Royal Horseguards

Reviewed August 5, 2013

We subscribed to the Amazon Offer of a 5 course taster menu. The food was excellent, although I have to say that the service was somewhat laboured, in fairness the staff asked when we arrived whether we had theatre bookings or anywhere that we needed to be. The waiters were very affable and took the time to speak to you and make sure that everything was ok. so we were not ignored it just seemed that there extremely long pauses between each course and it wasn't overly busy when we arrived. I would have been extremely unhappy had I paid full price for this.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank susan p
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2013

I was disappointed to hear that their had been some down falls with regards to your dinner booking in our 1212 restaurant and that you felt that had you have paid full price you would have left feeling extremely unhappy.

Please be assured that I have shared your comments with our Restaurant Manager and our Executive chef who wish also pass on their apologies. I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Hotel again in the future, so that we may prove that we do strive to achieve a high service standard and make sure that you and your guest will have a wonderful time.

Please do feel free to contact Sergio Polizzi, our restaurant manager should you wish to discuss any of these points in more detail.

Kind Regards,

Toby Phillips
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed August 5, 2013

A great hotel situated within a couple of minutes walk to Trafalgar Square.

When we arrived at 11am, we were told our room was not ready, but they offered to take our luggage and take it to the room and call when it was ready. We had a walk around and an early lunch and returned to enquire, and they had just cleared a lovely room for us. We were in room 420, an upgrade up to an executive double as we booked with the AMEX stay more rate.

What a room! Fantastic. I've stayed in many a pokey room in central London. This was definitely not one of them! A super size bed, which rates among the best I have slept in, two easy chairs with a drinks table, a nice desk and plenty of storage.

The bathroom was also superb - a bath with a TV at one ed and a separate power shower. Lots of goodies too. The first time I have ever made use of a free sewing kit! :)

We also had a free breakfast included. As it was a night away, we didn't really want to go down when it came to morning, so I went and asked if I could grab some things to take up. They obliged by getting me a tub and a tray and I went and helped my self. Very nice indeed, with lots of variety.

Check out was easy - a word of warning though. If you booked with Trivago, check if you have already paid or not as I thought we had but it was a credit card validation.

All in all, a super hotel, fantastically located for sightseeing.

Room Tip: River View. Executive doubles are worth the upgrade.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Pugie_Boy

I am delighted to read this fantastic review regarding your recent stay with us at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. I know our location is just great if you are here to visit the sights that London has to offer.

The entire team is so proud to hear that the service provided was most helpful. We do try to match the needs of our guests with our rooms and I am glad that the team were able to accommodate your request and that it was nice to hear that the sewing kit came in handy to you.

I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Hotel again in the future, so that we once again can ensure that you have a relaxing time and another 5 star experience to make you feel at home away from home.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

I very much enjoyed my stay at The Royal Horseguards in July. I had 2 rooms for my family of 4. Both rooms were spacious and were very comfortable. Both rooms were facing the side street with no view. They were very quiet and we all slept well. The bathrooms were large (mine had 2 sinks, the other room, only 1) with separate showers and bathtub. Housekeeping was superb. The concierge(s) were very helpful with local stores and restaurants. Location of this hotel is wonderful - walkable to many tourist attractions. Breakfast was O.K. When I return to London, I would most likely stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank travel6768

It was wonderful to read your review regarding your stay at The Royal Horseguards. It is such a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found all staff you encountered to be helpful.

Our aim is deliver the service that our guests so rightfully expect these days from a leading 5 star hotel. The hotels location is truly amazing, and so close to many of London’s top attractions

We would love to have you return to stay with us in your future visits to London.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed August 4, 2013

I visited The Horseguards Hotel this afternoon with my husband and two children for afternoon tea. The hotel was beautiful, there was a lovely atmosphere with a harpist playing in the background. We arrived early but this was not a problem, the staff could not have being more accommodating. We were presented with a beautiful afternoon tea, we were offered more sandwiches and the children brought additional drinks. The staff could not have being more professional or friendly. Would definitely recommend as a little treat!!!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank LornaB_11
HotelLondon, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Wow! Thank you for such a glowing review! We are very proud of our tea guild award winning afternoon tea and are constantly improving the experience, so it is wonderful to hear such praise! I’m so glad your children enjoyed the tea as well, we love having families in the hotel and innovating menus to a younger palate. Our Harpist Isabella Maria who you heard playing during your tea is so talented, and certainly creates a tranquil and soothing ambiance, I will certainly pass on your compliments to both Isabella and the service team that looked after you so well.

