“Ideal place to stay for business or pleasure.”

The Royal Horseguards
Ranked #119 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed January 31, 2012

My only gripe in my previous review is that we were not offered toast at breakfast time.Which was most odd in an establishment such as this. This may seem petty but there you go. I can safely say the service at breakfast time on subsequent visits has been nothing short of exemplary as was the food.
Its a pity I cannot review all my subsequent stays as the rating would have been the same as this one. However Trip Advisor only allow one review every three months which to be fair I guess this prevents rogue reviews both good and bad.
The hotel has become my ONLY choice when in London.Ok so its only a very short walk to work but I would stay here even it was a 30 minute cab ride away from work.
I would like to focus on a visit in November last year.I arrived at the hotel at 3.45 pm to check in only to be told my room was not ready.The gentleman on reception said could I come back in around 45 minutes as he had a very special room for me.
I explained all I wanted was the room I had booked as I had had a busy day and particularly as my wife was unable to join me I was not really bothered for an upgrade and said I was more than happy for him to offer it to another guest.
He very politely insisted I had the upgrade and that I would not be dissappointed. So off I went into November night had a quick drink and went back.
Then gentleman immediately gave me my key card as soon as he saw me return to the reception area.
I wasnt really ready for what happened next.Basically I was staying in a mini house on the ninth floor! Breathtaking.Superb. No more needs to be said.
Oh, ok I guess it does. I had been given a suite overlooking the river that was spotlessly clean with every facility you should need for a stay in a hotel.Pure Magic.
I really could not be bothered going out for something to eat (which is unusual) so given my surroundings I did something I NEVER do and ordered room service food.
The order was taken by an extremley pleasant gentleman and he apologised that it would be 20 minutes.No apology needed my friend I need to work out how the bath works ! (please don`t see that as a negative point there was nothing wrong with it. It was fanatstic but took me while to get my head around exactly how to enjoy it with the whirlpool jets flooding my bathroom)
Sure enough 20 minutes later my food arrived piping hot and to restaurant quality.Good choice.
The gentleman who delivered my food was a real pleasure to meet if only for a couple of minutes.Ultra pleasant and a smile that went from ear to ear. I am rubbish with names but I do believe he wore a badge bearing a Thai flag.Pat on the back required for him.
I guess most visitors to the hotel will be visiting for other reasons such as a treat for a loved one or even on holiday.
Trust me it is fantastic and you get what you pay for.Oh and for the cynics out there that think it is my company credit card that is picking up the bill you are correct.However as I am self employed I pay it anyway.
Notable places of interest nearby are Trafalgar Square, The National Gallery, Whitehall, Leicester Square,The London Eye and Fortnum & Mason on Piccadilly to name but a few.
As it is coming up to that time of year again I cannot think of a better place to stay to treat a loved one for Valentines than here.So all you loved up young (and old) couples escape the predicted winter weather (probably won`t happen anyway) and treat yourself to a night here.
I will be back in February and hopefully my wife will meet me after work this time to enjoy this gem of a place.
One thing I recommend you do at least once during your stay assuming you are ok with steps is take the staircase back up to your required floor. I find it completely stunning.
One last thing.When I checked out the same gentleman who looked after me previously asked If I had liked my room.I said it was fine but wasted on me.He laughed and I guess I lied.

Room Tip: If you can get a room with a river view on a reasonably high floor then go for it.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
7  Thank Bob1998
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2012

I must admit that your outstanding comments have really made me smile! Thank you so much for taking the time to go into such detail and also apologies (on behalf of Trip Advisor!) that you are unable to post more than just one review at a time!

Seeing as we are now your ONLY choice of hotel whilst in London, I am thrilled that you had such a fantastic stay back in November. I know exactly the room you stayed in and it does indeed offer pretty much everything!

With regards to Room Service, I will personally ensure that Jun Lee the Team Member concerned learns of your comments also.

The main staircase that you refer to is very special, and always a pleasure to wear the carpet out on! However have you seen the longest free standing staircase in Europe at our hotel? It is located in One Whitehall Place, which is our conference area located behind reception. Trust me you will not be disappointed!.

We will be honored to have both your and wife stay with again in February, do get in touch if you need us to help with any of your arrangements and I do hope we get .the chance to meet.

Anna-Marie Dowling

Write a ReviewReviews (4,875)

Reviewed January 30, 2012

Very Grand Hotel situated on the River Thames; Ideally located for all the central London attractions but still very quiet at night. We were upgarded to an executive double on arrival so naturally we were delighted! Good sized room with a feeling of luxury. Breakfast was simple but still of good quality. Staff all very helpful and not "stuffy" (as can be the case in some upmarket hotels); especially the porters, reception and doormen, complete with top hat and tails. Really enjoyed our stay and would like to come back sometime soon.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a River view.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple

Your comments are lovely, thank you. We do pride ourselves on always being friendly and welcoming which is something we strive to achieve.

