“Excellent location, great hotel.”

The Royal Horseguards
Ranked #119 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 17, 2011

We stayed at The Royal Horseguards for one night before traveling to France and arrived very early in the morning. Our rooms were not ready so we accepted an upgrade of one room (though at a cost to us) to freshen up. This room was not much bigger than our booked room though had a view of the Thames.

The hotel had been beautifully restored and was in very good condition. Staff were on the whole friendly and helpful and made our stay enjoyable.

We were impressed with the location of the hotel - just around the corner from Trafalgar Square and on the Thames opposite the London Eye. We easily walked to central London sites including Westminster Abbey, Houses of Parliament and Buckingham Palace.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2011

Thank you very much for your kind review subsequent to your recent stay at The Royal Horseguards Hotel.

We always try our best to accommodate our guests as early as possible even if they arrive earlier than our advertised check in time. Depending on the Hotels occupancy we are occasionally able to upgrade our guests on a complimentary basis. It is always a challenge due to the very high occupancies we run at during the high season. It is not always possible for us to grant room upgrades free of charge, however I certainly hope that you did enjoy the view from your room.

I am delighted to hear that you have received a friendly and helpful service by all of staff members and I will be pleased to share your review with the team. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Royal Horseguards hotel again in the not too distant future.

Anna-Marie Dowling

Write a ReviewReviews (4,874)

Reviewed July 14, 2011

When we arrived at reception, we were greeted by receptionist, told to wait for him to answer the phone. After being ignored by other reception staff after a few minutes we checked in. Found our own way to the room, which was smelly (smoke) and dark (brick wall behind window ) so we couldn't open the window. We complained and we were moved to a better room, but still had a wall to look out onto but at least it was further away so that we had some day light. On checkout the same unhelpful unfriendly reception staff. All in all a disappointing stay, we were really looking forward to our stay here because of the reviews but we were very much let down. We had cocktails and dinner at the savoy this same evening which was poles apart from this hotel, they were friendly, welcoming and couldn't do enough for us at the savoy. I would say if you want to splash out on some where lovely to stay the savoy over this hotel. Location very good however great for theatre, and covent garden area.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Mrsmaccy
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2011

Many thanks for your review on your recent stay with us at the Royal Horseguards Hotel. I would like to extend my sincere apologies for the poor level of service you experienced at reception. Your evaluation has been reviewed with all the reception team that were on duty for you arrival and check out and I have personally overseen corrective training to ensure that an incident like this cannot be repeated again. I am sorry that your room fell below your expectations – we do have different categories of rooms, riverside rooms fall under different category to the rooms that are either facing the street or internal facing rooms as some of our guests do prefer the internal rooms as they tend to be larger and quieter. All of our rooms are non smoking so I have asked the housekeeping team to ensure they are much more vigilant at checking and following up if a guest has smoked in a room. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for your constructive feedback and if you would consider coming back to the hotel I would like to offer you a complimentary upgrade to one of our Executive King Bedrooms on the river side for the inconvenience caused to you. If you contact my office on 02074510319 or my pa tobi.isenberg@guoman.co.uk we would be delighted to make all the necessary arrangements for you.

Reviewed July 14, 2011

This hotel is now deservedly five star and is very highly recommended. It is on the Thames 100 metres from the Houses of Parliament, opposite the London Eye, 100 metres from Trafalgar Square and in a superbly restored historic building. The rooms are beautifully appointed with every modern convenience.
Ask for a river view room. There is not, in our opinion, a better place to stay in London than a river-view room here overlooking the Thames.
Over the last few years we have been looked after brilliantly by one of the hotel managers, Srikanth, and we cannot praise this man highly enough. No request has been too difficult. The proprietors, Guoman Hotels, would be well advised to put him on a career-path to head of all of it's hotels.
Expensive but worth every penny.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view king room. Superb.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank bixkut

Thank you so much for your very kind comments following your recent stay with us.

We are absolutely delighted that you so enjoyed your stay with us again at the hotel. As you mentioned the building in which the hotel is located was originally built in the style of a French chateau (1884), it is now listed as a building of Architectural interest (Grade 2 Listed building) and was converted into the Royal Horseguards Hotel back in 1971.

The hotel does have an excellent location and the views from our River Facing Bedrooms are breath taking, with excellent views of the London Eye, The River Thames, and heading down river towards St Pauls and the City. I am delighted that your expectations were what you anticipated and more!

Thank you for your very kind comments about Srikanth on Reception – It will be my pleasure to pass onto him your very kind words of appreciation – I will also enjoy sharing your review with the rest of our team.

