The Arch London(London)
$198
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Savings alert! 38% below average rates

The price you found is 38% lower than this hotel's average rate of $319/night.

$180
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of $200/night.

Park International Hotel(London)(Great Value!)
$105
  • Bar/Lounge
$283
$259
  • Restaurant
Strand Palace Hotel(London)(Great Value!)
$148
$258
Chesterfield
5,155 results
All reviewslondon eyeembankment tube stationtrafalgar squareriver viewroyal horse guardsheated floorsdowning streetbig benafternoon teaheated towel rackunderfloor heatingbeautiful hotelcharing crossstar hotelcovent gardenturn down servicemajor attractions
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I visited The Horseguards Hotel this afternoon with my husband and two children for afternoon tea. The hotel was beautiful, there was a lovely atmosphere with a harpist playing in the background. We arrived early but this was not a problem, the staff could not have being more accommodating. We were presented with a beautiful afternoon tea, we were offered more sandwiches and the children brought additional drinks. The staff could not have being more professional or friendly. Would definitely recommend as a little treat!!!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank LornaB_11
HotelLondon, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Wow! Thank you for such a glowing review! We are very proud of our tea guild award winning afternoon tea and are constantly improving the experience, so it is wonderful to hear such praise! I’m so glad your children enjoyed the tea as well, we love having families in the hotel and innovating menus to a younger palate. Our Harpist Isabella Maria who you heard playing during your tea is so talented, and certainly creates a tranquil and soothing ambiance, I will certainly pass on your compliments to both Isabella and the service team that looked after you so well.

Joanne Todd
Pastry Manager

Reviewed August 4, 2013

It is probably 20 years since I last stayed at this hotel. It was always my favourite. I took a trip back with my young daughters for their first trip to London. Nothing has changed since I was last there, and that is a good thing. It is a quiet and unassuming hotel fabulously situated for all of the sights. Close to Buckingham Palace, Downing Street, Horseguards Parade, Trafalgar Square, Westminster, the London Eye, and the river boats that can take you to such places as the Tower of London. Being in Whitehall it is tucked away in a quiet area but so close to the action. It is a very friendly place to take your children. The staff are lovely. We all loved it. If there was a grumble it was that having booked a King Suite - the second most expensive - I was quite disappointed at how small the room was. Having said that, I would certainly go back.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
HotelLondon, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2013

Thank you for posting such a wonderful review of our hotel. Your description of our hotel and the location is more than we could ask for, although we should thank our Victorian ancestors for a lot of it!! But I am most delighted to read that you found our staff provided wonderful service throughout your stay.

I was a bit disappointed that to hear that you did find the room small, all our rooms do vary in size since we occupy a grade II listed building thus meaning unfortunately we cannot make many changes to the layout of the building, however please contact us directly when you come back to London so that we can arrange a lovely Executive King room for you.

We pride ourselves on the service that we offer our guests, but it is still a joy to hear when we have got it right!

We can’t wait to be able to welcome you back very soon.

Kind regards,

Victoria Tidboald
Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed August 3, 2013

