“Great Location and Great Staff”

The Royal Horseguards
Ranked #119 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed November 1, 2011

The location was perfect. You can walk around the hotel and can see a lot of things.. The room was really nice and comfortable..The staffs were great, very accommodating especially with our 2 year old daughter.. Jun Lee Cacapit was our server for the entire stay..He was very patient and always ready for us.. My daughter loves the hot chocolate they serve everyday.. Will definitely go back to this hotel again..

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2011

I was delighted to read your kind words about your recent visit to The Royal Horseguards Hotel. The location of the hotel enables guests to walk to many of London’s popular attractions. I will be pleased to pass on your comments to the entire team here at The Royal Horseguards Hotel, especially Jun Lee who was recently awarded Employee of the Quarter.

Come back and see us soon, we will have a hot chocolate waiting for your daughter!

Anna-Marie Dowling

Write a ReviewReviews (4,824)

Reviewed October 30, 2011

This was our first trip to london for a special anniversary and the hotel staff treated us like royalty. Upon check-in we had a special dessert waiting for us in our room which was quite good and included many exotic fruits. The room itself is exquisite, very spacious with comfortable firm king-size bed and a separate desk and couch sitting areas. the bathroom was wonderful with floor and towel heaters and had loads of counter-space which was very nice. There was good closet space with a large safe enough for a 15" laptop to fit easily. The location could not have been better, we could walk to just about everything and the Embankment tube station is extremely close by. The area was very secure as the Prime Minister lives nearby and the streets were virtually empty surrounding the hotel at night. The hotel concierge also sent us a special bottle of wine for our anniversary and provided excellent advice on dining, attractions and arranged our transportation to the airport. Breakfast at the hotel is wonderful and you can get a great traditional English breakfast as well as a great selection of fruits, cheeses and pastries. The bar is probably one of the best places to get crafted cocktails in London and we sampled many of their special cocktails and had to go back another night to try more. The bar staff was wonderful and also provided a great history of the hotel as well as some London insights. We truly felt so special staying at this hotel and highly recommend it to anyone wanting a great London experience with 5-star service and quality.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2011

Thank you very much for your kind words in your review, it is always a pleasure to hear such great feedback from our guests. I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and all the facilities available in your room. The hotel location is certainly excellent and so close to so many of London’s top attractions.
It is a joy to hear that the Concierge team were very accommodating during your stay and able to offer good advice on attractions and restaurants in the local area. I am also pleased that you had a chance to try most of our popular cocktails in the bar, and the bar staff were so helpful with the history of the hotel, I will most certainly pass your kind comments to both the Concierge team and the Bar staff. The team and I are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regard,

Reviewed October 30, 2011

Arrived at the the hotel in a bad mood for reasons not relevant to the review.So the sight of 8 people at reception presumably waiting to check in did not help the situation.However it turns out they were waiting for housekeeping to sort out their rooms and rather than take a seat in the fantastic lobby they just decided to camp at the reception desk.
I had requested an early check in of 2pm and I guess the room was ready for then as it was ready at approx 2.40 pm when I arrived.
Check in was dealt with very professionally and politely. I explained to the gentleman checking me in that my wife was meeting me later. He very kindly offered to keep a room key card for her when she arrived.
I then proceeded to go to the room on the 6th floor. I took the lift and my heart sank.It was filthy with stains all up the sides and I thought to myself where on earth have I come.I then realised that like an idiot I had somehow taken the service lift and not the residents lift!
Anyway the room. Wow. Fantastic. Terrific view over the river just opposite the London Eye.The room was spotlessly clean and bathroom, as you would expect, stacked with goodies that people like me tend to forget.Razor, toothbrush etc.
The bed was amazing very comfortable and particularly large.
The Breakfast the following morning was excellent if you like a good traditional english however my wife who prefers fresh home cooked breads and pastries and a wide range of yoghurt and cereals was a little dissapointed.
Only niggle we can honestly say we had was that we were not offered any toast.What all that was about I have no idea. We found it most odd.We may well have declined but it would have been nice to be asked. So sorry, young serving person, you have prevented us giving the hotel an excellent rating.
Would definately come back though and would not hesitate in recommending to others.
Unfortunately as the stay was brief we are unable to comment on the restaurant or the helpfullness of the concierge etc.

Room Tip: If you can get a room on a higher floor with view over the river then go for it. The view is great p...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

Many thanks for your recent review following your stay at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. I was sorry to read about the start of your day and the sight of the people waiting at the reception desk. We do always try to accommodate early arrival requests, and I was delighted to hear we could on this occasion. Wow, what a wonderful review for our rooms, I am sure that the reception team will be delighted with your kind comments when they read your review.

It is such a pleasure to read that you thought so highly of your room and that the extras came into good use. I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed our hearty breakfast, but it’s such a shame to hear that your wife was disappointed with our Continental selection. You most certainly should have been offered toast, and I have asked the Restaurant Manager to personally oversee some corrective training with his staff to ensure this service shortfall does not occur again in the restaurant.

It is great news to hear that you would recommend us and we can not wait to welcome you back in person the next time you are in London.

