We had the fortune to come stay at this hotel, after a mix up by the original hotel we booked with led them to relocate us to this hotel. As the original hotel had been booked on a deal and was 4*, to then be moved here was an incredible upgrade. We had been in London on a conference since early in the morning and I was tired and concerned that this new hotel would treat us as a minor inconvenience given that we had no direct obligation to them. However, I could not have been more wrong. From the moment I was helped out of the taxi by the attentive door staff, to the courteous manner in which we were checked in, to the insistence of the concierge to carry our suitcases I was completely awed by the impeccable service offered by this hotel.
Arriving at our room was another awe inspiring experience. Although not a large room, it was beautifully decorated with many modern facilities – most notably the television in the bathroom! A little disappointing I could never get the sound to work on this, although I assume this is a fault on my own tech understanding. There were lots of luxury items available in the room as standard which contributed to the feeling of extravagance and indulgence. Not having ever stayed in a 5* hotel before I felt like I was in Pretty Woman.
Breakfast was another triumph. I am quite set in my ways when I stay at hotels and always have the continental breakfast, which can generally be limited. Not so here! The breakfast selection was so big that the continental section had a different room to the cooked. And there were some unusual combinations I would not have thought would be offered at breakfast, such as gherkins and olives. Over the two days I sampled smoked salmon, mackerel, croissant, gherkins, cheddar, feta and brie cheeses, bread roll, toast (served to the table by the waiting staff), bagel, fruit, two different kinds of yoghurt, cereal and pastries.
I felt that the downside to the amazing service was the general harassed demeanour of the staff, as they seemed so eager to please us all the time but at times were a little over attentive, and from the conversations we saw took place between the staff it seemed like there was a general tension between staff. Overall though, this was an amazing place to stay and one I feel very lucky to have stayed in.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This majestic five-star hotel presides over the River Thames. From glittering chandeliers to contemporary design, this central hotel near the London Eye reflects a proud heritage. Expect more, with free wi-fi throughout the hotel, fully refurbished Victorian splendour, award-winning dining, afternoon tea and sumptuous river view suites. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, HotelsforEveryone, Agoda, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Royal Horseguards reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Horseguards Hotel London
- Royal Horseguards London
- The Royal Horseguards London, England