.....no clear "yes" or "no" answer here......To begin.......I was always greeted at the front entrance by a uniformed doorman who was friendly and helpful. (During my stay one of the doormen went running up the street to find a taxi for me since none were coming to the hotel quickly.) Reception staff was efficient, highly professional, and unflappable. The Concierge desk was always busy and could have used more than one person most of the time. The lobby was nicely done and there was a long gallery-type area, going up some steps, where High Tea was served from 2:00-6:00 daily. The tea and sandwiches/pastries were superb! My mention of food and beverages provides a perfect segway to tell you what turned out to be the "high note" of my stay at the Royal Horseguards... it was the breakfast buffet....truly the BEST breakfast experience that I have ever had in all my travels! The choices and variety of offerings was AMAZING and delicious, including: several types of breads (croissants, rolls, French bread); cheeses; jams; pastries; juices; fresh fruits of all kinds; dry cereals; meats-hot and cold; eggs cooked to your choice; and much more. The wait staff was excellent as well. NOTE: another reviewer said that the breakfast at this hotel was "shabby". Trust me, that reviewer couldn't have been at the same Royal Horseguards breakfast buffet. To top it all off, the breakfast was included in the room rate!
It was in the area of my particular accommodations where the Horseguards fell quite short. First, I must say that the Housekeeping staff did a great job in servicing the room, and were always prompt with my few requests. Complimentary tea, coffee, and a continuous supply of bisquits was much appreciated. However.....the view from my moderately priced room was "no view". When I looked out, it felt like I imagine it would feel if one was looking up from the bottom of a well, searching for that ray of light at the top. (I never knew there were garden views, or rooms that looked out at the Thames, until I read other reviews.) To make matters worse, while my room and bath had an adequate amount of light fixtures, the light coming from these fixtures was not adequate, i.e. I couldn't read or put on make-up easily. Hairblowers are provided in most good European hotels and B&Bs. The one provided in this room was firmly attached to a desk drawer next to the bed, and had a VERY short cord so that when I went to blow my hair, I had to stoop down. This prevented me from being able to look in the mirror to see what I was doing. I called down to Reception, then Housekeeping, and was told that there were NO unattached hairblowers in the whole hotel! (That doesn't sound correct for a hotel with "Royal" in its name.) A word about the bathroom.....while the floor and towel bar were heated (winter perks), and there was a TV and phone in the room, my shower was in a tub that had very high sides, making it hard to get in and out of...and it had a shower curtain that, no matter what I tried, couldn't prevent the shower water from flowing onto the floor. This "flood" was a nightly occurrence. To be fair, other family members had a room with "some" natural light, and a shower enclosed with a glass door. ..."the luck of the drawer", I guess.
So, was I treated like royalty this visit?....to be honest, not really. However, if the reader decides to try this hotel, make sure your accommodations are in the"superior+" catagory. That way you'll probably get a glass shower door, a longer cord on your hairblower, bright room lighting and, best of all, a room with a view.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Gail R
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2013

Thank you for providing such a incredibly in depth review following your recent stay with us at The Royal Horseguards Hotel, feedback such as your own is critical to the nature of our business and provides us with both ways to improve on downfalls in the level of service we offer our guests as well as an indication of areas where we are getting things right and satisfying our guests every need.

I was pleased to read that in general you found all staff throughout your staff to be accommodating, professional and highly efficient and in particular the Doormen and Housekeeping staff. I know that your comment regarding the breakfast in the hotel being the best that you have ever had has already been circulated throughout the entire Food & Beverage department as they have been working extremely hard throughout the last few weeks to improve the breakfast offering.

I was disappointed to read your comments regarding some of the features in the room that you did not find particularly functional and have asked the Head Housekeeper and Maintenance Manager to look into addressing these issues. I can only apologise that these issues were not resolved during your stay and can assure you that measures will be put into place to ensure a timely resolution.

I only wish that you had have brought this to the attention of one of the Guest Relations Team during your stay as they would have been more than happy to offer and show you alternative rooms to ensure that you left feeling Royally treated.

We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Toby Phillips
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Family of 3 with a 5 year old child and this hotel was the perfect location for us. 5-10 minute walk for us from Trafalgar Square, Leicester square, Covent Garden, south bank ( London eye, dungeons , aquarium, ) Horse guards parade, Houses of parliament, big ben, downing street, Westminster abbey , st James park ( to Buckingham palace ). Embankment tube is across the road and gets you to most places without changing , there are gardens outside the hotel which are beautiful, you get views across the Thames if you pay, we were on floor 4 which was blocked by trees but had a gap with a clear view of the shard . Breakfast was fine,it was typical choice but not sure it was worth the £20 per person
per day. The rooms were very clean and elegant and the beds were very comfy. The bathroom was one of the best we have seen with 2 showers, one over bath and one separate with the added bonus of a tv! The towels and dressing gowns were very large and soft and a real treat to have Elemis toiletries. Lovely bonus to have a "proper" tea pot and coffee pot in the room . The reception area is really pleasant too , elegant without being too imposing. Staff pleasant and attentive. Overall I would definatly stay here again, we paid £800 for 3 nights for a Thames view double executive room bed and breakfast and it was worth the money as what does £800 get you in London ??!! It didn't feel as if we were in central London as it was quiet and pretty and ft very safe with our 5 year old daughter .

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. I was very pleased to hear that you found our location to be perfect for yourself and your family. As you said it is only a 5-10 minute walk from many of the major sights and enables our guests to make the most of their time in London.

I was delighted to read that you found the bathroom to be one of the best you have ever seen and that the added bonus of a TV in the shower as well as the Elemis products was a surprise for you. Our Rooms Division Manager works extremely hard to ensure that not only do our guests have everything they could possibly need in the rooms but also that these amenities are of a high quality such as the proper tea and coffee pots.

