“Outstanding Location, Great Hotel”

The Royal Horseguards
Ranked #118 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed September 25, 2012

A Guoman Hotel and part of the Preferred Hotel Group, the hotel is right on the Thames facing London's County Hall and the London Eye. Rooms are upgraded, full of electronics, complimentary WiFi. Staff very responsive and friendly. Adjacent to many government offices and near multiple tourist attractions. It's location puts the hotel at the locus of many nice walks. One direction is Big Ben and Parliament plus Westminster Abbey. Another direction is the Horseguards parade ground, St. James Park, Buckingham Palace. The other direction is Trafalgar Square and Piccadilly Circus. Simply, the location is outstanding. The hotel is very comfortable and quiet. We will go back again. Restaurants and bar are pretty pricey.

Room Tip: Executive King Room with View are good rooms with good value. Go for a high floor away from Charing...
3  Thank KARXPRT
HotelLondon, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2012

Thank you very much for such a great review. I am pleased to know that you found our location outstanding and convenient for you to visit the breath-taking sights of Buckingham Palace, Big Ben & Trafalgar Square.

I am glad to hear that the room accomodated your every need. I am always delighted to hear comments from guests regarding our staff members, as they take pride in the service they offer and work hard to ensure our guests expectations are being met.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not so distant future, when the Concierge team can advise you of some more glorious walks in our local area.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We were really impressed with our stay at the Horseguards from the moment we checked in (early) we found the reception and concierge team to be most helpful. We left our bags and headed on out armed with an umbrella courtesy of the hotel which definitely came in handy. We returned to find out we had been upgraded due to availability which was nice and we were very impressed with our room - better than the other 5 star hotel we had recently stayed in.
We had been told about the hotels' wonderful bar and enjoyed the cocktails we chose although the barman could have been a little more proactive in terms of service/chatter as we were left with menus for quite some time, apart from this we enjoyed the ambiance and comfort.
We had a very comfortable stay, excellent sized room and bathroom with great facilities, we will definitely be back!

2  Thank EBTLbisou

I am delighted to read that you were impressed with your stay with us. It is great to hear that you find our rooms better than other 5 star properties you have stayed in recently - we will be sure to spread the word!!!

We are always happy to store luggage for guests if their room is not ready on check in, and I am pleased that you found the reception and concierge staff helpful and friendly. I was disappointed to read your comments about the bar staff and I will be sure to share your feedback with them.

It's excellent to hear that you will return to us, we just hope it is soon!!

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I have stayed in five or six different hotels in London, some better than others, but after my experience there this August, the Royal Horseguards will always be my choice in the future. The location is fantastic (two blocks from Embankment underground station, but also within easy walking distance of most everywhere I wanted to go!), the view from my window was like something in a Hollywood movie, the room was wonderfully comfortable with every possible amenity, the full English breakfast included variety to suit every taste, and the desk and concierge were extremely helpful with my every question and request.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Thames! (Would have to be on the south side of the hotel and prob...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Margaret G
HotelLondon, Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, it is fantastic to read such a glowing account of your time with us and even more so to hear we will be your new choice of hotel in London!

The location really is very special, and many Hollywood films have filmed in this area. As you mentioned we are within easy walking distance of many of the popular sights that London has to offer.

I am delighted to hear that the room met your every need and that the breakfast was to your liking. I have passed on your comments to the Reception and Concierge Desks who always take pleasure in receiving comments such as your own.

