“Friendly and efficient staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Oliver Plaza Hotel

Oliver Plaza Hotel
Ranked #655 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Dublin, Ireland
“Friendly and efficient staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

Contrary to some other reviewers, I found the staff friendly and efficient. The continental breakfast was adequate although I have found greater choice at some 3 star hotels. The single room was comfortable, clean, and in fine repair, though it was a little cramped: someone over 6 feet would have found difficulty sitting on the toilet. But there was a chair and a table to sit at. The free wifi was fine once you got the password which lasted for an hour. The room was overheated, although I turned the radiator valve down to 1, and the room was habitable only by opening the window for an hour each evening, which must lead to problems with their fuel bill.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Mangmt, Front Office Manager at Oliver Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed our great customer service and found our rooms clean and comfortable which is what we aim to provide at a reasonable price.

I am sorry to read that you had some trouble with the radiator valve in your room. Please accept my sincere apology and rest assured this has been looked into.

Now I look forward to welcome you back at the Oliver Plaza hotel.

Suresh David

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
ATHENS GREECE
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed in Oliver Plaza to attend World Travel Market exhibition 2012. The Earl's Court area is good and safe; the hotel is small and old. There is a lift. The furniture is average, no closet for your clothes, a pole and some hungers for the clothes. The shower is the old style stuck on the wall, very small.
The breakfast is average, no eggs.
The personnel is very good. I was impressed with Suresh who tried to help me with everything i asked for. I wanted ice and he managed to find a nearby hotel that had ice and i went there and got it.
Rachid the receptionist of the other shift was also very helpful. They are the only reason i believe one can have a good stay in this hotel. They are both helpful and make you feel they care for your problem.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 4th floor. There was no sound insulation i could hear the snoring from the next roo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MARGARITA3232
Mangmt, Manager at Oliver Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Dear Margarita 3232,

Thank you for posting review about the Oliver Plaza Hotel following your recent with us.

Whilst I am happy to note that you were really impressed with our staff who are often recognized for their great customer service. It’s the corner stone of our service to go an extra mile to help our customers and I’m pleased that you have witnessed it.
As always I’ve passed on your kind words to my great team I have here.

It’s through listening to our customers like you we try to improve our service and rest assured the points you have raised in your review have been looked into.

Now, I sincerely hope to welcome you back at the Oliver plaza.

Kashif Imran
Esbjerg, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

I have stayed at the Oliver Plaza Hotel on Treborvir Road in november. I't was a very pleasant stay. The room wasen't very large, but good beds, flatpanel-tv, coffey and tea and quite comfortably. The staff was both professionel, helpfull and very kind. So overall I can warmly recommend this unique little hotel close to the tube and with a lot of shoppingpossibilities. And a 24 hours served reception with a allways polite and competent management.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for taking the time to post such a wonderful review about the Oliver Plaza Hotel.

I am glad to read that you enjoyed our hotel facilities and overall experience of staying with us. I was pleased that you liked the service we provided you with and I have past on your kind words to my fantastic team.

Thank you so much for recommending us and I hope it won’t be long before we welcome you back at the Oliver Plaza Hotel.

Suresh David.
Tel Aviv, Israel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

The hotel is in a good location, just two minutes walk to the Earl's Court Station. From there you have underground lines to every central location in London.
The room we got was quite small and was with a malfunctioning radiator and windows that cannot be opened. The bed is comfortable and so are the pillows.
When we booked the hotel online we got it for a reasonable price of approx 105£ per night, including breakfast. Upon arrival the manager told us that we are eligible for the continental breakfast only, and if we want an English breakfast we should add 5£ each. The continental breakfast is extremely simplistic, so don't expect too much.
Even though it was written (here in reviews) and on their website that the Internet was complimentary- it is not. They give one hour a day per room for free, and said that if you want more you should pay. But, they gave us more one hour passwords for free upon request, but it didn't feel comfortable to ask every time. The wifi reception in the room was very low and they a very limited bandwidth, so the browsing is slow (the wifi router is next to the receptionist)
As for the staff, something is very wrong there. The relationship between the management and the staff is bad, and we heard and saw them shout at them in a number of instances.

Room Tip: We had our room at ground level facing the street, and it was quite and had very quick access.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tomer76
Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for posting a review about the Oliver Plaza Hotel.

I am pleased to read that you liked our convenient location and found our beds very comfortable which is so important for a good night sleep especially when you are traveling.

I’m disappointed to read that you had some issues with wi-fi connectivity which sometimes might be slow due to the number of users and I sincerely apologise for any inconvenience. please be assured that we have already looked into this matter.

I sincerely hope to welcome you back so that we can show you our true hospitality and change your opinion in a positive way.

