“Some rooms good, some rooms poor”

The Royal Horseguards
Ranked #112 of 1,069 Hotels in London
london, england
“Some rooms good, some rooms poor”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Fourth visit to this hotel. Great location, but rooms are very variable. This time my room was on the 9th floor, right next to an industrial extractor fan that ran all night! Very noisy.... Also, the breakfast offering is extremely bad value. Luke warm buffet food, and cereal from a bowl. Do yourself a favour and walk 5 minutes to one of the excellent cafes nearby.

Room Tip: Make sure you are allocated a suitable room
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank x229
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, August 1, 2011
Thank you for your comments, and as regular guest you are aware that our rooms vary not only in size and outlook due to the age of the building. The heritage of our building can prove challenging for us, when it comes to offering the perfect size and room aspect. But thank you for your patronage and your continued loyalty.

I am sorry to hear you find breakfast at the hotel poor value. Over the last few months we have made some considerable effort to improve the choice, content and layout of our breakfast buffet, to hopefully meet our guest expectations. It is especially nice being able to sit out on the Terrace at this time of year, and enjoy your morning tea or coffee in the fresh air while listening to Big Ben chime. But I have passed your comments on to our Executive Head Chef Ben Purton to ensure that the temperature of the breakfast buffets is consistently maintained at the correct temperature.

I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Kind regards,
Anna-Marie Dowling

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,260)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We have stayed at Horseguards four or five times over the years and have watched the progress of the renovations with keen interest. This trip at check-in we asked about the location/size of the room and found that availability allowed us to be upgraded to a Deluxe King with a river view. Perfect!
The room was just what we wanted (and should have booked).
The ground floor refurbishment has been done with great professionalism and we have enjoyed teh cocktail bar and restaurant. Much to our delight, the restaurant has picked up its game and presented most professionally at dinner, but also at breakfast.
We always come back to Horseguards both for the hotel and its proximity to the city - it is well within walking distance (8 minutes to Covent Garden).

Room Tip: Ask for a river view and an upgrade if available.
2 Thank LesW2020
Thank you for your warm words regarding your recent stay at the Royal Horseguards Hotel. As a very loyal customer you certainly have seen the transformation which the hotel has gone through over the last few years. You probably can imagine that it is always a bit of a challenge to refurbish such a beautiful building as ours, as you do not want to destroy the long lasting history and the character of it by modernising it too much.

I absolutely share your praise about our new Equus Bar and the One Twenty One Two Restaurant. Both are really comfortable places to finish of the day with either a mouth watering meal at the Restaurant, or with a cocktail at the Bar, prepared by our master cocktail maker Neil Millington and his team.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your views about The Royal Horseguards and your continued loyalty. The team and I are certainly looking forward to welcome you back in the very near future.

Kind regards,
Vacaville, California
Reviewed July 25, 2011

As a husband who wanted his wife, with a broken bone in her foot, to have great hotel service on her first trip to London, Royal Horseguards was 'as good as it gets'. It was selected after carefully comparing all the Trip Advisor reviews. Their lobby staff appear by magic to serve you, so that there a no delays to enjoying the City. Simply put - from Doormen to Concierge to Lounge Server - the service is remarkable. A "full English Breakfast" buffet was included; but the title does not describe the vast selection of berries, fresh cut fruits, and delicious offerings of eggs and meats. Our incredible view above the Thames, accross from, "The Eye", was only a modest upgrade. Royal Horseguards' great location along the embankment - two blocks from Westminster Abby and the Metro and River stations - meant we could boat to the Tower Station to visit the Crown Jewels. It was just a one block walk to two great Pubs (one traditional, one modern), a low fee currency exchange, and a Starbucks (Yeah)! In summary, we believe it ought to the the Number #1 listing. We offer this honest review, as thanks to Mr. Barnsley and Mr. Tatavarty, who accurately comforted us by email before our arrival by saying: "Don't worry, leave everything to us".

Room Tip: After booking, request a river view directly from the very accomodating hotel staff.
1 Thank clippercargojewelry
Thank you very much for taking the time to post this wonderful review about the Royal Horseguards Hotel. I am delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and even more so that the service was perfect. The hotel also has a beautiful Terrace on the river side where we have introduced a Barbeque night every Tuesday so hopefully you have a chance to enjoy this in the near future. I will most definitely pass on you very kind comments to the entire team especially Gary Barnsley and Srikanth Tatavarty.

I sincerely look forward to personally welcoming you back to the Royal Horseguards Hotel.

Reviewed July 24, 2011

Great location for Central London and South Bank

Comfortable rooms. Great (expensive) bar.

Breakfast buffet. Expensive and lomited

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank Scot_global
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, July 29, 2011
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us at the Royal Horseguards Hotel. I am glad that your visit was a comfortable one and sincerely hope the service matched the comfort levels of the hotel. Please be assured that we have recently updated our breakfast offering and refurbished all the Food & Beverage outlets but I will certainly pass on your comments to our Executive Chef and the Bar Manager. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel the next time you have reason to stay over night in London.