Kind Regards
Joanne Todd
Pastry Manager

Reviewed August 4, 2013

It is probably 20 years since I last stayed at this hotel. It was always my favourite. I took a trip back with my young daughters for their first trip to London. Nothing has changed since I was last there, and that is a good thing. It is a quiet and unassuming hotel fabulously situated for all of the sights. Close to Buckingham Palace, Downing Street, Horseguards Parade, Trafalgar Square, Westminster, the London Eye, and the river boats that can take you to such places as the Tower of London. Being in Whitehall it is tucked away in a quiet area but so close to the action. It is a very friendly place to take your children. The staff are lovely. We all loved it. If there was a grumble it was that having booked a King Suite - the second most expensive - I was quite disappointed at how small the room was. Having said that, I would certainly go back.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for posting such a wonderful review of our hotel. Your description of our hotel and the location is more than we could ask for, although we should thank our Victorian ancestors for a lot of it!! But I am most delighted to read that you found our staff provided wonderful service throughout your stay.

I was a bit disappointed that to hear that you did find the room small, all our rooms do vary in size since we occupy a grade II listed building thus meaning unfortunately we cannot make many changes to the layout of the building, however please contact us directly when you come back to London so that we can arrange a lovely Executive King room for you.

We pride ourselves on the service that we offer our guests, but it is still a joy to hear when we have got it right!

We can’t wait to be able to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

.....no clear "yes" or "no" answer here......To begin.......I was always greeted at the front entrance by a uniformed doorman who was friendly and helpful. (During my stay one of the doormen went running up the street to find a taxi for me since none were coming to the hotel quickly.) Reception staff was efficient, highly professional, and unflappable. The Concierge desk was always busy and could have used more than one person most of the time. The lobby was nicely done and there was a long gallery-type area, going up some steps, where High Tea was served from 2:00-6:00 daily. The tea and sandwiches/pastries were superb! My mention of food and beverages provides a perfect segway to tell you what turned out to be the "high note" of my stay at the Royal Horseguards... it was the breakfast buffet....truly the BEST breakfast experience that I have ever had in all my travels! The choices and variety of offerings was AMAZING and delicious, including: several types of breads (croissants, rolls, French bread); cheeses; jams; pastries; juices; fresh fruits of all kinds; dry cereals; meats-hot and cold; eggs cooked to your choice; and much more. The wait staff was excellent as well. NOTE: another reviewer said that the breakfast at this hotel was "shabby". Trust me, that reviewer couldn't have been at the same Royal Horseguards breakfast buffet. To top it all off, the breakfast was included in the room rate!
It was in the area of my particular accommodations where the Horseguards fell quite short. First, I must say that the Housekeeping staff did a great job in servicing the room, and were always prompt with my few requests. Complimentary tea, coffee, and a continuous supply of bisquits was much appreciated. However.....the view from my moderately priced room was "no view". When I looked out, it felt like I imagine it would feel if one was looking up from the bottom of a well, searching for that ray of light at the top. (I never knew there were garden views, or rooms that looked out at the Thames, until I read other reviews.) To make matters worse, while my room and bath had an adequate amount of light fixtures, the light coming from these fixtures was not adequate, i.e. I couldn't read or put on make-up easily. Hairblowers are provided in most good European hotels and B&Bs. The one provided in this room was firmly attached to a desk drawer next to the bed, and had a VERY short cord so that when I went to blow my hair, I had to stoop down. This prevented me from being able to look in the mirror to see what I was doing. I called down to Reception, then Housekeeping, and was told that there were NO unattached hairblowers in the whole hotel! (That doesn't sound correct for a hotel with "Royal" in its name.) A word about the bathroom.....while the floor and towel bar were heated (winter perks), and there was a TV and phone in the room, my shower was in a tub that had very high sides, making it hard to get in and out of...and it had a shower curtain that, no matter what I tried, couldn't prevent the shower water from flowing onto the floor. This "flood" was a nightly occurrence. To be fair, other family members had a room with "some" natural light, and a shower enclosed with a glass door. ..."the luck of the drawer", I guess.
So, was I treated like royalty this visit?....to be honest, not really. However, if the reader decides to try this hotel, make sure your accommodations are in the"superior+" catagory. That way you'll probably get a glass shower door, a longer cord on your hairblower, bright room lighting and, best of all, a room with a view.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Gail R
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2013

Thank you for providing such a incredibly in depth review following your recent stay with us at The Royal Horseguards Hotel, feedback such as your own is critical to the nature of our business and provides us with both ways to improve on downfalls in the level of service we offer our guests as well as an indication of areas where we are getting things right and satisfying our guests every need.

I was pleased to read that in general you found all staff throughout your staff to be accommodating, professional and highly efficient and in particular the Doormen and Housekeeping staff. I know that your comment regarding the breakfast in the hotel being the best that you have ever had has already been circulated throughout the entire Food & Beverage department as they have been working extremely hard throughout the last few weeks to improve the breakfast offering.

I was disappointed to read your comments regarding some of the features in the room that you did not find particularly functional and have asked the Head Housekeeper and Maintenance Manager to look into addressing these issues. I can only apologise that these issues were not resolved during your stay and can assure you that measures will be put into place to ensure a timely resolution.

I only wish that you had have brought this to the attention of one of the Guest Relations Team during your stay as they would have been more than happy to offer and show you alternative rooms to ensure that you left feeling Royally treated.

We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Kind Regards