Suresh David.
Oxford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

The Oliver Plaza Hotel was a tremendous disappointment. I found the staff's conduct to be reprehensible, and the rooms to be less than expected. During my stay at the hotel I witnessed a receptionist using the computer at the front desk to search for a new job - rather than serve the guests who were lining up in front of him. I was confronted with a night receptionist who felt the need to very angrily disclose his entire life story to me when I lodged a complaint - apparently, he lost a lot of money in share trading and managed a larger hotel at some point, which therefore gave him the authority to behave in a crass and inappropriate manner when dealing with me. (Apparently, he's far too important a person to deal with the issue I had during my stay!) I saw a receptionist nastily gossiping about a guest with his colleague, and without the appropriate discretion that one would normally take when doing so - I was right in front of him, yet he kept on going! Yet what was most disappointing about this hotel was that there is an unusual degree of embellishment going on with their advertising - that is to say, the rooms are not as pictured. The walls in my room were cracked and shabby, and the carpet was very tired looking. The furniture in the room appeared to have been installed rather recently, but that hardly redeemed the poor state of the room itself. The bathroom was very old, and I was very disappointed to find mould growing in the shower. (Oh, and breakfast was just rubbish! Go to a cafe instead. Starbucks is right around the corner!)

If the prices were cheap and there were no other options available in the Earls Court area, I might consider returning. However, I'd have to be really, really, REALLY desperate.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank OdelieJack
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

My experience at the Oliver Plaza was very pleasant. The gentlemen at the reception desk during the day are exceptionally professional – wonderfully accommodating, charming conversationalists, very polite indeed. When making the booking over the telephone we informed the manager that our flight back to New York had been delayed and, noting that we had come to London for business purposes only, and that we had no interest in going around the city in our final few days, he was more than happy to provide us with complimentary Internet usage for the duration of our stay. I was exceptionally impressed with the service I received even before I arrived at the hotel. The rooms are reasonably comfortable and well maintained, and the complimentary breakfast was satisfying enough. I cannot stress enough, however, that nicer croissants need to be provided, although this is coming from someone who has spent a great deal of time in hotels in France and Switzerland, and has come to expect delicious pastries for breakfast. Finally, the location is very convenient – Earls Court Tube Station is a rather short distance away, offering connections to popular locations in central London as well as a train service to Heathrow Airport. It is also located near a number of cafes and restaurants in Earls Court Road, and the number 74 bus which goes to both Knightsbridge and Oxford Street. I would certainly consider returning to the Oliver Plaza again based on the wonderful service I received.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank newyorker91
Mangmt, Front Office Manager at Oliver Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

I’d like to thank you for such a wonderful review about your recent stay at the Oliver Plaza.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, even more so reading that you would visit us again. Our team do pride themselves on consistently delivering only the best service in a warm and relaxing environment and am happy that this reflects in the feedback we receive. You are right, we are ideally situated for visiting London, be it business or pleasure.

Now we are looking forward to welcome you back at Oliver Plaza Hotel.

Kind regards,

Paris, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

The majority, if not all, of the staff that I encountered at this hotel were exceptionally friendly and welcoming. It's disappointing to read the poor reviews of their behavior by previous guests, as I really felt that, of all the hotels I've stayed at in London, the staff here conducted themselves with an appropriate level of professionalism, which is something that I rarely see. They were polite, courteous, highly accomodating, and friendly (and not in an invasive way). Indeed, when I went down to breakfast one morning, I saw a gentleman who was incredibly rude to a server, bordering on being verbally abusive. This member of staff did not get annoyed, and even attempted to calm the gentleman down by offering him a complimentary English breakfast. Even after this, when the gentleman continued to behave in a completely unacceptable manner, the server maintained their composure and was friendly. The staff at this hotel are incredibly professional, and really seem to understand that they are in the hospitality business. It's really commendable.

However, even with this in mind, I would probably not return to the Oliver Plaza Hotel. The rooms are perfectly adequate (admittedly, there is still a great deal of room for improvement), but there are many other hotels in the area that offer equally comfortable accommodation at a more competitive rate. I'd also strongly recommend that the hotel changes it's policy and offers complimentary Internet usage to guests, as that would make potential clients more inclined to make a reservation.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
7 Thank arsolo
Mangmt, Front Office Manager at Oliver Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Arsolo,

Thank you so much for your kind feedback following your recent stay with us at the Oliver Plaza Hotel. You’re right our team is one of our biggest assets and I am happy to read that you experienced our excellent customer service. Our staff has very individual and warm approach to every guest and they are often recognised for their professionalism and great customer service.
I am sorry to read that you were not happy with our rooms. Each and every one of our rooms is individually designed and decorated and vary in size and layout. I am confident we can find you a room that you will be very comfortable with. It’s through listening to our guests like you we try to improve our service and you will be happy to know that we have already implemented a complimentary internet service to all our guests.

I honestly hope to see you back at the Oliver Plaza and experience the stay in our other room types.