The river view rooms are highly recommended and offer some of the best views. So the next time you are planning to come back, why not treat yourselves to one of the most iconic views of London .

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed January 30, 2012

Stayed here for one night at the weekend. Despite being a grand Whitehall type building overlooking the River Thames and being minutes from Trafalgar Square, Charing Cross, Covent Garden etc, it feels hidden and quiet and discrete. The interior of the hotel has been relatively recently renovated and feels equally grand, plush and yet also relaxed. The staff were all hugely polite and courteous and attentive.
Our room on the 4th floor was reasonably sized and very comfortable. It had all that we needed, including all the wi-fi and ipod dock stuff etc, a very powerful shower, a comfortable bed, nice magazines to read and SKY sports - perfect for watching the cricket before going out in the evening. They had a weekend offer for breakfast the next day for £15 per person, and the buffet was large and generous and very fresh and appealing. All in all I couldn't fault the hotel. It's perhaps not the most exciting of hotels - you're perhaps unlikely to see a celebrity as you might at some of the more well-known named hotels in London, and it hasn't got that trendy bustling boutique vibe either, but its solid, attentive and very very comfortable and I'd definitely look at spending further nights there again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple

I am delighted the read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and would consider returning. As you quite rightly said we are a hidden gem in the bustling center of London. We are so conveniently located for many of the sights and attractions of the city, but also with the benefit of not having to cope with all the noise and congestion of a big city.

We do pride ourselves by being able to deliver the little extra touches that make a room homely and our guests feel relaxed, but without any of the formality.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed January 30, 2012

This hotel was incredible, booked it on a top secret hotels and we couldn't have got better. Everyone was really helpful at the hotel, the hairdryer in our room had broken and when I dialled down to reception we had a replacement delivered to the room within 10 minutes. The room was beautiful with a view of the river and the London eye. It was a great location, within walking distance of Covent Garden, Buckingham Palace, Leicester Square etc. Would recommend 100%

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your most generous comments. Despite your hairdryer not working initially, I am pleased to learn that this was resolved immediately. We do indeed have a fabulous location and are so happy to learn that your stay was perfect. Thank you for the 100% recommendation, it means a lot to us!

Reviewed January 30, 2012

Previously stayed here and was impressed so booked again whilst in London - We were not disappointed,excellent position for sight-seeing,immaculate room,a brilliant cooked Full Engluish breakfast, service friendly and efficient - hard to see what not to like about this hotel and far better than others in similar price bracket.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business

Welcome back! We are thrilled that this is now your second trip and that you yet again had a fabulous stay. We do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you again for your third visit soon!

Reviewed January 29, 2012

I have just returned here from a 2 night theatre break.

WOW

This hotel is everything and more....class, endulgance, glamour...you name it, this hotel is it.

We had an upgraded room to our package which overlooked the London Eye. The staff were very helpful and nothing was too much trouble

Perfect location, fantastic staff and easily one of Londons best hotels

Room Tip: ask for a thames view room
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple

Your comments are fantastic – Thank You!
We always strive to achieve customer satisfaction on every stay and are delighted that your stay was faultless. We are very proud of our hotel and it is always nice when some appreciates the effort that the whole team put in.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed January 29, 2012

As we were planning to go to One Man Two Guvnors on the Strand and Prokofiev at the Royal Festival Hall, the RHG was ideally situated about halfway between with a fairly easy walk to both and so we decided to make another return visit (our fourth).
We were lucky to get a good deal on an executive king room with river view, although this did require prepayment with no refund on cancellation.
Check in was as efficient as always and the room was pleasant. Great view, but as the rail bridge and Embankment were not too far, the level of noise does, in our view, require earplugs to get a good nights sleep, although the late night drinks may have helped with this. The bed was nice and firm and the room had all the usual facilities you would expect from a good quality hotel.
Breakfast was very good, plenty of choice and nicely cooked. We only ate a club sandwich in the lounge after the concert and did not eat in the restaurant in the evening. Having on earlier visits previously had a club sandwich each after a night out, we learned our lesson and shared one, which was sufficient.
The only criticism we have is that having asked for a paper on Saturday, it did not include the additional sections so we missed our usual Saturday Telegraph crossword challenge. Perhaps in future will need to remember to but our own.
Overall a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: The rooms without a river view are quieter, but the rooms with a river view do have a great view
1  Thank CharlieCB

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us again. You are right; we do have a most enviable location both in terms of attractions and transportation nearby. It’s great to hear that this visit helped confirm the high opinion you gained from your previous 3 visits.

We are delighted that you found our Lounge menu to be enjoyable. And as regular guests, you are aware of our generous portion sizes. On your next visit I hope you try our highly recommend 1212 Restaurant for Lunch or Dinner. It is a wonderful experience.

May I apologise for the supplements not being available in your newspaper on the Saturday however rest assured that you do not need to bring your own in future - we will make sure the supplements are there next time!.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.