We look forward to welcoming your return in the not so distant future.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Elegant and refined big hotel well placed in London. From the Doorman to the Reception staff everything went smoothly and efficiently. The room was large and the bed and pillows were very comfortable. The only thing I didn't like was the bright light from the two telephones and the fridge. Telephones these days seem to always have an LCD strip which gives off too much light in the dark. I appreciate the Hotel is not able to control these things but I do find that light wakes me up in the middle of the night. I found it helpful to use a guide book draped over the top of the phone to kill the light! After that, I slept well! The breakfast was a help-yourself buffet, as you would expect, and it was perfectly adequate. The staff were attentive and very efficient, bustling around at top speed! We were tired when we checked in so I was unable to take in all the instructions given at Reception and found that I couldn't work the light switches on getting into the room! Eventually we worked it out but does it have to be so complicated? Four buttons gave different "lighting effects" and I didn't find out until I discovered the Room Guide card the next morning! Doh! In fact, having a shower was a bit stressful too as the taps had strange symbols on them I couldn't work it out. Like I said I was tired! Unfortunately the shower door had not been hung properly so the bathroom was very wet after a shower as the water came through the bottom of the door. I was also a bit surprised that when we got into the room there was only one bathrobe. They knew there were two of us so as I didn't want to be charged for a missing bathrobe I did inform Housekeeping and they quickly brought us an extra one.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased that you found your room large and the bed and pillows comfortable, but I was disappointed to read that you were disturbed by the light coming from the phones and mini bar in the room. However I am pleased that you found a simple solution to the problem, and you were then able to get a good night's sleep. Please do not apologies for being tired and struggling with the lights and the shower controls, long distant flights have a tendency to make all of us confused and groggy. Please accept my apology for the shower leaking over the bathroom floor, this certainly should not have happened and I have asked out Maintenance Manager to get the issue addressed.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed breakfast, as that with a good night's sleep will set you for the day ahead. But I am particularly pleased that you found the staff attentive and efficient in all areas of the hotel. I will be sure to pass on your comments.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

2nd stay here this year whilst in London & it was excellent again.. Great overall experience ,from door staff welcome to room , quality all the way through.. The building has great government history , right at the heart of Whitehall , a superb location and particularly on a weekend it is so quiet and homely. A true 5 star hotel & a fantastic tourist experience .

1  Thank Tony F

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review. The history with the building dates back to the 1800's with it being taking over during both world wars by MI5 & MI6.

Reviews such as your own are a testimant to all the hard work that the departments in the hotel put in to provide a great 5 star experience and are a real pleasure to receive.

We hope to welcome you back for your 3rd stay this year in the not so distant future, so we can continue to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed one night for business. Paid extortionate rate (even for London). Given a large, but internal room.

Room facilities were good (not great - cracked basin in the bathroom), and one of the most comfortable beds I've slept in for a long time!

But to have a hotel of this rating and standard to have rooms without external windows is very poor. I don't need a view, but access to fresh air is a must!! If I had been staying more than one night I would have had to change rooms - it would have been far too claustrophobic.

Breakfast was not included - and was very expensive. Had I realised breakfast was not included at the time of booking, I would have grabbed something to eat outside the hotel!

The public areas, including the bar are really well decorated, to a high standard and the bar is comfortable and cosy, whilst being stylish and sumptuous! Great selection of gins too!

Room Tip: Get a room with opening, external windows!!!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank jingbah

I am sorry that you were checked in to a internal room for your stay with us. If the hotel is busy and we need to allocate these rooms, we do try to ensure they are given to guests who are only with us for one night, however there are some guests who prefer them as they are generally the larger rooms in that category and they find them quieter and therefore more restful. Great to hear that you found the bed so comfortable. I was disappointed to hear that you could not mark the room facilities as great due to a cracked sink in you room. This will be replaced, so hope you will be able to mark us higher next time!

Thank you for saying that you found the public areas, in particular the bar to be stylish and sumptuous. I share you delight in settling down to a gin or two in a comfy and cosy chair!!!

We hope you will choose to return to us again in the future.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Location is perfect 3 minutes from charing cross, beautiful architecture. Room was spacious but no view at all. Tv in shower, furnishing fit for 5*. Cleanliness and finishing exquisite. Room service and service needs little finesse and etiquette. But would go again.

Room Tip: Executive, try to find one with a view
2  Thank Nouslefamille