“A masterclass in terrible hotels”
Review of Oliver Plaza Hotel

Oliver Plaza Hotel
Ranked #681 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I booked this hotel because it looked nice online, How wrong I was. We arrived first thing in the morning and where rudely informed to come back later. Abit taken aback we left our bags and came back later. They couldn't find our booking, then when they did they claimed we had not paid anything, which we HAD. The we got our room keys, went to our room and NOT BEEN MADE. It was in the state the last occupant left it in. A guy checking in the same time got the room next door and he also had his room not made.

They moved us to another room. This room was so small that just by having a suitcase we had no room to move, no fridge, no storage, no room, 1 tiny pillow, the bathroom had no shelfs so we had to put our things on the toilet, the toilet that was so squished into the corner you had to use it sideways to fit. The rooms also had no double glazing so we spent the night lying awake listening to every person who walked past, or screamed or drove or had a fight ect ect.

We got up in the morning to rush down for breakfast, we got no choice in what we had, just what was given, and it was FOUL. Not that the waitress/cleaner cared, she was rude and spoke little english.

ANother point is the rooms heaters cannot be controlled from inside the room, as a result our room was boiling hot, we had to wait for them to turn off the whole building for it to cool down, which didn't happen till 2am.

I would never recommend anyone staying in this poorly run, understaffed, ruin of a hotel.

Room Tip: Don't book here, but if you must, get on the top floor, it MIGHT be a tad less noisy.
3  Thank Laura B
Mangmt, Front Office Manager at Oliver Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2012

Dear Laura,

I am so sorry to read your review about Oliver Plaza. Clearly we have not come up to the mark on this occasion and apologise for your experience. We do not ever give the impression of being much bigger than we actually are, and am sorry to read if that is what has happened.

Our check in time is 2pm and we make it very clear on our reservation confirmation but we do have a luggage room were guest can store there luggage incase of an early arrival or late departure.

We are very sorry to hear about the heating problems you faced. Due to the cold weather in London during November we had switched the heating on but there is a regulator in every room to control temperature and I’m sure had you asked anyone at reception they would have helped you.

Once again I am sorry to read that we did not come to your expected standard but hope this was not due to any miscommunication on our part.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Based on their website, I thought this hotel would be nicer than it actually was, but they have too much working against them...small rooms that prohibit you from walking around the bed without turning sideways, no chair for the "desk", tiny bathrooms where your knees hit the wall when using the toilet and showers the size of a phone booth. The wi-fi system in absolutely archaic and not user-friendly - you have to get a code for a specific number of hours, and you can't use the same code on mulitple devices, and you can't log back on with the same code after you've logged off. And they have the nerve to charge you for that nonsense!! The elevator was the size of a phone booth, and painfully slow. They require you to leave your key when you leave the hotel for "safety" reasons, but it's only b/c they are too cheap to use normal keys or a keyless system. Several times I asked for no housekeeping, but my wishes were ignored. The volume on the tv didn't work, so I couldn't even enjoy that. No closet for clothes - there is a pole that sticks out of the wall over the microwave, so your clothes block that and then get in the way when you're walking around the bed. Walls are very thin - I heard my neighbor sneezing and moving his furniture around.
All in all, a poor choice. I will never stay there again.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less street noise, but you still need to keep the window closed.
1  Thank Jen G
Mangmt, Front Office Manager at Oliver Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Oliver Plaza hotel, we value your feedback as it allows us to improve our guest experience.

Whilst I am happy to read that you enjoyed our convenient location, I am most concerned to read of your disappointment with our service and facilities. We work hard to deliver a warm and friendly service and make our guests stay as comfortable as possible which reflects in all other reviews. Although I am sure your experience was a "one off" we will take this on the chin and review how we are perceived as we realise the importance of "first impressions". Please be assured that your comments have already been followed up.

It is disappointing for any stay to end on a low note, and even more so to learn that you would not consider returning to Oliver Plaza. I am very sorry that your stay with us was not as positive as that of others on this site.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed November 16, 2012

I frequently travel to London on business and, for the past 3 years or so, have been battling to find a good hotel that is reasonably conveniently located for the City, whilst remaining good value for money.
I've found it!
Oliver Plaza is located in a quiet and peaceful location - ideally placed close to Earls Court Underground station (and thus a quick tube ride to the City) - is wonderfully close to some great restaurants and cafes on Earls Court Road and offers friendly, professional hospitality.
The rooms are clean, well appointed and perfectly adequate (if a little on the small side). The Continental Breakfast is generous (good coffee too!) and the staff helpful and obliging.
Their wi-fi system takes a bit of getting used to, but it works fine - which is essential for a business traveller.
A good night's sleep is guaranteed - comortable beds and bedding and NO traffic noise (almost unhead of in London)!
I'll be back.

Room Tip: As all floors are served by a lift, there are no issues with dragging luggage up stairs! There are r...