california
Reviewed July 22, 2011

Stayed here for 4 days with my teenage daughter and we were both pleased. The hotel is near Churchill War rooms, Embankment river bank stroll, Westminster, tube stops, double-decker bus tour stops, and Trafalgar. The interior is not as attractive as the exterior, but we prioritized the location, view, and comfort, with all of which we were satisfied. Our 8th floor room had view of the Eye and St. Pauls. Wireless provided though signal was weak. On your way to Trafalgar, walk toward Whitehall two blocks and you see the horse-mounted guards, who often have ceremonial changes. While one review had suggested that the website photos of the exterior were misleading, I found photos to be accurate; it is an attractive white building, but the hotel is only part of the block. The hotel faces on a small, quiet street. I did not hear street or party noise as had been mentioned in another review. Doormen are friendly, and helpful. The room interior was not too my taste--garish colors, ugly lamps-- but the room was comfortable and clean. Unlike some rooms in older buildings, there was more than enough space around the comfortable beds, a side sitting chair, two tables, and a desk with ample plugs. The bathroom had an in-shower TV, and lots of amenities. There is nothing particularly Londonish about the hotel's interior. The lobby and first floor are tacky modern- not to my taste, garish lucite ceiling lights - not the sort of wood-paneling that one expects in an older building, but the services and food are fine, with room to sit and chat in the looby and a bar open until 11. Breakfast is ample in variety (eggs, sausages, what passes for a waffle in London but not for my American daughter, fruits, pastries, cheeses, and oatmeal) served in 3 separate holiday-in-type rooms, which was better than if it had better than one large noisy room. Like most older buildings, the room-level hallways are not long corridors, but takes plenty of turns. The many doormen are happy to give advice and directions. While the doormen would approach guests to answer questions, they could not handle specific information on tours,etc. There appeared to be only one concierge on duty; he was often occupied, so if you want good concierge services, help with theatre tickets, rail tickers, etc., I would call ahead. There are computers distributed throughout the first floor. In sum, we were in London to see London, not the aesthetics of our hotel, and the Horseguards has one of the best locations, and comfortable rooms for that purpose.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank parent
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us at the Royal Horseguards Hotel. Our location in central London is second to none and I am delighted that you were able to walk to many of your chosen attractions from the hotel with your daughter.

I was sorry to read that the hotel style and décor was not to your taste or that the hotel did not give you the ambience of being in London. May I also apologize for the inconveniencies that you encountered with our complementary wi fi in your bedroom throughout your stay. We were experiencing some technical difficulties with our service provider BT Openzone with regards to the signal strength within the hotel during the time of your stay, although I appreciate this is little consolation to you now this issue has been rectified by BT Openzone and the hotel will continue to monitor the strength of the wi-fi signal to ensure that we are providing the service that is expected in the future.

The hotel has just appointed our New Head Concierge (Richard Williams). I have already discussed your comments with Richard and all points raised in your review will certainly be addressed. I was also delighted to read that the doormen on duty were able to offer you advice and directions as and when required throughout your stay. The Concierge team at the Hotel consists of 2 Golden Key Members who have a vast knowledge of London and the surrounding areas. In order to deliver correct and up to date advice on tours and specific information I would recommend to all guests to contact the Concierge directly either prior to arrival or during your stay.

I will also share your comments about Breakfast with the Chef and Breakfast staff, and I will personally speak to chef about the standard of our waffles not meeting your daughter’s satisfaction and we will endeavour to find a product that will suit American tastes in future!

I certainly hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Royal Horseguards Hotel the next time you are visiting London!

Kind Regards
Oxford
Reviewed July 19, 2011

My husband and I stayed here to meet friends and have a relaxing weekend in London. I booked an Executive King with View and was so disappointed with the room. Firstly, let me say that the staff were first class. The room was the smallest I have stayed in, the bathroom, tiny with the loo stuck in a inlay behind the door which, if you excuse the reference was that far away from the toilet roll you had to shall we say pre-plan.....

The view was, well would of bee good, but for the fact we were stuck in an attic room with 3 of the smallest windows I have ever seen that also required a person above 5'7" to look out of them. Location was great, rest of hotel superb and as I say some of the best staff I have ever had contact with. Don't think we will use next time as the room was a real let down.

2 Thank Helen/Steve
Thank you for your constructive review of the Royal Horseguards Hotel following your recent stay with us.

Thank you also for completing a survey form from the hotel’s own review programme which I believe you have been contacted directly by the Guest Relations Manager concerning your comments and a resolution as been agreed.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to feedback your views about your recent stay at our Hotel and I am delighted that you found the staff and service so exceptional. I do appreciate you taking the time to share you thoughts with us. As the hotel was built in the 19th century the rooms do all vary in size and shape hence why we have a number of different room categories, however following your feedback I will review whether we should change the category of the room you stayed in from an executive to a deluxe room so that we do not disappoint guests again in the future.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again at some point in the future.

Kind Regards
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 17, 2011

We stayed at The Royal Horseguards for one night before traveling to France and arrived very early in the morning. Our rooms were not ready so we accepted an upgrade of one room (though at a cost to us) to freshen up. This room was not much bigger than our booked room though had a view of the Thames.

The hotel had been beautifully restored and was in very good condition. Staff were on the whole friendly and helpful and made our stay enjoyable.

We were impressed with the location of the hotel - just around the corner from Trafalgar Square and on the Thames opposite the London Eye. We easily walked to central London sites including Westminster Abbey, Houses of Parliament and Buckingham Palace.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, July 22, 2011
Thank you very much for your kind review subsequent to your recent stay at The Royal Horseguards Hotel.

We always try our best to accommodate our guests as early as possible even if they arrive earlier than our advertised check in time. Depending on the Hotels occupancy we are occasionally able to upgrade our guests on a complimentary basis. It is always a challenge due to the very high occupancies we run at during the high season. It is not always possible for us to grant room upgrades free of charge, however I certainly hope that you did enjoy the view from your room.

I am delighted to hear that you have received a friendly and helpful service by all of staff members and I will be pleased to share your review with the team. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Royal Horseguards hotel again in the not too distant future.