We are already looking forward to welcoming you back very soon and next time you will have to try one of our luxurious Executive King River view rooms to get the added bonus of the incredible views of London.

Toby Phillips
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed July 31, 2013

I spent 8 days at the hotel with my husband during the last week of April. My husband has spent over 45 days at this hotel over the last year as he travels often for business and it is his company's preferred hotel for business travel (he doesn't have the option to change hotels)--he confirmed that our stay was fairly representative of his experience alone as well.

During the London Marathon, the hotel was poorly managed and swarmed "day guests". The hallway outside of our room was filled with marathon runners waiting in lines to take showers, with high piles of dirty towels on the hallway floors (my toddler son tripped over a pile as we were on our way out), and ripped pieces of paper taped to the doorways and hallway walls. I don't understand why they didn't at least keep the dirty towels in the rooms. It was really quite disgusting.

The food is severely disappointing. The breakfast consists of stale pastry items, a disappointing selection of English breakfast items, and suboptimal (under/over ripe) fruit. We had breakfast across the bridge at the London Mariott County Hall (right near Big Ben) and it blew the Royal Horseguards breakfast out of the water--fresher items, greater selection, more appetizing presentation, and it was half the price. Don't waste your money on the breakfast buffet here.

This hotel is NOT easy for someone using a stroller--there are about 4 stairs to get up to the elevator bank. Although several of the bellman were very proactive in helping us get up and down with my 2 year old son (I was 6 months pregnant at the time), there were also several that were less than helpful and would watch as we struggled up and down multiple times a day.

The rooms are tiny and cramped, although decorated nicely with very comfortable beds. I ordered room service often, and specifically requested that they leave the food outside of the door because my toddler son would be sleeping, but they continuously ignored this request and would loudly knock or ring resulting in waking him up and severely inconveniencing our evening routine.

The location is convenient as it is just a block or so from the Embankment tube station and within walking distance to many restaurants, shops, parks, and sights.

On two occasions, the housekeepers managed to ruin our laundry. On the first occasion, they destroyed several children's items. On the second occasion they shrank something that I specifically asked to be cleaned with cold water and not put in the dryer. The housekeeper was extremely apologetic and even went so far as to go out and spend her own money to replace the initial childrens items that were damage. She was very nice I felt bad reporting it, so I didn't, but this type of thing should not happen at a five star hotel, especially when you are paying upwards of 5-7GBP PER LAUNDRY ITEM. It's just unacceptable.

Lastly, but probably most importantly to note, during our stay our IPad was stolen from our room. Although we contacted the hotel management immediately about the issue, it took over a week for the management to conduct an "investigation" (we would have called police immediately had we known their efforts would have been so delayed, but over one week later this option seemed less than useful). Of course, no one who went into our room admitted to taking the IPad and it never turned up. It had invaluable video of our son taking his first steps which we will never recover. I understand it is ultimately our fault for leaving an unlocked IPad in our room, but when staying in what is supposedly a 5 star hotel in a city as great as London, stealing is not an issue that someone frequently worries about. Lesson learned: lock up your valuables if you are staying here.

Bottom line is this is not a 5 star hotel. We travel frequently and have been to many 5 stars and this just doesn't compare. Maybe 4 star, but that is questionable. I would recommend looking into the Marriot County Hall as an alternative for a similar level of service/quality of stay, but lower price.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank afetherston
HotelLondon, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

I am sorry to read that you and your family did not enjoy your stay with us. I was aware of some of the issues you experienced, but unfortunately not all. But of course I would like to extend my apologies for all the problems you encountered during your time with us.

I was aware that you contacted us regarding your iPad which you believe you left in your room following your departure. I would like assure you that a thorough investigation did take place, and all the documentation was passed to our Head of Security for him to review.

I am sorry that our Valet ruined 2 of your baby’s bibs when washing them. She is extremely sorry, and as you say went out and purchased replacements by way of an apology. It was a genuine error and we are all sorry that this occurred.

It is also disappointing to hear that Room Service did not follow your instruction to leave the tray outside the room. I can understand your frustration and I will ensure your feedback it shared and learned from by the team.

I agree there are a number of stairs within the building it can be hard to move around with a stroller or buggy. Although it is great to hear that some of the Concierge and porters assisted you, I was sorry to read that it was not all. Please be assured that the necessary training will take place to ensure this is not case in the future.

I hope you will stay with us again, as we would love the opportunity to restore your faith in us and our hotel. If you choose to come back, please let me know.

Once again, I am sorry for the poor experience that you had with us.

Kind regards,