“What a RUDE "welcome" at this hotel”
Review of Oliver Plaza Hotel

Oliver Plaza Hotel
Ranked #670 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“What a RUDE "welcome" at this hotel”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

We have just checked into this hotel...and are amazed at the rude and dismissive attitude from the guy on reception.

He virtually threw the check-in forms at us...not making eye contact when speaking..and acting in an unfriendly manner.

Upon walking in, he looked my partner up and down with a look of revulsion, clearly this place is not "gay friendly"

He also dismissed my questions about the reason for WRITING down our card number on a piece of paper, surely this is just fraud waiting to happen? When I asked if the information would be destroyed after departure, he did not answer,

I shall make sure that it is destroyed before we leave tomorrow.

The room is horribly small, with 2 beds in. There is not even a wardrobe here.

The bathroom is equally as small with a very noisy extractor fan.

With competition for business high, and in this financial climate...this hotel needs to learn customer service.

Room Tip: Do not book unless you want poor service
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank Simon_Nicks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Australia
Reviewed June 5, 2012

The room was TINY! suffocating. You couldn't sit on the toilet and close the bathroom door. There was no room to put your luggage in your room. There is literally 30 cm of floor around the bed. The window does not open. The room seemed to be like an attic. We has pre paid for this hotel and ended up leaving cause we could stand it. It was SO small. We lost the 2 nights money but it was worth it not having to stay in this hole.
Earls Court is not a nice area. Train Station area has an unsafe feeling and it is far from the main attractions of London.
The clerk at the front desk couldn't understand the problem. The rooms look nothing like the pictures.
I have stayed in many third world countries with hotels far better than this one.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Aussially

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Ottawa
Reviewed May 27, 2012

I'll keep this short. My experience at the Oliver plaza was greatly disappointing.
Pros:
1. Proximity to Earls Court (only good if you have business there i.e. a show or exhibition)
2. Proximity to Earls Court Subway (walking distance good for one large luggage per person)
3. The fact that the subway link Heatrow to Earls court makes it cost effective. A cab will cost you approx 65 pounds one way from airport to Earls court vs. +/- 6 pnds for the subway ride.

Now for the cons, I honestly only put 3 max normally, but for this hotels, many warnings must be given!
Cons:
1. My room was +/- 7 feet by 10 feet with the addition of a tiny toilette and shower. (So one person only)
2. No space to put my luggage at all,
3. No space to put my clothing other then 5 hangers,
4. No A/C, No clock,
5. Expensive internet if you need more then one hours (5 pounds for 3 hrs and 10 pounds for 24 hrs) The catch is that the system is so bad that if you use the provided code on your laptop, you will not be able to use it on any other devices such as smart phone etc.
6. Of course don't expect a pool or a small fitness area
7. Staff courtesy (other then one person) is highly questionable. Twice they were rude with me making me doubt who was the customer (and I was not giving them a hard time at all, it was a simple casual question!)

Any way. When I read that this place is great and at a great cost, my comment is that you pay for what you get and I'm still wandering if it does.

Finally, it was a one time experience for me and never again.

Room Tip: We had 3 rooms in this hotel. One in the basement (larger room), 305 and 405. The room on the forth...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Patrick L
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 26, 2012

Lovely stay at Oliver Plaza in the studio flat. everything was very clean with excellent facilities. Had friends staying in 306 which was clean and comfortable although quite small, not a lot of room for luggage and people. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The location was great just a short walk to Earls Court tube. The whole of the hotel was very clean and I would have no hesitation in booking a return visit. Thank you everyone at the hotel.

Room Tip: If you can afford it book the studio flat.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank met02
Mangmt, Front Office Manager at Oliver Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2012
Dear Reviewer

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, even more so reading that you would visit us again. Our team do pride themselves on consistently delivering only the best service in a warm and relaxing environment and am happy that this reflects in the feedback we receive.

I’d like to thank you for such a wonderful review and hope to welcome you back soon at the Oliver Plaza.

Kindest regards,
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Stayed for a week during a recent holiday in London. It's in a very handy location in Earls Court, only a short walk from the Tube station. The room is very small but functional and was cleaned every day.
Would be great to perhaps have a small fridge in the room for travellers, and note the walls are quite thin so noise could be heard from other guests. However I am also a light sleeper and it didn't interrupt my sleep. If you want a quieter room make sure you ask for the higher levels.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Mangmt, Front Office Manager at Oliver Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on trip advisor following your recent stay at the Oliver Plaza Hotel.
I am delighted to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. Our location is one of our strongest point along with our highly rated customer service. Our rooms are cleaned every day to maintain our high standards of cleanliness.
We do have studio rooms with fridge inside so next time to plan to visit us please let us your special requirements so that we can try to accommodate it.

Now we are looking forward to welcome you back at Oliver Plaza Hotel.

Meanwhile If I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours Sincerely,
Suresh David.
Bristol
Reviewed May 10, 2012

Stayed for one night to attend an event in central London. Was very impressed for the money. Clean modern room, with good facilities. Fair enough, its not exactly the savoy, but brilliant for the money. Very friendly and helpful staff. Will stay again

• Stayed May 2012
Mangmt, Front Office Manager at Oliver Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for taking the time to let us know your feedback from your recent stay with us.

I was so glad to read that you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed our service and facilities. Our hotel is clean, crisp product which aims to provide a good night’s sleep in comfortable and clean surroundings. We are happy to see from your review that we have ticked most of your expectations.

We look forward to receiving you again soon.

Kind regards,
Durham UK
Reviewed May 5, 2012

A one-night stay before working in London the next day...really handy for the Tube, along a street full of small hotels, but definitely among the best of them. Vey friendly and professional welcome and check-in. The room...mine was 306...was small but immaculately clean, comfy bed, TV on the wall...and a small but very decent bathroom. There's something rather satisfying about being in a well-ordered space, everything to hand, and helpful hotel staff to add the personal touch. Breakfast was fine for a quick continental, and overall this hotel is a good find. Earls Court Road is a minute away, pubs, restaurants, shops...yours for the choosing..just go out in the evening and have some fun! On my way back from eating out, a guy came up to me and asked for some change...not the usual, this was a well turned-out fellow not far off my age whose Oyster Card had expired...I happily gave him a tube fare, hoping the karma will come my way one day. So good vibes all round on Trebovir Road.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Mangmt, Front Office Manager at Oliver Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
Dear DurhamUKStuart,

Thank you for such a wonderful review about your recent stay with us and for your compliments regarding the interior decor of our property.

I am pleased to read that you found our entire team to be friendly and helpful and the comfort of your room to be of a high standard. We do hope to see you back at the Oliver Plaza Hotel on any future trips you may be planning to London.

Kind Regards,