Anne-Marie Dowling

Reviewed October 30, 2011

We were made to feel at home straight way with courteous and friendly assistance at reception. While the rooms were not big they were more than adequate . I don't know if it was us but the shower/ bath system seem to be very confusing - maybe jet lag . Good aray of extras shampoos,shoe shine, mendng kit etc? The breakfast was great with a huge variety from the usual cereals and muesli to luscious smoked salmon and mackerel and cheeses. It tended to be a large breakfast and a small lunch! The hotel was within easy walking distance to the usual places of interest: Covent gardens,west end and was close to a delightful walk along the embankment to the Globe theatre past some delightful cafes & bistros serving some very good ales and English food. Pricey - yes but value for money and after a hectic day, it was very welcome sight.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

I am extremely pleased to read that your stay was very enjoyable with us. It is always nice to read that we make people feel as if they were at home. Some of our showers can be a little tricky to operate but next time, just ask and we will willingly show you how to get the best out of our rain fall showers. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your breakfast and sampled the variety of different foods available. There is so much in the local area to see and sounds like you certainly made the most of your time in London.
It was a pleasure to read your kind comments and your wonderful feedback – we do hope you come back and see us soon!

Reviewed October 28, 2011

Managed to get an affordable deal with late rooms. No view but room was very well appointed And hotel generally very English. Breakfast seemed an expensive extra so we ate elsewhere. Very well located with lots of attractions in walking distance. Bed only a double, not kingsize which we would have expected in 5 star.

1  Thank ElisabethBSC

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at the Royal Horseguards Hotel – I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. We do have a variety of different beds sizes available in our rooms, so the next time you stay do request the size you would prefer and we will do our utmost to accommodate your request.

You are right, our location is fantastic. There is so much to see and do in the local area, and all within walking distance! We hope to see you again, so you can discover a little bit more about London and us.

Reviewed October 27, 2011

We had the fortune to come stay at this hotel, after a mix up by the original hotel we booked with led them to relocate us to this hotel. As the original hotel had been booked on a deal and was 4*, to then be moved here was an incredible upgrade. We had been in London on a conference since early in the morning and I was tired and concerned that this new hotel would treat us as a minor inconvenience given that we had no direct obligation to them. However, I could not have been more wrong. From the moment I was helped out of the taxi by the attentive door staff, to the courteous manner in which we were checked in, to the insistence of the concierge to carry our suitcases I was completely awed by the impeccable service offered by this hotel.

Arriving at our room was another awe inspiring experience. Although not a large room, it was beautifully decorated with many modern facilities – most notably the television in the bathroom! A little disappointing I could never get the sound to work on this, although I assume this is a fault on my own tech understanding. There were lots of luxury items available in the room as standard which contributed to the feeling of extravagance and indulgence. Not having ever stayed in a 5* hotel before I felt like I was in Pretty Woman.

Breakfast was another triumph. I am quite set in my ways when I stay at hotels and always have the continental breakfast, which can generally be limited. Not so here! The breakfast selection was so big that the continental section had a different room to the cooked. And there were some unusual combinations I would not have thought would be offered at breakfast, such as gherkins and olives. Over the two days I sampled smoked salmon, mackerel, croissant, gherkins, cheddar, feta and brie cheeses, bread roll, toast (served to the table by the waiting staff), bagel, fruit, two different kinds of yoghurt, cereal and pastries.

I felt that the downside to the amazing service was the general harassed demeanour of the staff, as they seemed so eager to please us all the time but at times were a little over attentive, and from the conversations we saw took place between the staff it seemed like there was a general tension between staff. Overall though, this was an amazing place to stay and one I feel very lucky to have stayed in.

1  Thank Nik-n-Chris
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2011

I was delighted to read your kind words about your recent visit to The Royal Horseguards Hotel. I am very pleased to see that you have experienced exceptional service levels throughout your stay. I do apologise that you felt our team were a little over attentive at times – it is always a delicate balance to give the right levels of service without being over the top or not attentive enough and we will review your feedback with the team so that it can be used as constructive feedback to demonstrate how it is perceived when we occasionally do not get it right. In order for our guests to depart with that kind of an impression of the hotel, we know every department and every member of staff needs to deliver constant and impeccable service and clearly on this occasion on the whole they did!!

I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Hotel again in the future, so that we once again can ensure that you have a relaxing time and another 5 star experience to make you feel at home away from home.

Reviewed October 27, 2011

My wife and I visited the nights of October 7 through the 10th. This hotel is truly first class without being ostentatious. It is ideally located on the Thames River where you can take a day or evening cruise to see many historical sites, incuding during the day, to the Tower of London continuing on to St. Paul's and Piccadilly Square, etc. by taxi.
Within 15 minutes, you will be able to walk to Embankment Place (underground/pier), over the foot bridge to the Eye, along the river to Westminister Bridge all the time seeing Big Ben and Westminster Abbey. Another 15 minutes will take you over the Westminster foot bridge and on past Big Ben, Parliament and Westminster Abbey. From here you are about a 15 minute walk from the hotel. Location, lcoation, location!
The staff at this hotel is outstanding in every way. Notable mentions are for Silva and Lianne, Reception, "Nash" and Phillip as Doorman and Concierge, respectively, and Huseyin in the breakfast room. Breakfast was outstanding if somewhat on the expensive side.

Room Tip: Request a king bed and a room on the river side, upper floor.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for your recent review regarding your stay with us at the Royal Horseguards Hotel. I am absolutely delighted that you enjoyed a first class stay with us and even more so that you received outstanding service from the entire team. The hotel truly is in an amazing location, very close to all the popular attractions and yet nicely tucked away from all the hustle bustle of the city. I will proudly forward your kind comments to the entire team, especially the team members that you have mentioned by name.

I sincerely hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the not so distant future.