“Amazing upgrade”

Ranked #99 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Amazing upgrade”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2011

We had the fortune to come stay at this hotel, after a mix up by the original hotel we booked with led them to relocate us to this hotel. As the original hotel had been booked on a deal and was 4*, to then be moved here was an incredible upgrade. We had been in London on a conference since early in the morning and I was tired and concerned that this new hotel would treat us as a minor inconvenience given that we had no direct obligation to them. However, I could not have been more wrong. From the moment I was helped out of the taxi by the attentive door staff, to the courteous manner in which we were checked in, to the insistence of the concierge to carry our suitcases I was completely awed by the impeccable service offered by this hotel.

Arriving at our room was another awe inspiring experience. Although not a large room, it was beautifully decorated with many modern facilities – most notably the television in the bathroom! A little disappointing I could never get the sound to work on this, although I assume this is a fault on my own tech understanding. There were lots of luxury items available in the room as standard which contributed to the feeling of extravagance and indulgence. Not having ever stayed in a 5* hotel before I felt like I was in Pretty Woman.

Breakfast was another triumph. I am quite set in my ways when I stay at hotels and always have the continental breakfast, which can generally be limited. Not so here! The breakfast selection was so big that the continental section had a different room to the cooked. And there were some unusual combinations I would not have thought would be offered at breakfast, such as gherkins and olives. Over the two days I sampled smoked salmon, mackerel, croissant, gherkins, cheddar, feta and brie cheeses, bread roll, toast (served to the table by the waiting staff), bagel, fruit, two different kinds of yoghurt, cereal and pastries.

I felt that the downside to the amazing service was the general harassed demeanour of the staff, as they seemed so eager to please us all the time but at times were a little over attentive, and from the conversations we saw took place between the staff it seemed like there was a general tension between staff. Overall though, this was an amazing place to stay and one I feel very lucky to have stayed in.

1 Thank Nik-n-Chris
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, October 31, 2011
I was delighted to read your kind words about your recent visit to The Royal Horseguards Hotel. I am very pleased to see that you have experienced exceptional service levels throughout your stay. I do apologise that you felt our team were a little over attentive at times – it is always a delicate balance to give the right levels of service without being over the top or not attentive enough and we will review your feedback with the team so that it can be used as constructive feedback to demonstrate how it is perceived when we occasionally do not get it right. In order for our guests to depart with that kind of an impression of the hotel, we know every department and every member of staff needs to deliver constant and impeccable service and clearly on this occasion on the whole they did!!

I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Hotel again in the future, so that we once again can ensure that you have a relaxing time and another 5 star experience to make you feel at home away from home.

Kind regards,
Anna-Marie Dowling

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,219)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2011

My wife and I visited the nights of October 7 through the 10th. This hotel is truly first class without being ostentatious. It is ideally located on the Thames River where you can take a day or evening cruise to see many historical sites, incuding during the day, to the Tower of London continuing on to St. Paul's and Piccadilly Square, etc. by taxi.
Within 15 minutes, you will be able to walk to Embankment Place (underground/pier), over the foot bridge to the Eye, along the river to Westminister Bridge all the time seeing Big Ben and Westminster Abbey. Another 15 minutes will take you over the Westminster foot bridge and on past Big Ben, Parliament and Westminster Abbey. From here you are about a 15 minute walk from the hotel. Location, lcoation, location!
The staff at this hotel is outstanding in every way. Notable mentions are for Silva and Lianne, Reception, "Nash" and Phillip as Doorman and Concierge, respectively, and Huseyin in the breakfast room. Breakfast was outstanding if somewhat on the expensive side.

Room Tip: Request a king bed and a room on the river side, upper floor.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your recent review regarding your stay with us at the Royal Horseguards Hotel. I am absolutely delighted that you enjoyed a first class stay with us and even more so that you received outstanding service from the entire team. The hotel truly is in an amazing location, very close to all the popular attractions and yet nicely tucked away from all the hustle bustle of the city. I will proudly forward your kind comments to the entire team, especially the team members that you have mentioned by name.

I sincerely hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the not so distant future.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2011

Can't beat the location. Great view of the Thames and the London eye from our room. Ask for a room with a view! Nicely appointed spacious rooms, and friendly staff.
Would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for room with view of Thames and London Eye
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for reviewing your recent stay with us at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay with us. It is always recommended to book river view rooms at the time of making the reservation as they are very popular and are sometimes not available at the last moment.

Please do not hesitate to contact us directly if you require any assistance in planning your nest visit to London.

Daventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2011

I stayed last night and used the meeting facilities throughout the day. What an absolutely beautiful hotel...both inside and out.
My room was very comfortable and included a small but well designed bathroom, great lighting, lovely toiletries by Elemis and iPod connection for music.
The staff in The Equus Bar were excellent and made a great G & T, reception staff helpful and available, and the breakfast, although busy, was delicious, quick and came with the best pot of Assam tea I've ever had.
Definitely give it a try if you want somewhere with style and grandeur without too much pomp and ceremony.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the London Eye
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Korinsan11
I sincerely appreciate that you used the words style and grandeur to portray The Royal Horseguards Hotel. We have recently refurbished all the Food & Beverage areas and upgraded the breakfast offering therefore it is delightful to see that you enjoyed your experience so much. I will be certain to pass on your feedback to the entire team who will most definitely be proud to read your remarks.

I hope you think of us the next time you return to stay in London.

Thousand Oaks, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2011

My wife and I booked three nights for a holiday trip to London. We have stayed at the hotel on prior occasions while on business. In my opinion, this is the best hotel in the Westminster area and one of the best in London for the room rate level. The staff are friendly and helpful, rooms and bathrooms exceptional and the location ideal. The main dining room is easily a five star restaurant. We had a fabulous meal with first class service during our recent visit. The hotel sits on the Thames, across from the London Eye, and is within walking distance of most major London sites. The Embankment tube station is nearby for all other needs. Extraordinary value and a real gem in the heart of London.

• Stayed October 2011
I am very pleased to read your recent review with regards to your stay with us at The Royal Horseguards Hotel, especially that you have referred to us as one of the best in London and a gem. I was delighted that you enjoyed your dining experience and found the service and facilities in the hotel to the highest standard. I have passed on your feedback to the whole team here at the hotel and I am very proud that they are consistently providing the best service.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Royal Horseguards Hotel the next time you have a reason to stay overnight in London.

Kind regards,
Lancashire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2011

We stayed here for a special occasion over two nights. We were allocated a beautiful room with fantastic views of London, from our small balcony we could see the eye, big ben and a lovely view right across the Thames to St.Pauls.
Our room wasn't ready at check in, though we were early so our bags were taken to our room while we explored. A shame a promised phone call never happened to say our room was ready though...
Staff in all areas of the hotel were pleasant and attentive and given our room was so great - huge bed, lovely bathroom, toiletries etc and of course the view and room size - we would certainly not hesitate stay here again when we visit London.
The only down side for us was breakfast. It was included in our room rate, however, I be hard pushed to say I'd be happy to pay for it otherwise (£22.50pp) disappointing to say the least... Buffet style in a 5* hotel, limp bacon, underdone sausages, luke warm beans, soggy hash browns, stale coffee. Come on Royal Horseguards... You can do better.
Overall then... Stay here, it's beautiful and has a lovely relaxed atmosphere and tip-top decor throughout. Just don't look forward to your breakfast....

• Stayed October 2011
Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Royal Horseguards Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you thought us to celebrate your special occasion and hope that it was a memorable one. I will definitely pass on your kind comments to the entire team at the Hotel for the fantastic service you were provided with. I was very sorry to read that you were disappointed with your breakfast experience – it is not our usual standard as you can see from some of the previous reviews. I have reviewed your comments with Ben Purton our Executive Head Chef and he is going to discuss it with all the chefs that work on breakfast to ensure that our standards do not slip in this area again.

I do hope the breakfast experience will not deter you from using the Royal Horseguards again in the future and I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again on your next stay in London.

Leuven, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2011

We got a good deal trough our travel agent and tought : why not try a bit of luxery for our next visit to London ? And we were very pleased: large room, large bathroom, very clean, very good service. Everybody friendly and excellent breakfast. So very pleased. Only downside : bed was a bith small and we had no view at all. But i guess when you have a discount deal you can't ask for it all ! We try it again next time and see if they can keep up the standard profived.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for your wonderful review regarding your recent stay with us at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed a luxurious stay with us and that the service provided was excellent. We take pride in the standard of hospitality we provide and strive to improve on it with every passing day, therefore we aim to WOW you on your next visit to London. Due to the age of our building the rooms do vary in size - some of our rooms are inner facing (some clients like this as they are much quieter). There are also some very large rooms with beautiful views - but if a view is important to your stay it is always advisable to book this room type as they are in high demand and get booked up quite well in advance.

I sincerely hope we have a chance to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.