We stayed at this lovely historical hotel April 26th - 29th as our post cruise venture in London. Although, Royal Horseguards is completely refurbishing the hotels first 4 floors, it did NOT have an impact on our stay.
The hotel does look like the pictures described on the website, however, the room we were in #645 was showing need of repair in places, but, overall it was an excellent room and very clean. Our room looked just like the Deluxe room shown on the website (decor in red) with the exception we had two twin beds instead of 1 dbl bed. Including a huge bathroom that would make 2 of what we had home in the states. Also, we had an entry room where the dbl. closets were located, then a door into the actual bedroom. The room includes 2 free bottles of water (daily), coffee (instant little tube sticks), cookies, hot chocolate, tea, and a tea pot and a very fast pot that heats water so fast you don't have time to open your coffee packet..hehe. Also there is a mini-bar, but no alcohol just cokes, water, juice and nuts.
Our maid did tell us that if we come back next year we will see totally all new decor and all the updates will be completed. I guess old things do wear out, so we had no problem except for one. That was a very warm room when we checked in and it seemed the a/c wasn't working. It's very antiquated. Since the french doors do not open, we demanded they unlock them so we could get air from outside in to the room. They obliged us in doing so and it was fabulous cool air and we loved it. No need for a/c after that. As a matter of fact the reason they keep the french doors locked is, as they say, because they don't want anyone to jump off the balconies. Hummmm~
The view from our room was overlooking the Thames and it was awesome. Now don't think all the Deluxe twin rooms are as large as ours, Our friends were six doors down from us and theirs had the same view, but, a much smaller room with no sofa and no french doors, just windows and a small bathroom.
Would we stay here again? You betcha, in a heartbeat !! We were just a round the corner (5 min. walk) from Embankment tube station, ½ mile from the Parliament, Big Ben and Westminister Abbey. Trafalgar Sq. was an 8 minute walk depending on how fast you walked. Leichester Sq. was 2 mins. beyond Trafalgar and Buckingham Palace was about a mile from our hotel and a pleasant walk through St. James Park made it even more delightful.
Breakfast wasn't included in our stay this trip. However, at £17.50 GBP pp we didn't think it was worth that price. We could walk up toward Trafalgar and get a full breakfast for as little as 4.99GBPpp.
We found a great little restaurant just before you cross the street to Trafalgar called "Frankies". Its an Italian pizza place and the prices were really cheap....for GBP, that is. No it was NOT fine dining, but very cute and well worth the nostalgia of pictures all over the walls with Italian entertainers and very good menu to boot. Cute clean place. Another very nice pub is "Clarance". It's also on that same street to Trafalgar. You'll like this one.
One last thing! You must do the London Eye. Now for those that are afraid of heights, believe me my husband is one of those, he went up and said, I can't believe this did not bother me one bit. Some one asked me if each one of the cubicles swung like a ferris wheel. NO they are stationary and you can freely walk around or sit down on a bench in the middle of the cube.
Hope you take the opportunity in staying at the Royal Horseguards....next year it will be even grandeur than now. That will be hard to beat.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This majestic five-star hotel presides over the River Thames. From glittering chandeliers to contemporary design, this central hotel near the London Eye reflects a proud heritage. Expect more, with free wi-fi throughout the hotel, fully refurbished Victorian splendour, award-winning dining, afternoon tea and sumptuous river view suites. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Cancelon, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Orbitz, TravelUp, Agoda, HotelsforEveryone, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Royal Horseguards reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Horseguards Hotel London
- Royal Horseguards London
- The Royal Horseguards London, England