“Exactly what one imagines an English hotel to be-a class act all the way.”

The Royal Horseguards
Ranked #118 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed May 18, 2011

This was the third time I have stayed at this hotel over the course of eight years. Each time I have been delighted with the experience and felt that staying there greatly enhanced my vacation. The service is always outstanding, the atmosphere is one of elegance and old world charm and the location cannot be beat. Located just a block or so from Trafalgar Square you can walk to many of the main attractions, yet it is quiet and relaxing around and within the hotel itself. There are many extras provided as part of your stay ranging from tea and cookies in the room, to newspapers to read in the beautiful lounge, to heated floors and towel racks to ensure your comfort in the room. The Royal Horseguards is classified as a five star hotel and has earned it! I would recommend staying at this hotel to everyone visiting London as a gift to themselves.

2  Thank beckere

Reviewed May 17, 2011

I arrived tired and stressed to find immediate check -in available and was given an upgrade to a riverview deluxe double. What a wonderful welcome to London! The view downstream towards The City and St. Pauls and across to the London Eye (all red white and blue at night for the Royal wedding ) was breathtaking . The staff were great, the room staff especially so. All the amenities were first rate. The location is so perfect for walking almost anywhere in the Westminster /Mayfair and South Bank area. The wonderful Embankment Gardens are directly below, between the hotel and the Embankment. I cannot imagine staying at a lesser hotel on my future visits to London. I was spoiled. It was hard to return to reality!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank blrGeorgia_USA
HotelLondon, Front Office Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2011

Thank you for talking the time to review your recent stay with us at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. I am delighted with your feedback and pleased that you have found your new home away from home! I will be sure to pass on your positive comments with the rest of the team. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel upon your next visit to London.

Reviewed May 16, 2011

My partner and I stayed her weekend of 7th May. The hotel was more than i had hoped for. The room was fantastic - the bed was huge. View was not good but that was the trade off for an upgrade - and once the curtains were closed i really didnt mind. Bathroom was fantastic and the IPOD port was a wonderful extra. We ate on the terrace. Hussein and his staff made this a wonderful evening. The food was outstanding, and we left the choice of wine to Hussein - and he knows his stuff. Couldnt faultit. It was a wonderful experience sitting on the terrace on a warm balmy night. Went into the bar after dinner and ended up trying a few cocktails! Can recomend the Masrl smith cumming (or whatever it is).
Staff were very friendly, even those i passed in corridors. service was excellent. facilites were very good. I have read some bad or mediocre reviewsfor this hotel on late booking sites but i can only speak as i find. We were wearing jeans when we booked in, and indeed booked out. We were still treated with a warm and friendly professionalism. I think that if you treat the staff well, they will return the favour.

1  Thank LondonTourist1967

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the Royal Horseguards Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your bedroom and all the luxury amenities within the room. It will be my pleasure to pass on your comments to our Food and Beverage department, and especially to Hussein for taking great care of you during your dinner on the Terrace. The cocktail in question is called “The Sir Mansfield Smith-Cumming” – A lively mixture of Scotch, Quince Liqueur, Fresh Lemon and Whisky barrel aged bitters… We certainly look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Royal Horseguards Hotel the next time you are in London.

Reviewed May 15, 2011

Tucked away just a short stroll from the hustle and bustle of Trafalgar Square, this grand hotel is a hidden gem. The staff was warm and inviting and the room (we had an executive king, booked through the hotel website for a very fair price) was splendidly appointed, high ceilings with a luxurious bathroom. Exactly what to expect in a five star hotel.
We were considering other high-end hotels and are we glad we chose the Royal Horseguards, London is going under some major construction (for the 2012 Olympics) and it seems like there was the din of jackhammers and large machinery everywhere but 2 Whitehall Ct. It's a quick one minute walk to the Embankment Tube Station and an easy 30 minute walk to most London attractions. Pubs and restaurants are all within a short walking distance as well.
We were celebrating our 10 year anniversary and the hotel sent up a basket of chocolate covers strawberries and a hand written card from the manager, a very nice touch.
The housekeeping staff was amazing. We felt very comfortable during our four day stay. If you want five star luxury without the pretentiousness, I highly recommend the Royal Horseguards Hotel.

1  Thank NYer32

Thank you for your review on your recent stay at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. The hotel is tucked away in Whitehall, but as you mentioned only a street away from all the hustle and bustle that the city provides. I am delighted that to read that your expectations of the hotel were lived up to and that your bedroom provided all the luxuries that you would expect from a 5 star hotel. Congratulations on celebrating your 10th Wedding Anniversary and I am happy to hear that you appreciated your card and Strawberries.

We certainly look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you both back to the Royal Horseguards Hotel the next time you are in London.

