“Can see why it has awards”

The Royal Horseguards
Ranked #111 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Munich, Germany
“Can see why it has awards”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Stayed here Friday night. Incredibly close to Embankment tube, easy check in, fireplace was on in reception, doormen opening doors before you get to door, decent room (shame didnt get a view of Thames, but it was so dark and rainy anyhow!), nice touches such as ipod docking station, tv over bath, Elemis toiletries, rain shower, robes, electronic do not disturb sign .. and bed was huge and comfy.
Didnt eat here as had things to do in town, but there were plenty of people in the restaurant, not like some hotels.
I can't put my finger on it exactly, but you just got the feeling that this place really runs smoothly and efficiently - maybe thats the difficult thing. Can imagine that people always come back. Very good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
HotelLondon, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
It is wonderful to read that based on this experience, you can understand why people choose to return to us. I think the charm of the hotel, is not only the beautiful building itself but the relaxed, welcoming and friendly atmosphere within. All the staff truly care about that they do and I think our guests can feel this. As you had such a great stay with us, we hope you will be one of those guests that choose to return!

Thank you for taking the time to write this frank review about your experience, we really do appreciate it.

We hope to see you soon!

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,247)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We chose the Royal Horseguards as part of a hotel/theatre break. A good location for the West End theatres, but what a fabulous view! Like Travelat50, we too had a room on the 8th floor overlooking the Embankment, with panoramic views of the River Thames, the London Eye, St Paul's, and about 5 bridges. The room was not the biggest we have stayed in, but it was big enough, very clean, comfortable and well appointed, with the high quality fixtures you would expect of a 5 star hotel. But that view...

Reception staff were quick, smart, polite, and efficient, and the ambience in public areas was somehow less impersonal than some of the larger 5 star London hotels we've used in the past. The (self-service) breakfast was well laid out, with no complaints about the quality of the food.

We would recommend this hotel and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor overlooking the river.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the fabulous review!! I am delighted that you found our location suitable for your plans to got to the theatre while you were in London.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the view from your room. As you say the rooms on the 8th floor are not the largest, but this is definitely compensated by the view. I still find it amazing that you can see so many landmarks of London from one of our river view rooms. I am pleased that you found your room clean, comfortable and in keeping of the standards you expect from 5 star hotels. It is also good to hear that breakfast met with your approval.

It is great to hear the reception staff described as efficient and profession, and they will be proud to read your comments.

Thank you for recommending us, we look forward to you staying again.

Montreal
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I stayed at the Royal Horseguards for 4 nights. It is very well located, close to the Embankment subway station and close walking distance to Tragalfar Square and the Thames. We had a room on the 8th floor with a fabulous view of the Thames, the London Eye and St. Paul's. The breakfast was good but the reception staff at the restaurant a bit stiff as they seated us where they wanted us seated and were not happy when we preferred another spot. All in all, no real complaints and just praise for the location, the cleanliness and the comfort of the room.

Room Tip: If possible, try to get a room on a higher floor with a view on the Thames.
1 Thank Travelat50
HotelLondon, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank you for praising the location, cleanliness and comfort of the hotel. It is always great to hear when we have got it right! However I was sorry to read your comments about the breakfast hosts. This is not the sort of reaction you should have received and the Restaurant Manager will be feeding back your comments to them. Our view and location are second to none, so why stay any where else!

Come back and see us soon.

Gig Harbor, Washington
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We were fortunate enough to have a room with a Thames view, and what a view it was - St Paul's by night in the distance, the Eye close up. The room was thoughtfully fitted out with everyone one could want while away. I had ruined my socket adaptor and they thoughtfully brought one for me to use during my stay. An evening newspaper was delivered each evening, a welcome touch for relaxing before the night's end.

Service was thoughtful and helpful, someone was always there to assist when we needed help of any kind, from reception to concierge (who got us some great theater tickets and dinner reservations!) to housekeeping. The coffee in the Lounge was the best we had during our stay. And we're coffee snobs!

The location is perfect - a few steps away from the Embankment Tube, on the Circle and District, so easy access to anywhere. Many places we would simply walk. This will be our London hotel of choice from now on.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Wow what a wonderful review, but I have to say my favourite bit was about the service!! It is always wonderful to hear the team appreciated for the effort they make to ensure every guest feels special.

The view is stunning isn't it? It is sometimes hard to comprehend that you can view so many of the key landmarks of London from your bedroom window. But like you, I think my favourite vista is a night, with all the pretty lights. And then by day you can walk to so many of the key attractions of this fantastic city.

Thank you for making us you preferred choice of hotel when staying in London. We are honour and can't wait for you to come back and visit us again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Located in a very pleasant part of London very close to the River Thames, the building architecture is magnificent in the traditional sense and internal decor very welcoming.