Dear John,

Thank you for your lovely review of Oliver Plaza Hotel.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our warm and friendly service. As always our location, facilities and service has combined well to make your stay with us an enjoyable experience.

I have also passed on your kind words to the team. Reading such a great report on our service is always a real pleasure. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Contrary to some other reviewers, I found the staff friendly and efficient. The continental breakfast was adequate although I have found greater choice at some 3 star hotels. The single room was comfortable, clean, and in fine repair, though it was a little cramped: someone over 6 feet would have found difficulty sitting on the toilet. But there was a chair and a table to sit at. The free wifi was fine once you got the password which lasted for an hour. The room was overheated, although I turned the radiator valve down to 1, and the room was habitable only by opening the window for an hour each evening, which must lead to problems with their fuel bill.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Mangmt, Front Office Manager at Oliver Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you so much for your kind feedback following your recent stay with us at the Oliver Plaza Hotel.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed our great customer service and found our rooms clean and comfortable which is what we aim to provide at a reasonable price.

I am sorry to read that you had some trouble with the radiator valve in your room. Please accept my sincere apology and rest assured this has been looked into.

Now I look forward to welcome you back at the Oliver Plaza hotel.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed in Oliver Plaza to attend World Travel Market exhibition 2012. The Earl's Court area is good and safe; the hotel is small and old. There is a lift. The furniture is average, no closet for your clothes, a pole and some hungers for the clothes. The shower is the old style stuck on the wall, very small.
The breakfast is average, no eggs.
The personnel is very good. I was impressed with Suresh who tried to help me with everything i asked for. I wanted ice and he managed to find a nearby hotel that had ice and i went there and got it.
Rachid the receptionist of the other shift was also very helpful. They are the only reason i believe one can have a good stay in this hotel. They are both helpful and make you feel they care for your problem.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 4th floor. There was no sound insulation i could hear the snoring from the next roo...
1  Thank MARGARITA3232
Mangmt, Manager at Oliver Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2012

Dear Margarita 3232,

Thank you for posting review about the Oliver Plaza Hotel following your recent with us.

Whilst I am happy to note that you were really impressed with our staff who are often recognized for their great customer service. It’s the corner stone of our service to go an extra mile to help our customers and I’m pleased that you have witnessed it.
As always I’ve passed on your kind words to my great team I have here.

It’s through listening to our customers like you we try to improve our service and rest assured the points you have raised in your review have been looked into.

Now, I sincerely hope to welcome you back at the Oliver plaza.

Kashif Imran

Reviewed November 10, 2012

I have stayed at the Oliver Plaza Hotel on Treborvir Road in november. I't was a very pleasant stay. The room wasen't very large, but good beds, flatpanel-tv, coffey and tea and quite comfortably. The staff was both professionel, helpfull and very kind. So overall I can warmly recommend this unique little hotel close to the tube and with a lot of shoppingpossibilities. And a 24 hours served reception with a allways polite and competent management.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for taking the time to post such a wonderful review about the Oliver Plaza Hotel.

I am glad to read that you enjoyed our hotel facilities and overall experience of staying with us. I was pleased that you liked the service we provided you with and I have past on your kind words to my fantastic team.

Thank you so much for recommending us and I hope it won’t be long before we welcome you back at the Oliver Plaza Hotel.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

The hotel is in a good location, just two minutes walk to the Earl's Court Station. From there you have underground lines to every central location in London.
The room we got was quite small and was with a malfunctioning radiator and windows that cannot be opened. The bed is comfortable and so are the pillows.
When we booked the hotel online we got it for a reasonable price of approx 105£ per night, including breakfast. Upon arrival the manager told us that we are eligible for the continental breakfast only, and if we want an English breakfast we should add 5£ each. The continental breakfast is extremely simplistic, so don't expect too much.
Even though it was written (here in reviews) and on their website that the Internet was complimentary- it is not. They give one hour a day per room for free, and said that if you want more you should pay. But, they gave us more one hour passwords for free upon request, but it didn't feel comfortable to ask every time. The wifi reception in the room was very low and they a very limited bandwidth, so the browsing is slow (the wifi router is next to the receptionist)
As for the staff, something is very wrong there. The relationship between the management and the staff is bad, and we heard and saw them shout at them in a number of instances.

Room Tip: We had our room at ground level facing the street, and it was quite and had very quick access.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tomer76

Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for posting a review about the Oliver Plaza Hotel.

I am pleased to read that you liked our convenient location and found our beds very comfortable which is so important for a good night sleep especially when you are traveling.

I’m disappointed to read that you had some issues with wi-fi connectivity which sometimes might be slow due to the number of users and I sincerely apologise for any inconvenience. please be assured that we have already looked into this matter.

I sincerely hope to welcome you back so that we can show you our true hospitality and change your opinion in a positive way.