Reviewed May 15, 2011

Came to London to visit clients on business. But travelling with my partner who has never been to London so we also did a bit of site seeing after work.

This hotel is nice.....is it brilliant? Well, not in my eyes but its nice. Would I recommend it? Well, yes but to a select few.

Its a newly renovated, old English, business style hotel in a super location on the edge of London's West End, right next to Embankment tube station and truly orientated towards the well to do but then again you wouldn't be reading this unless your pockets ran deeper than most.

The rooms are tiny, elegant and wonderfully appointed with dreamy beds, sparkling bathrooms complete with recessed tv and other little things like free wifi thats actually works at a decent speed, Ipod dock with piped music and stunning home wares.

In terms of the room types I don't think its worth asking for a standard double unless you prefer to open the window to a brick wall. All the standard doubles are ridiculously tiny and run on the interior as far as we could understand. We paid 30 pounds per night to be shifted to a river view and although the room was still small it had a breath taking view.

So why don't I rate this hotel higher? It just feels too stuffy, its too formal but hey maybe you like that and so the hotel would be perfect for you.

I struggled with things like the fact that I often had to walk outside the hotel to get mobile reception (T-Mobile and 3).and thats really poor for a business style hotel. I didn't like the waiter attempting to serve me three times with white tea when what I kept saying I wanted green tea...I think as a minimum they should understand what type of teas they have!

The really outstanding parts are the Location, Service (although they constantly struggle to understand your requests because the staff are all foreigners but full points for trying because they just keep trying hard until they get what it is your looking for) and the Decor.

So overall, I rate it 91 out of 100 (I don't like the five star thing) .

I liken this hotel to fine cellared wine - its rare, mainly for the well to do and suited to those who really appreciate it.

Room Tip: Get a River view room
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Adelaidian-O
HotelLondon, Front Office Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. Please let me take this opportunity to apologise to you for the incident that you encountered with the waiter, this matter has been raised with the Lounge Manager and further training will be implemented. I was also concerned to read about the mobile phone incident that you experienced. The hotel has a number of mobile phone boosters positioned around the hotel in order to provide our guests with mobile coverage. I have raised your comments with the Operations Manager and this is currently being looked into.

As you mentioned we have invested a great deal into the hotel over the last three years and have reposition ourselves firmly within the five star market. We have also just successfully finished the final phase of our Food and Beverage refurbishment on the Ground Floor and outside terrace. Bedrooms within the hotel do vary in size especially within our Deluxe Category, and all Executive Bedrooms are guaranteed to be from 24 squared Metres in size. I am delighted to read that you decided to upgrade your room to a River facing room with splendid views of the River Thames and the City.

Once again thank you for your constructive review and we certainly look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you both back to the Royal Horseguards Hotel the next time you are in London.

Reviewed May 9, 2011

From the moment we arrived at this hotel, I felt immediately relaxed and looked after in every way. The staff were extremely polite and helpful. The concierge ensured that there was always a taxi ready for us and the room service was flawless.

My boyfriend chose this hotel for our first weekend away and it was honestly so perfect for a couples break. There were really nice touches in the room such as the TV in the bath, ipod dock and anything one would need for a weekend in london (even an umbrella).

The location was perfect, just across from the london eye, and a quick stroll to trafalger square, also we got the boat up to Grenwich for the day and the boat practically left from outside the door. breakfast in the hotel is overpriced no doubt (24 each) however if you really want to treat yourself, it was very enjoyable as was lunch and afternoon tea.

We will definitely be staying here on our next trip to london.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 27days

Many thanks for your review on your recent stay with us at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. It is always pleasing to receive positive comments from our guests. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your in room dining experience, I will certainly make sure that our chef receives this excellent feedback.

It is lovely to read that you both had a perfect stay with us whilst in London, and that you enjoyed the amenities inside your bedroom.

Reviewed May 5, 2011

A perfectly located 5 star hotel. Comfortable without being ostentatious, yet lovely and personable. The fireplace in the lobby with its quietly turned sofa adds to the comfortable atmosphere. My suite was large, well-kept and inviting; and, my tub was an even greater experience as it had a tv above the faucet. Terrif daisy shower and of course, as one has come to expect from 5 stars, all of the accoutrements, and powder room necessities. The location was superb. Seriously superb: Trafalgar Sq., theater, Abbey, bridges, museums, Palace, cocktails. And after you have experienced London, you turn down this side-street and enter a quiet-and-still London, the Royal Horseguards hotel ... Genuinely lovely.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank MsMobileConverg
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2011

Many thanks for your review on your recent stay at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. I was delighted to read that you had a pleasant stay with us and that we were able to cater to your needs. I will most definitely forward your positive comments to the rest you the team.