Please don't hesitate to let us know when you are next planning a trip to London!

Kind Regards
Anna- Marie Dowling

Reviewed July 11, 2011

The hotel was perfectly situated, very central but not noisy. The room was great, with a lovely view out to the embankment gardens and the Thames. Staff were very pleasant and polite. We particularly liked the Wibledon special afternoon tea.
All in all we had a wonderful stay and will certainly return and recommend highly to others.

Room Tip: Ask if river view available
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Machapak

I was delighted to read your review on tripadvisor and will certainly pass on your comments to the entire team. The location of the hotel is very central and as you mentioned away from all the noise and crowds that you would expect from a centrally located hotel. Our Head Pasty Chef (Joanne Todd) and her team will be delighted that you enjoyed your Wimbledon afternoon tea. I certainly look forward to welcoming you back to the Royal Horseguards Hotel the next time you are in London overnight.

Kind Regards

Reviewed July 10, 2011

I really was surprised with The Royal Horseguards. With a non-distinct front, the entrance is presented by 2 beautiful wooden doors with glass and brass. Inside is subtle elegance. There isn't any overpowering feeling of grandeur which some Hotels come across as OTT.

To the left is a small efficient reception desk and registration and check-in was quick and painless. Room wasn't ready on our arrival at 1400hrs, but were advised check-in was at 1500hrs (which was different to our advice on booking - possible miscommunication as we booked through booking.com). Nontheless we were booked into an Executive Double, but were upgrade to an Executive King. Staff always friendly and helpful.

The lifts were down a little passageway, which we missed but were quickly redirected by the bell boy.

The room was much better than what I have recently experienced in London by a 4 or 5 star hotel for the price. The room was fresh and clean (white glove clean) and decor had a warm yet clean feel, with a little tech.... built in iPod dock, Computer connections and Plasma TV. Wifi is free. The bathrooms has heated floors and towel rails, twin sinks, a shower cubicle and a bath.

Only disappointing moment (and it was a small moment), was not being able to use Australian plugs, despite the room catering for other countries and also Room Keeping not stocking an adapter....a very minor point.

If I had to choose again, I would definitely put The Royal Horseguards high on the list for a 5 Star hotel to return. I am fairly sure the Executive Double would be a smaller version of the Executive King and would not disappoint.

I believe Room Service was 24hrs but did not try it out, nor did I try the Hotels F&B outlets.

Reviewed July 9, 2011

I stay in London 30-40 nights a year for business, and at times my wife can join me. This was my third stay at the Royal Horseguards Hotel. In room 540 (executive king on the river) the first night's stay, experienced extremely loud music. The first response by the front desk was denial of any knowledge of music in the hotel. Only with repeated calls and asking a staff member to come to the room did a customer service staff explain that there was a function with a live band until 1 AM. Eventually we were move to a smaller room (313) at about 11 PM, and offered a 20% discount on one nights stay (no really a help since my firm is paying for my travel). In the morning we were moved back to an executive king on the river (320), but a room that was billed as quiet. As I write this note, I can hear tonight's live band (11 PM) that will again play until 1 AM. All of this is reminiscent of another night last year with very loud music and the staff denying that it was from the hotel.

I will be back at the Intercontinental for my next trip. If you are keen on the location of the Horseguard's, I recommend the Corinthia, a new hotel that has open across the street (Whitehall Place)

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room. Then ask again.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank EtnaDavid
Reviewed July 4, 2011

Great location but very disappointing stay. Service poor, room size small, bathroom poor a trickle of a shower. Checking out slow and really put a finish on a very disappointing stay. Would not recommend to anyone, there are lots better in London.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank hellyHelly

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a feedback regarding you recent stay at the Royal Horseguards Hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you due to the shower leak in your room. The Maintenance team have rectified the problem that you encountered with your shower. Our rooms do vary in size based on the room categories which are Deluxe, Executive, Junior Suites and Suites. I would also like to apologise for your delay in your check-out experience. I will make certain that the Express Check-Out form which is on the guest key card wallet is highlighted at check-in in future as this will most definitely reduce queues at the Reception Desk. I do hope that your experience will not deter you from returning to the hotel and if you do decide to stay with us again please contact my office directly on 002074510319 and allow me to offer you a complimentary upgrade to an Executive King Bedroom on the River Side for your next visit as a gesture of making amends.

I sincerely hope we do have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel and restore your confidence in our ability to provide a five star experience.