The Doorman greeted me with a smile and helped me to the reception area where Erika efficiently checked me in and directed me to my room which was on the first floor, the room was elegant and well furnished, the lighting was controlled by a clever dimming system, the desk was extremely comfortable for extended working, with a sensible number of power points and very good WiFi.

My bed was extremely comfortable and did not dominate the room, my bathroom was very nice and well supplied with all manner of lotions, shampoos and the like, decent size shower and separate bath, with sufficient towels and dressing gowns supplied.

Great night sleep and the room way very quiet and well ventilated.

Breakfast was a buffet style with some menu options, the items available on the buffet were fresh,well presented and tasted very good.

I also had tea in the lounge with some colleagues and again the service was attentive and the tea first class.

Great location for business and private guests, as the transport links and tourist attractions are very close by.

Thank you for a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
HotelLondon, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you for a fabulous and detailed review! It is wonderful to be described as beyond 5 stars!!

I am delighted to read that you found the staff to be efficient, professional and attentive during your stay with us. Erika in particular was pleased to read your comments and has taken great pride in being personally mentioned.

It is great to hear that you found your room equipped with everything you needed for a first class stay. A goods night' sleep is so important, and I am pleased that our beds and the room delivered.

As you discovered, the lounge is a great venue to meet colleagues or friends for a coffee or tea and a catch up. Afternoon tea or a snack is also highly recommended, but after an extensive breakfast from our buffet, it is not always possible to fit anything else in or necessary!

We hope you will return to us again soon, for another pleasant stay.

Latvia
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Room which I was given was extremely small - definitely not suitable for two guests. Didn't had bath - just shower, The place around sink is so tiny, so no place where to really put cosmetics, etc.
It was a hassle to find hairdryer, figure out how all those 4 showers work as well as room lights. Windows of the room also were not clean.
Everything else however was good: staff, location, breakfast.
Overall I have to admit that I much more favor recently renovated and modern hotels.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd floor with view on Thames, are visible from the street (small park) and as windows...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
HotelLondon, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
I am sorry to read that you were dissatisfied with the size of your room during your recent stay with us. Being such an old building, our rooms do very in size and layout. As the property is Grade II listed, we were unable to alter the room sizes in the refurbishment. I was also upset to read that you found some of the facilities in the room hard to operate or locate. We do have cards in the rooms offering simple instructions to assist guests with becoming familiar with the services and facilities on offer.

Please accept my apologies for the windows not being clean in your room. Our Head of Housekeeping is ensuring this is rectified straight away.

However on a positive note, I was pleased to read that you found the service to be excellent, along with the breakfast and location of the hotel.

We hope you will choose to return to us again as we would like to restore your faith in our hotel. Please contact us direct so we can ensure a more suitable room is allocated.

Milan, Italy
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We are certain the Royal Horseguards was at one point a hotel in its prime. At the moment, we think it is struggling to compete with the new hotels that have opened in the area, as such, we have noticed a drop in their room rates.

The location is very central and with a local Tube just 150m away, you are a stones throw from the London Eye and a tube ride to everything else.

The rooms are well appointed in an older English style and don't offer the most modern furnishings. Most rooms we stayed in were clean and while everything worked, it is clear that the rooms have seen better days.

Depending on which room you select, you will have rooms that are small than a normal hotel size to larger suite size rooms. The bathrooms in most of the rooms are small and definitely not for two or more (thinking of families) trying to use it at the same time.

We only had breakfast in the hotel and felt that it was standard buffet fare with nothing special. If it isn't included in your room rate, we wouldn't pay extra for it.

While the staff definitely tried to offer good service we were surprised to see a "class system" exist between the staff. Despite no other guests in the lobby to attend to, when asked by another older guest for the reservation staff to assist lifting a suitcase up the stairs, they were told they would call a bellboy. When the bellboy didn't come for 10 minutes, they asked whether he could assist - the response was blunt - "NO". So we ended up helping the guest ourselves.

The maze of rooms and small corridors and stairs also makes it difficult to move your own suitcases around from lobby to room or vice versa, so we recommend that you plan ahead and use the bellboys.

Would we return - most likely not, with other hotels in the area being far more competitive in service and quality.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank ForeignGuardian
Thank you for taking the time to write your recent review.

Whilst I am pleased that you had a pleasant stay with us, it concerns and saddens me to learn that you felt that some of our rooms were below par and had seen better days. The hotel underwent a complete refurbishment only 4 years ago, and all rooms were renovated during this programme.

It is however your comments with regards to our Concierge team that concern me the most. There is certainly not any kind of 'class' or 'hierarchy' system in place. I must apologise that you were not attended to immediately for assistance with your luggage, as any member of our team should have been happy to assist you. I have discussed your comments with our Head Concierge, who is reviewing your feedback with his team and ensuring immediate action is being taken so future guests do not experience such poor customer service.

I am sorry that you left somewhat disappointed on this occasion, but should you wish to visit us again then please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly so we can personally take care of your reservation.